Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck doesn't open smoothly. It seems kind of stiff and doesn't open all the way to the top unless I put more pressure. It doesn't glide smoothly basically. Any suggestions? Putting some WD-40 on it? or some other product?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,570 Posts
Pretty common as the struts age a bit. I don't think it's a lubrication issue normally

A Guy

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty common as the struts age a bit. I don't think it's a lubrication issue normally

A Guy
hmm it seems a bit premature for a 2017. Do I need to take it in for warranty work? I'm still under warranty

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,570 Posts
I can't speak to how yours are, but mine, since almost new would open about 4/5s of the way if not pushed fully open. If you aren't careful, it can smack you in the forehead as you reach into the trunk. You can certainly have them look at it, but if it's how most are normally, I don't know they will do anything for you.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I have a 2015 RT and they are already shot. Which is kinda weird because the hood struts are fine.
Really not weird. The trunk is opened/closed a lot more than the hood; so, the trunk struts starting to fail sooner would make sense. If the hood is raised and lowered more often than the trunk lid, that's an indication the person really is a gear head. >:) To the OP, replace them and you will have your answer. If you don't replace them and they get really bad, one day while you're inspecting the inside of the trunk, a wind will come along and blow that trunk lid down until it meets your head. That will be your clue to replace them sooner rather than later. Yes, that happened to me on another car.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,292 Posts
they can go bad faster, if you pull up on the lid as it opens, rather than let the struts do the lifting..of course this is compounded when the struts begins to fail, it makes you lift it up more often, to gain access or simply open the lid.
also, check make sure nothing is snagging it on its travel up..like the trunk wiring at the passenger side hinge, etc that could cause it to wear it out prematurely.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't speak to how yours are, but mine, since almost new would open about 4/5s of the way if not pushed fully open. If you aren't careful, it can smack you in the forehead as you reach into the trunk. You can certainly have them look at it, but if it's how most are normally, I don't know they will do anything for you.

A Guy
that's exactly what happens to mine. It only opens like maybe 3/4 or something maybe less and I have smacked my forehead on it before lol

I used this product to close my trunk. It's pretty neat. https://www.genpartsco.com/store/p100/RED_HEMI_ED._TRUNK_PULL_HANDLE.html

Except mine has no logo. Not sure if that will cause any problems

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,570 Posts
Reactions: SRT8outtaLA

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just bling, yes. Some have has stronger ones made by Strutwise

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f19/stronger-trunk-struts-276218/index2.html#post3746370

Scroll down a few posts on link to see what the stainless struts look like. Sure they could be painted if you didn't like the added bling

I think @soonercruiser was going to get some?

A Guy
thanks they look promising. The last post was from around 2014, I wonder if anyone has gotten some recently? or if I should post there. I'm not sure what strength or pressure level to choose for the 2017 Challenger. From the looks of it, the trunk with this product should pop open all the way like the new Chargers? Is there any installation videos or is the installation the same as any other brand on the Challenger or Charger?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,570 Posts
That was just a thread that had the contact info and pictures. I don't know if there are more current threads. In any case, it doesn't matter, you'd want to contact Strutwise and talk to them about it. All the struts are the same except with spoiler or without. All struts change the same, it's easy, just need to support the trunk while you remove and replace one side at a time. I don't think our Challengers are supposed to pop open by themselves. I think they open a few inches, and you open them to the point they will open fully. As they get weaker, they just don't go all the way up. New, stock struts would likely return to as new behavior, but if you wanted them to open easier by themselves, or perhaps last longer, more lift would seem to be an option.

For a 2016, all trims, Lift Supports Depot lists Trunk w/spoiler as Force (Lbs): 168 Force Newtons: 747

Without spoiler Force (Lbs): 146 Force Newtons: 649 to Force (Lbs): 153 Force Newtons: 681

I'm sure if you spoke to Strutwise, they know what to do, they are the experts

A Guy

Reactions: SRT8outtaLA

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Really not weird. The trunk is opened/closed a lot more than the hood;
Not on my car, I rarely open the trunk because it is a cruiser vehicle...doesn't haul stuff. Now my hood on the other hand, I open that like once a week (just about every weekend) as I am always making tweaks or mods. I am serious, the hood is more likely to be opened then my trunk.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I get groceries 1-2 times a week, and my struts are fine.

Could have been a faulty one from factory.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
I changed mine out cuz it wouldn't hold up with a breeze, I think it's the angle there at cause more wear on them and it seems there not meant to hold up that much weight at that short angle. May be talking out my ass lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts