Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am installing the srt suspension kit on my rt.i heard that the front was the harder part,not for me.the front went easy.i am doing the rear end by removing the bolt on the control arms and pivoting it down to take the pressure off the springs.now i cant get the bolt back in.anybody have any tricks?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
good luck getting it back in. iam searching for the write up now myself.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Support BOTH sides of rear of car with jack stands (important because if there's any weight on the opposite rear tire, bolt hole alignment is more difficult). Here's what's needed after getting (only) one lower control arm bolt out. To reinstall, Place your floor jack in the lower control arm recessed pocket, and raise it up a little. This is the point at which you can see the bolt hole still doesn't line up all the way. The trick is to then take a small bottle jack (don't remove the floor jack!) and bottle jack the end of the control arm so the bolt hole lines up. You may also find that a leverage bar (like a huge flat head screw driver or the flat end of a lug wrench) is helpful for the holes to line up. FYI, the aluminum control arm bushing is NOT threaded (it only looks that way from when you took the bolt out), so you will have to tap the bolt to go back in.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Support BOTH sides of rear of car with jack stands (important because if there's any weight on the opposite rear tire, bolt hole alignment is more difficult). Here's what's needed after getting (only) one lower control arm bolt out. To reinstall, Place your floor jack in the lower control arm recessed pocket, and raise it up a little. This is the point at which you can see the bolt hole still doesn't line up all the way. The trick is to then take a small bottle jack (don't remove the floor jack!) and bottle jack the end of the control arm so the bolt hole lines up. You may also find that a leverage bar (like a huge flat head screw driver or the flat end of a lug wrench) is helpful for the holes to line up. FYI, the aluminum control arm bushing is NOT threaded (it only looks that way from when you took the bolt out), so you will have to tap the bolt to go back in.
Good info there. I had to use a floor jack and some prybar convincing to get the lower control arm to line back up so the bolt would go through when I did mine. I ended up also putting a small piece of wood cut at an angle on the top of my jack so that it fit the control arm pocket that helped guide it in place.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks cannonballcobb.i was able to get the bolt in.now i have the other side to do.i did have only one side on a jack stand.when i do the other side i will have both on jack stands.also did you torque the control arm bolts after the wheels are on the ground?

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
thanks cannonballcobb.i was able to get the bolt in.now i have the other side to do.i did have only one side on a jack stand.when i do the other side i will have both on jack stands.also did you torque the control arm bolts after the wheels are on the ground?
Yes torque those with the wheels on the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts