Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched for a bit and didn't find what I was looking for. I have a '12 with the 130 and uconnect with 6 BA speakers and the 276 watt amp. I'm wanting to add the OEM trunk kicker speaker and box and need some help. I've read about the 276 and 368 amps having the same part numbers and having to reprogram to get the rear deck sub working. I would like to know what needs to be done to add the trunk speaker. For risk of sounding stupid, will I need to get the upgraded 368 watt amp in order to connect the wiring harness or to do it without having to tap into the rear speakers or will the 276 be enough to power it? Also, will the 130 need to be upgraded? Anything helps, thanks.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
The Kicker box has its own amp that mounts in the middle of the back window.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Kicker box has its own amp that mounts in the middle of the back window.
I believe the Kicker sub is mounted in the spare tire space or along the left side of the trunk. The sub mounted in the middle of the rear deck is the BA sub. The amp for the sub in the rear deck is under the front dash. If I am incorrect, I'm sorry but this is what I understood.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the Kicker sub is mounted in the spare tire space or along the left side of the trunk. The sub mounted in the middle of the rear deck is the BA sub. The amp for the sub in the rear deck is under the front dash. If I am incorrect, I'm sorry but this is what I understood.

This is how I understand it too. Because my amp is 276 watts and I think is under the dash. I believe the system with the rear deck sub has the 368 watt amp under the dash instead. I'm wondering what all I need to add the extra sub and trunk speaker because I don't think my 130 unit has RCA jacks

·
Super Moderator
17,317 Posts
The '08-'11 SRTs had the Kicker option it was 522 watts with called "13 speaker" Kicker audio that comprised of two-way and three-way speakers plus the 10" trunk wall mounted sub.

It utilized a different amp from the 368w BA Sound Group II (R/T models). [this was called the 7 speaker system, plus the parcel shelf mounted 8" sub]

The '12 and later SRT audio option switched over to the HK Performance Audio (900w) with the dual powered subs in the tire well underneath the trunk floor cover.

Reactions: NYHawk

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
The '12 and later SRT audio option switched over to the HK Performance Audio (900w) with the dual powered subs in the tire well underneath the trunk floor cover.
Thanks Hal. I've been curious about this.
So in these and presumably the 2015 (HellCat also) is the box and amp all one unit? Hoping that it is and can be made into a quick disconnect to pull weight out for races...

Obviously rear weight is better than front weight but two 10s, the box and amp if it's all one piece would easily weigh 35-40 lbs I'd think! Remove that and the rear seat gets you down nearly 100 lbs!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Dug around some... Not sure how easy it us to get in and out but...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,317 Posts
Thanks Hal. I've been curious about this.
So in these and presumably the 2015 (HellCat also) is the box and amp all one unit? Hoping that it is and can be made into a quick disconnect to pull weight out for races...

Obviously rear weight is better than front weight but two 10s, the box and amp if it's all one piece would easily weigh 35-40 lbs I'd think! Remove that and the rear seat gets you down nearly 100 lbs!
The standard audio on the SRT (Premium & Hellcat) is the Performance Audio HK 900w system with the twin subs like the picture you have attached.

That sub module bolts in and has the hold down screw assembly that secures it in place.

PS: if you remove the rear seats - there's a lot of sound from the fuel pumps (it sounds like a waterfall plus the whine of the fuel pump) and the additional road noise that the rear seat (mainly foam with a wire frame) attenuates.

I had taken my (rear) interior apart for a project and discovered how much sound insulation the seat provides. The heaviest part is the rear backrest since it has the latches and hinge mechanism for the split folding seat.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The standard audio on the SRT (Premium & Hellcat) is the Performance Audio HK 900w system with the twin subs like the picture you have attached.

That sub module bolts in and has the hold down screw assembly that secures it in place.

PS: if you remove the rear seats - there's a lot of sound from the fuel pumps (it sounds like a waterfall plus the whine of the fuel pump) and the additional road noise that the rear seat (mainly foam with a wire frame) attenuates.

I had taken my (rear) interior apart for a project and discovered how much sound insulation the seat provides. The heaviest part is the rear backrest since it has the latches and hinge mechanism for the split folding seat.
Thanks, yes I did seat delete on mine and had removed the rear seat while the kit was in transit to me and it was pretty significant sound difference for sure. Once the kit was in place it was still louder inside than with the seat foam but not as bad as with floor showing. :)
I may delete again in the HellCat and maybe not...35 lb weight loss is nice and I actually prefer the shelf space to a seat that I won't use not to mention I won't have long tubes and no cats on my HellCat (not for a while anyway lol) so the reverb won't be nearly as bad.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Removing 35lbs from a Hellcat is not going to make a difference.
Of course not it's less than 1% loss...but would be one of many weight loss mods over the life of the car I'm sure. And like I said, I like the shelf look in back and also the "sorry you can't fit in the car it's now a two seater..." so I only have to take my lady with me and not a couple of other yahoos. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if the wires for the 8" sub in the rear deck on a 2012 are live with the 276w amp or will I need to upgrade to the 368w?

·
Super Moderator
17,317 Posts
Does anyone know if the wires for the 8" sub in the rear deck on a 2012 are live with the 276w amp or will I need to upgrade to the 368w?
The 368w amp has the discrete channel for the sub (7 speakers + 1 sub channel, total of 8 channels) - the 6 speaker 276w amp does not.

It appears they all have the same harness, just requires all the other items to get it working.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 368w amp has the discrete channel for the sub (7 speakers + 1 sub channel, total of 8 channels) - the 6 speaker 276w amp does not.

It appears they all have the same harness, just requires all the other items to get it working.

Thank you. The harness was going to be my next question if it didn't work.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
368 watt amp makes the wire for the sub in the back deck active. That wire plugs into amp for the trunk box Kicker and a wiring harness goes from amp to box.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
368 watt amp makes the wire for the sub in the back deck active. That wire plugs into amp for the trunk box Kicker and a wiring harness goes from amp to box.

I've got the amp and kicker and will either have to make the harness or order one from a guy I saw that makes them for $100. I know I could probably tap the rear speaker to get the new sub to work but will probably want to upgrade the other speakers in the future anyway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the 368w amp in along with the two kicker 6.5" rear deck speakers from Steve White Motors here on the forum. I decided to go ahead and replace the BA 6.5 speakers since the rear deck would be off and the new amp is kicker. I also ordered the kicker 6x9s and dash speakers from SWM and hope to put in soon. I ordered the wiring harness from Bob at www.luxte.ch and it was good quality work. It doesn't come with the OEM connectors, but each wire has female connectors that you connect to each pin. Everything is installed and sounds much better than before. The hardest part of the install for me was getting the factory amp out. It wasn't hard to get to, it just seemed impossible to get out. I accidentally knocked the brake sensor off and couldn't figure out why my brake lights weren't shutting off. Popped the sensor back on and everything was good. Is there a need for the OEM 6 speaker BA system? I would like to sell and get a little money back but not sure if people are even interested in it. I would think you would just install kicker if you're going to replace the base system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can anyone point me in the right direction of the guy who makes these harnesses for the 368 amp to power the sub? I just purchased the ren 430n plus kicker speakers and amp.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Can anyone point me in the right direction of the guy who makes these harnesses for the 368 amp to power the sub? I just purchased the ren 430n plus kicker speakers and amp.
Sorry, I've been out of the country for the last week with very limited access to internet. I got mine from www.luxte.ch. I put this address in my last post. This is the harness from the 200W rear shelf amp to the trunk sub. The harness from the front amp to the rear shelf amp should be there from factory because I believe the shelf amp/sub share the same connector type.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts