Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I discovered by accident that I could open my trunk with the key fob in the house....
Locking the doors locks the trunk...
Who knew...?
Seems pretty standard?

Car is locked, trunk is locked.

Car is unlocked, trunk is unlocked.

Has this not been the case with pretty much any car with power lock/unlock?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
On my 2018 Challenger I can open my trunk with the key fob and the doors will stay locked.
On my Ram 3500 dually when I lock the doors the tailgate locks and I have to unlock the truck to open the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
THis is the only car I've owned that actually had an external "button" to open the trunk, so I have no experience from other cars. But honestly, I did inititally "assume" that the keyfob would need to be close in order for the external trunk "button" to open the trunk, regardless of whether the doors were locked or not.

But when I really thought about it, I realized that if the doors are unlocked, anyone could just open the door and press the interior trunk release button anyway, so it kind of makes sense that the extenal trunk button would work if the doors are unlocked - even if the keyfob is nowhere near it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THis is the only car I've owned that actually had an external "button" to open the trunk, so I have no experience from other cars. But honestly, I did inititally "assume" that the keyfob would need to be close in order for the external trunk "button" to open the trunk, regardless of whether the doors were locked or not.

But when I really thought about it, I realized that if the doors are unlocked, anyone could just open the door and press the interior trunk release button anyway, so it kind of makes sense that the extenal trunk button would work if the doors are unlocked - even if the keyfob is nowhere near it.
I never thought of it that way... :)

·
Registered
3,708 Posts

Makes sense to me, my Sonata did it, as did my parent's Mazda MPV.

Obviously if anyone has experiences with cars without power door locks, or with ONLY power door locks, and not the trunk, then it stands to reason that the trunk would be locked unless you unlocked it from inside or with a key.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not on any other car I have ever owned...
Have you not owed a car since the 70's?

Been this way On every car I've ever owned (that had a remote locking trunk) and on the tailgates, in-bed trunks and in-bed toolboxes on pick-up trucks. Same with the rear hatch on SUV's. Last vehicle I had that didn't lock/unlock the trunk with the doors, was my 75 Catalina.

Pretty sure you've had cars that did this, and you just never noticed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you not owed a car since the 70's?

Been this way On every car I've ever owned (that had a remote locking trunk) and on the tailgates, in-bed trunks and in-bed toolboxes on pick-up trucks. Same with the rear hatch on SUV's. Last vehicle I had that didn't lock/unlock the trunk with the doors, was my 75 Catalina.

Pretty sure you've had cars that did this, and you just never noticed.
None of the C5 Corvettes I have had did this and neither does my wife's top of the line Caddy XTS...
I am thinking maybe it is a passive entry setting I have never fooled with...

·
Registered
325 Posts
FWIW, it's mentioned in the Owners manual....

If you have a regular RKE transmitter (FOB) you have to press the trunk button on the FOB (x2) or if the doors are unlocked you can use the button on the trunk lid.

If you have the Passive Entry RKE transmitter, you have the additional option of just using the button on the trunk even if the doors are locked.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts