Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 SRT 8,000 miles....seen no winters and very little rain.

Paint problem....:disappointed:

Where the spoiler is mounted to the trunk lid, the far right side mounting point...the paint is peeling off on the trunk lid. The car is black, and now with the "paint peeling" it has left that area kinda white. The area right now is about an inch square.

Few questions....

1. Anyone else?
2. Is the trunk lid metal?
3. I'm guessing the white-ish area is primer?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Probably scuffing the clear coat. I loosened the nuts up on the ends and cut a piece of stone guard and slipped it under the ends of the spoiler. That way it separates the paint and if it loosens up, it will rub the on the stone guard………..JB.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Go to the dealer, let the body shop fix it under warranty. It will also be on record that way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably scuffing the clear coat. I loosened the nuts up on the ends and cut a piece of stone guard and slipped it under the ends of the spoiler. That way it separates the paint and if it loosens up, it will rub the on the stone guard………..JB.
Not scuffing up paint....the black paint is gone, Just thought this may have been a known problem with these cars....its really kinda odd, spoiler is tight.

I Guess.... the painting process sucks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the same issue, it was in a couple of areas, but it isn't very noticeable since it's wedged right between the spoiler and trunk.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
There is a 2014 PCP Challenger Classic with this exact problem sitting in Prestige Dodge here in Las Vegas. It's on the left hand side right up against the spoiler. All the base coat chipped/peeled off there. I mentioned it to a sales person and they shrugged it off and said they would fix it if I bought it today....geesh

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
They would be obligated to fix it next week too. I'd find another salesman if he told me that.

I haven't been able to check mine as its always dark when I'm up and the car has been coveted in snow. Here r the op's pics. There should be no problem getting that covered.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Why is that spoiler so shiny? Were they gloss black in '12, or has it been repainted? My real question is, if its been repainted, then its been off the car. So did some one mess up the decklid in the removal and re install of the spoiler?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Why is that spoiler so shiny? Were they gloss black in '12, or has it been repainted? My real question is, if its been repainted, then its been off the car. So did some one mess up the decklid in the removal and re install of the spoiler?
I think 2010 was the last year for flat black spoilers on the SRT, 11 and up went to body color with the exception of the 13 and 14 core cars, they come with a flat black spoiler.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 2012 SRT8 with just over 10k miles...haven't noticed this issue, but I live in the south and she's a garage kept daily driver.
Mine is also Garage kept and never seen any salt...only drivin in the rain and hand full of times.....just bad paint or prep in the factory.

O well :slant:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
100% Factory paint.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had this issue with a 2012 rear decklid spoiler. When they removed it from the car they found it was possibly set on the car at the factory while the paint was still soft and lifted to re-center it taking off a small amount of paint leading to even more flaking off. They had to re-paint the entire rear deck lid and spoiler.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just an update to what I did...

Removed both outside spoiler nuts...just the two of them.

I was able to pry the corners of the spoiler up about 3/4 of an inch. I wedged some old books under the spoiler to keep it up there. This was just enough space for me to clean the damaged area under the spoiler, and then with a skinny paint brush I able to paint the trunk lid....two coats.

The paint at both ends of the spoiler, on the trunk lid was flaking off...so I did the same to the other side.

After a couple days of paint drying .....I placed very thin rubber pads at both ends of the spoiler...you will not see them at all.

Then removed the books...spoiler came back down on trunk lid..re-installed the two nuts...done.

I did not put lock tight on the nuts because the nuts were not at all loose before I started...so they should stay tight...I will keep an eye on them thou.

You guys should check yours....if you wait to long with flaking paint..rust will come a knocking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rust under spoiler

Hi,

I have rust under the spoiler as well. It's a 2010 PCP, 6.1, 19K kms, never winter driven and had the complete Platinum, Gold, Triple Diamond, Super Duper (bought through the dealer) rust protection coat and undercoat.

I brought it in to the dealer who took pics and sent them off to see if it was covered. They are fixing up the rust under warranty this week but the not pit on the roof (see pics). After they repaint the trunk (also told from the dealer that the PCP is the hardest to match so they can't guarantee it will match!) they will put a strip of clear 3M type tape under the entire spoiler to prevent it from happening again. It's said that I won't even notice it.

The 3rd party warranty even covers bird droppings (as long as the bird doesn't have a speck of gravel in it's crap dropped from a hundred feet) but not on the roof because the roof cannot be under-coated due to the headliner. Incredible. They never mentioned that when I forked out the grand to buy it.

Will post the after pics later this week.

Cheers,
George
Dartmouth NS, CAN

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts