Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of you out there who have been waiting for your cars to be built, I have a story on how I got my car built.

I ordered my car in January. My dealer who is one of the largest Challenger dealers in the country told me it would be 6-8 weeks.

A week after ordering the car, I received the VIN and I went on insight and it said my car was D1 and scheduled to be built on 2/14.

Well, as many of you know 2/14 came and went. I called my salesman who told me he couldn't tell anything else than my car was D1.

I called Chrysler customer care on a daily basis and they told me to talk to the dealer.

This went on for a few weeks. My salesman got pissed at me for calling him and telling him that insight says this or that and he finally told me that I wasn't supposed to have insight and he wasn't going to follow up on any info that I received from it.

After weeks and weeks of going back and forth with Chrysler customer care and my dealer, I spoke to some guy at Chrysler customer care who told me that a car should only be in D1 for 10-14 days and that there is something wrong if my car is beyond that. He elevated my case to the next level.

I thought I was making progress. The next day someone from customer care called me and told me that my car was on the appropriate track and the story of 10-14 days was BS.

I started to believe that my car would never be built. There was another car about 50 miles away that was what I wanted but I wasn't fond of the color black (sorry to those who love black). I had told myself not to go there since I would end up buying that car and I would then have regrets when my car showed up or I saw another car in the same paint scheme.

One Sunday, I decided to check it out and low and behold I made a deal for the car. The car had a scratch on it that needed to be repaired before I took delivery. By the next day I was already having buyers remorse. I found out the 2nd dealer had the same owner as the 1st dealer and they let me out of the deal as long as I purchased the first car. Whew!

By this time it was 8 weeks since I ordered the car. Even if it was built right away it wouldn't arrive for 4 more weeks making it 12 weeks.

I decided I needed to shake things up. I went on Linkedin and looked for high ranking Chrysler people and I found one who had his personal email posted (for those who haven't used Linkedin, you can only contact people you know directly). I assume he had this posted incase a headhunter wanted to contact him. Anyway, I emailed at around 2pm and told him my story and asked if he could help me or put me in touch with someone who can.

At about 8pm he emailed me and said he could help me and he asked me to send him my information. I was surprised that he replied. I didn't get my hopes up because I figured he would pass me over to one of his minions.

I went to work the next day and at around noon, I received a phone call and it was him. He then went on to tell me that my car was being built at that moment. I was stunned. I had to ask him if he was serious. He said it was being built and I got lucky because my color blackberry pearl was going to be restricted the next day.

Over the next few weeks I watched insight as my car moved through the system. At one point it stalled at shipping for ground effects. I emailed him again and he told me that he talked to the logistics guys and they would get it moving. He emailed once a week to give me a status update and quoted the date of arrival as 4/20. The car arrived at the dealer on 4/19.

I would love to give all the guys waiting for your cars this guys name and email address but I do not want him to regret helping me. I wanted to pass along this story so it may inspire you to try making some contacts yourself.

Every time I tell this story I preface it with, "If someone was to tell me this story I would call bullsh*t on them

Good luck on getting your car built.

Harry

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If it's the same Mark, he helped me get Super Track Pack added to my order after it went D1. We like to complain about Chrysler, but I don't believe you'd get the same help out of a Ford or GM exec.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Cool story! Very smart not to settle, it only ends up costing you in the end. Congrat's on the new car!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think Chrysler had issues at the beginning of the year and obviously at the beginning of the 2011 Challenger production run. I ordered mine on 3/18 from my local dealer, good size, but not that large, and just 4 weeks later, it was here. Never called my dealer once or even checked on its status. Having stripe delete saves a good 2 weeks from what I've found, but still, 4 weeks is better than any other new car I've ever ordered.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
You can order and wait weeks or you can spend weeks looking at dealer inventories to find the exact car you want, just like I did. You can tell by the few number of mods I made. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,730 Posts
It just goes to show you that sometime you have to have someone in your corner. I had Bob Frederick and he was great in expediting my order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts