Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Challenger Scat Pack and looking at a used one on the forums but am seeing in places there is a T1000 and a T1001. What are the differences because my search wasnt good enough to find the answers. Was hoping to get a few other questions answered while at it.

1. Im stock and at the moment and dont plan on much but want the basics like, adjust fans, shift firmness, shift rpm and torque management so this is my best option

2. I have to send my PCM in to have unlocked or buy another but also thought I read where the dealer most likely wouldnt know the difference or could just return to stock if needed to take in until I bought another.

3. What is the typical cost of an email tune

4. Is it easier to purchase a pcm and tune at the same time

Appreciate any other tips can be added.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
I'm no expert, but know some of the answers :)

For 2016 you need an unlocked PCM. The Trinity 1000 + PCM Swap is the T1001. The Trinity T1000 + Modified PCM is the PKIT-CHALV816-T. The PCM only is CHALV816. You can use the T1000 to tune the new PCM, or swapped PCM.

The ECM apparently stores that you have used a different, or modified PCM, so yes, the dealer can tell, even if you swap back to the original.

A T1000 is $599, an unlocked PCM is $599. The T1000 + Unlocked PCM (PKIT-CHALV816-T) is $999.95. The T1000 is $599, if you send in your PCM to have it unlocked, it's $200. The combo T1000 + swap your PCM (T1001) is $699.95

Emailed tunes someone else can answer.

A Guy

Reactions: blueis300

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that answers all the question. I was going to buy a used T1000 for $350 and then have it unlocked for $200 which would end up being $550. Either way the dealer would know I altered the pcm so why do a lot of people suggest buying an extra pcm? Hmm a lot of money if I dont really plan on doing much considering its a lease. Crap lol way to much to consider.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Thanks that answers all the question. I was going to buy a used T1000 for $350 and then have it unlocked for $200 which would end up being $550. Either way the dealer would know I altered the pcm so why do a lot of people suggest buying an extra pcm? Hmm a lot of money if I dont really plan on doing much considering its a lease. Crap lol way to much to consider.
If it's a lease, I wouldn't bother making the investment, unless you're committed to buying the car after the lease is up. I have a 2015 that I took delivery of in September '14 (one of the first) and only now have I reconciled myself to the fact that no aftermarket firm is going to "crack" these PCMs like they have for the 2014 and earlier, and bought a second PCM for tuning.

It is irritating as hell that FCA has taken this stance on the software, joining many other firms in trying to manipulate the DMCA and foist the attitude that they (the manufacturer) "owns" the software that runs the vehicles...but hopefully, given a couple of recent Supreme Court rulings, this approach will be squashed (are you listening SEMA?).

Supreme Court Decision Delivers Major Victory for Aftermarket

Chief Justice Roberts used the following analogy in the Supreme Court ruling:

"Take a shop that restores and sells used cars. The business works because the shop can rest assured that, so long as those bringing in the cars own them, the shop is free to repair and resell those vehicles. That smooth flow of commerce would sputter if companies that make the thousands of parts that go into a vehicle could keep their patent rights after the first sale. Those companies might, for instance, restrict resale rights and sue the shop owner for patent infringement. And even if they refrained from imposing such restrictions, the very threat of patent liability would force the shop to invest in efforts to protect itself from hidden lawsuits. Either way, extending the patent rights beyond the first sale would clog the channels of commerce, with little benefit from the extra control that the patentees retain. And advances in technology, along with increasingly complex supply chains, magnify the problem."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah unsure if I plan on keeping because only owned it for 3 months and while I am really happy with it at the moment its to soon to really know if Ill want to keep it. Guess I will just enjoy the car for now and maybe just do some basic things I now its easy to return to stock. M last lease I did sway bars, strut bar, intake and swapped out wheels that was able to put original ones at the end.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
I think the major reason people buy the 2nd unlocked PCM is, if you take the car to the dealer, and they flash the PCM for whatever reason, it will remove the custom tune. So you put the original in, take it to the dealer, they flash it and no issue. return the unlocked 2nd PCM, and back in business. Although it always occurs to me, that you'd loose whatever they flashed for. If you had a bluetooth issue, and the flash fixed it, your bluetooth issue will be back as soon as you swap back the unlocked PCM. A Guy

Reactions: blueis300
1 - 6 of 6 Posts