Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to open my trunk earlier today and nothing...tried the button inside and the one on the FOB...

After managing to fit into the trunk through the opening behind the rear seats I located and pulled the manual release handle.

According to my Fluke it's getting voltage the actuator motor just shit the bed, without warning.

I started looking for replacement solenoids, Dodge wanted over $180 for a replacement, rockauto was better at $62, I eventually found several different vendors on ebay selling them for $25 shipped, so we'll see.

I'll be attaching some rope or something to the release handle until the part arrives.

one thing after another with the big dodge lately...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If you look closely at one of those actuators, 10 years is a long time for such a low quality item. I had one die on my just off warranty '72 Cutlass. It had the key to open it up so I didn't fix it until I was about to trade the car. $25 isn't bad.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the one on a Dart we had quit after 3 years, they replaced it under warranty tho.
I didn't realize how much I use my trunk until I wasn't able to open it. Hopefully the part comes in today or tomorrow so I can replace it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was an easy 5 minute fix.
Two 10mm bolts and one connector.
Fun fact: the release provides the ground for the trunk light circuit.
The $21 ebay part apparently came from FCA...from China.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,590 Posts
Are you going to tear the old one apart?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you going to tear the old one apart?
No, I don't know where to source the correct servo motor.
Upon inspection the motor didn't have enough torque to actuate the release mechanism.
After 10 years I'm guessing the brushes in the $2 electric motor are gone? The plastic gears seems ok, which is usually the point of failure on small servos (like automotive AC air damper actuators for instance).

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,590 Posts
No, I don't know where to source the correct servo motor.
Upon inspection the motor didn't have enough torque to actuate the release mechanism.
After 10 years I'm guessing the brushes in the $2 electric motor are gone? The plastic gears seems ok, which is usually the point of failure on small servos (like automotive AC air damper actuators for instance).
Throw it in the back of your tool cabinet, your replacement one will strip a gear 2 weeks after you throw it away.
I fought a mode door actuator in my dad's Concord twice. The easiest way to get it out is, step 1, remove front seat...

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
4 Posts
it was an easy 5 minute fix.
Two 10mm bolts and one connector.
Fun fact: the release provides the ground for the trunk light circuit.
The $21 ebay part apparently came from FCA...from China.
My car is having the same problem. Can you send me the link where you ordered your replacement from?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
^ i ordered it from Steve white motors. Much better pricing than local dealer.
Edit: the china part failed...

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,753 Posts
I just googled 2016 Dodge Challenger Trunk Actuator and got TONS of results. The trim level and shaker options make no difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts