Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the 'naked' weight of these rims? I'm thinking about changing mine out but am only really interested if I can get something with significantly less rotational mass.

Thanks!

-Troy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does anyone know the 'naked' weight of these rims? I'm thinking about changing mine out but am only really interested if I can get something with significantly less rotational mass.

Thanks!

-Troy
I believe they're around 27-28 lbs.

They're actually surprisingly light for cast wheels.

I'll give you an exact number as soon as I get my car, I'm swapping the wheels out almost immediately for something less blingy and less expensive to replace.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, they are forged because you can't get this kind of finish from a cast wheel.. I really dig the look of the classic wheels but I know that even if they are pretty light, the weight is in the wrong place (away from the hub), in the interest of the look. I've used a couple different sets of forged wheels on motorcycles and it's a great performance upgrade there, but never done it on a cage before (or had a car worth doing it to.)

Been looking at the TSW nurburgring, not in love with the design aesthetic but I know that's "what works" engineering wise, and it's also very affordable... The age old debate... looks or performance...!

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's because they are forged.
Er, whoops, I mean, yes! Well done catching that! I was only testing ;)

I actually have a set of Factory Repro SRT wheels sitting here, waiting to go on the Challenger when it shows up, they are most definitely cast and weigh in at 30.5 lbs each (and is actually one of the lightest 20" cast wheels I could find).

I'm using them as a stopgap, they're cheap, they take the factory tires, look decent and will give me time to figure out exactly which wheels I eventually want to go with.

I found it very hard to find weights on a lot of the wheels I was shopping for, nobody seems to list them, it's as though the only possible thing you could be concerned about is bling rather than performance.

The Nurburgring is a cast wheel as well though isn't it? They don't seem expensive enough to be forged - looks like the barrel is about the same thickness as it is on the SRT wheels I have so that's going to increase your moment of inertia and screw with acceleration.

The Weld wheels a few people are running are very light, but I don't believe they're supposed to be used on the street, drag strip only.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Er, whoops, I mean, yes! Well done catching that! I was only testing ;)

I actually have a set of Factory Repro SRT wheels sitting here, waiting to go on the Challenger when it shows up, they are most definitely cast and weigh in at 30.5 lbs each (and is actually one of the lightest 20" cast wheels I could find).

I'm using them as a stopgap, they're cheap, they take the factory tires, look decent and will give me time to figure out exactly which wheels I eventually want to go with.

I found it very hard to find weights on a lot of the wheels I was shopping for, nobody seems to list them, it's as though the only possible thing you could be concerned about is bling rather than performance.

The Nurburgring is a cast wheel as well though isn't it? They don't seem expensive enough to be forged - looks like the barrel is about the same thickness as it is on the SRT wheels I have so that's going to increase your moment of inertia and screw with acceleration.

The Weld wheels a few people are running are very light, but I don't believe they're supposed to be used on the street, drag strip only.
The TSW wheels are mfg using rotary forging, which wastes much less material then standard forging process, probably a big part of why they are so cost competitive. Their 20" wheels weigh between 24-25 lbs...

I agree it is funny how car people don't seem to care about wheel weight, unsprung weight reduction is so noticeable in every aspect of the vehicle, ride quality, braking, turn in, and acceleration... Then again maybe that feeling of improvement is only noticeable on 2 wheels vs. 4?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The TSW wheels are mfg using rotary forging, which wastes much less material then standard forging process, probably a big part of why they are so cost competitive. Their 20" wheels weigh between 24-25 lbs...
Ah I see, the rotary forging is a secondary step after they cast the wheel to draw out the barrel, very interesting.

It definitely does appear to keep the weight down for sure, but like you, I wish they'd produce more designs than the relatively modern looking Nurburgring & Interlagos.
I agree it is funny how car people don't seem to care about wheel weight, unsprung weight reduction is so noticeable in every aspect of the vehicle, ride quality, braking, turn in, and acceleration... Then again maybe that feeling of improvement is only noticeable on 2 wheels vs. 4?
My guess is that, yes, the wheels on a motorcycle represent so much more of the vehicle's mass and you're directly connected to one of them through the fork, so the effects of lighter wheels are significantly more noticeable.

Cars have power steering and power brakes, so the gyroscopic and inertial effects of heavier wheels are far less noticeable - on the Challenger, you're only looking at what? 200 lbs of wheels & tires on a 4000 lb car, so I can see it being less noticeable for most drivers compared to what? 70 lbs of wheels & tires on a 400 lb bike with no power steering and unassisted hydraulic brakes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cars have power steering and power brakes, so the gyroscopic and inertial effects of heavier wheels are far less noticeable - on the Challenger, you're only looking at what? 200 lbs of wheels & tires on a 4000 lb car, so I can see it being less noticeable for most drivers compared to what? 70 lbs of wheels & tires on a 400 lb bike with no power steering and unassisted hydraulic brakes.
That's a good point... believe it or not even one challenger wheel weighs more than BOTH motorcycle wheels! A front 17" forged wheel on a bike weighs between 6-7 lbs. :browsmiley: Those wheels though, look quite alot like the modern TSWs too...

Well let me know what you find when you do weigh the wheel, I would wonder openly if going to a forged 24l/25 lb. wheelset + SRT8 suspension would give the RT an SRT8 6.1 capability. All while looking better and getting decent MPjeez. :D

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,054 Posts
I understand all about the wheel weight thing, but I could care less.

IMO, the Heritage R/T Classic wheels are the best looking wheels to ever come out of the factory.

When I spotted my R/T C on the lot, that was it. The combo of the DY, R/T dual side stripes, and those Heritage rims just screamed "take me home, I'm yours".

I just love the looks of those rims on any Challenger.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's a good point... believe it or not even one challenger wheel weighs more than BOTH motorcycle wheels! A front 17" forged wheel on a bike weighs between 6-7 lbs. :browsmiley:
Oh I can believe it, but I was talking about the weight of the stock motorcycle wheels/tires, I know that on my bike, they're cast, so they're not lightweight.

The super sexy magnesium buggers though, oh yes, those are some light wheels :)
Those wheels though, look quite alot like the modern TSWs too...
Well yeah, it makes sense, if you have a thin barrel, you need plenty of support around the periphery to maintain rigidity, so lots of thin spokes are better than a few thick ones.
Well let me know what you find when you do weigh the wheel, I would wonder openly if going to a forged 24l/25 lb. wheelset + SRT8 suspension would give the RT an SRT8 6.1 capability. All while looking better and getting decent MPjeez. :D
Soon as I have them off, I'll let you know.

Should be picking up the car this weekend or next and will be taking it to the tire shop as soon as I get it back to Los Angeles.

·
Registered
254 Posts
IMO, the Heritage R/T Classic wheels are the best looking wheels to ever come out of the factory.
They are great looking wheels, but chrome (or polished aluminum) isn't my thing.

I have a set of black wheels ready to go on, as well as a blacked out fuel door :)

The Classics will be coming off, going into bubble wrap and getting thrown in a closet before I curb one of them :) (after I've weighed one, of course :))

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, I finally weighed them just now (I only got the car on Saturday :))

I got 31 lbs on the little fish weighing hook I weighed the SRT Reproductions on and 32 lbs on my bathroom scale upstairs.

These are takeoffs from a 2011 R/T Classic, the spokes are solid and not hollow, I would imagine that the SRT forged rims are quite a bit lighter.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I finally weighed them just now (I only got the car on Saturday :))

I got 31 lbs on the little fish weighing hook I weighed the SRT Reproductions on and 32 lbs on my bathroom scale upstairs.

These are takeoffs from a 2011 R/T Classic, the spokes are solid and not hollow, I would imagine that the SRT forged rims are quite a bit lighter.
Wow 31-32 for the stock forged aluminum polished wheels? I can't beleive they are so heavy, that's cast territory! :scratchhead:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow 31-32 for the stock forged aluminum polished wheels? I can't beleive they are so heavy, that's cast territory! :scratchhead:
Yeah, I was quite surprised as well, that's why I tried them on two scales.

Barring some strange gravitational anomalies in the Los Angeles area, they appear to be surprisingly heavy.

Indeed, the cast wheels that went on are lighter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe you asked for just the wheel weight but I weighed wheel/tire combo mounted GoodYear F1 tires and digital bath scale I have said 62 lbs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I spent tonight slogging through the Forged Wheel list on the main forum page and came across these;
Driverz Inc

They're classic 5 spoke style, but rotary forged so they should be a lot lighter than stock and they come in multiple finishes.

I shall have to look into getting a set when I go staggered during my next bout of ridiculous overtime :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts