Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2017 Challenger SXT Plus and, after getting out of my car yesterday and taking a quick glance, I noticed that the trunk gaps between the body and tail lights were uneven on both sides. If you look at the picture below you'll see what I mean.

Is there any quick way to fix this? I called a dealer and they told me I have to get to their body shop, have pictures taken, send the pictures to Chrysler and see if it is covered under warranty.. That sounds kind of ridiculous to me considering I purchased the car about a month ago from them.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
The service advisor told you the process because he hasn't seen the issue. If your dealer has a collision shop, they will likely correct it on the spot.

It's a 5 minute fix. Maybe 15, depending on the amount of trunk trim that needs to be removed. It's a striker/latch adjustment issue. Hopefully one or the other has adjustment.

You could just open the trunk, give it a hard shove to the right, close it, and see how it looks.

And before anyone freaks out about what I suggested, that's how it's done in the final inspection process by Dodge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service advisor told you the process because he hasn't seen the issue. If your dealer has a collision shop, they will likely correct it on the spot.

It's a 5 minute fix. Maybe 15, depending on the amount of trunk trim that needs to be removed. It's a striker/latch adjustment issue. Hopefully one or the other has adjustment.

You could just open the trunk, give it a hard shove to the right, close it, and see how it looks.

And before anyone freaks out about what I suggested, that's how it's done in the final inspection process by Dodge.
Hahah alright, thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot when I'm off work and if it doesn't help then I'll just head to the dealership; no biggie.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Same run around from my local dealership, Reedman-Toll, Langhorne PA. They suck.
Look how far off mine was.
I adjusted it myself. Perfect now.
You'll need touch up paint afterwards as you can see below.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you give it a shove, check to see if you have a risk of deck lid, 1/4 panel contact BEFORE you shove.

Some cars have this risk, others none at all.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If your dealer has a collision shop, they will likely correct it on the spot.
Really? not Reedman-Toll, I was informed they needed photos to submit to corporate. F that. I did the job myself.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Same run around from my local dealership, Reedman-Toll, Langhorne PA. They suck.
Look how far off mine was.
I adjusted it myself. Perfect now.
You'll need touch up paint afterwards as you can see below.

I always try the striker/latch/shove method before going to the hinge. I want an invisible adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
Hello!

I have a 2017 Challenger SXT Plus and, after getting out of my car yesterday and taking a quick glance, I noticed that the trunk gaps between the body and tail lights were uneven on both sides. If you look at the picture below you'll see what I mean.

Is there any quick way to fix this? I called a dealer and they told me I have to get to their body shop, have pictures taken, send the pictures to Chrysler and see if it is covered under warranty.. That sounds kind of ridiculous to me considering I purchased the car about a month ago from them.

Thanks!
I SO want to wash your car! :)

A Guy

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
I have the "VTG" option, (variable trunk gap)..........and it was at "no charge,"

When delivered, the trunk gap was perfect. After break in, when I got to really drive the car, I noticed the wide/narrow gap issue. My dealer adjusted the latch, and all was fine...........until my next cruise!

Mine will shift from one side to the other, but generally will center with a few more hard blasts of fun driving. Everything is tight, but I've come to the conclusion that certain body parts shift around when really getting on it while cruising.

"VTG".................it's just another Mopar "badge of honor" :) lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update:

Went to the dealership and was told to go to the body shop for a quote. They wanted $118 to adjust it. On that note I decided I'd learn to love my Challenger's imperfections. Maybe later down the line I'll try to fix it myself.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Quick update:

Went to the dealership and was told to go to the body shop for a quote. They wanted $118 to adjust it. On that note I decided I'd learn to love my Challenger's imperfections. Maybe later down the line I'll try to fix it myself.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Why isn't this covered under warranty? It's a one month old '17?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Couldn't tell you. I'm going to give Chrysler a ring today and see what they say about it.

Its not like the trunk has to be replaced. It simply has to move over less than an inch.

Good move. This dealer is trying to stick you with charging for an adjustment on a warranty issue. Time to find another dealer IMO, these guys are clowns pulling something like this.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes, you are getting scammed by your dealer. Looks like they are charging 2 hours body labor for trunk lid adjustment.

I doubt that the book time for removing and installing the trunk lid is 2 hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, you are getting scammed by your dealer. Looks like they are charging 2 hours body labor for trunk lid adjustment.

I doubt that the book time for removing and installing the trunk lid is 2 hours.
Figured it was kind of ridiculous. Hopefully Chrysler will direct me in the correct direction where I can get this fixed for little or no cost!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts