Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Actually I've set the panic button off about 5 times in the past year at work.:alf:
Heck , that's from the 20 and 26 year old you've been running into. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've had fobs for several cars now, and of course, used various remotes, cell phones, PDAs, organizers, TV remotes, calculators, etc over the years. So I feel qualified to comment as a consumer and user, if not from a design standpoint:

The Challenger Fob is the WORST designed piece of crap fob on the planet. I will grab my key from the key tray, head towards the car, and my lights are on and door unlocked. WTF? Ah, musta barely brushed the RAISED button as I reached for the fob. I hope! Now you worry. Sometimes, when I put the key down, I hear the horn toot. Crap. What about the times it *hasn't* tooted, or I haven't paid attention and so my car was just left open?

etc etc.

Bottom line: this thing is positively horrible, and honestly without being over the top, it really does put a crimp into the whole ownership experience, since if you stop to think about it, it is both the first and the last thing you use to interact with the car, and I can't count the number of times it has :

1) Actually overtly malfunctioned (did something that I, the owner, did not want it to do!)
2) Left me with ZERO confidence, so that I feel I have to walk up to car, make sure all is well, or correct it, then put down the fob with kid gloves, as if it were nitroglycerin, even if it did not actually spontaneously activate that particular time.

A HUGE Bronx cheer to the design team on this one, boys.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I may have a solution for anyone having this issue. I work for the company that makes the FOBIKS. We have had quite a few warranty FOBIKS returned lately for this issue. The trunk opens by itself, or the doors lock/unlock themselves, even the windows roll down.
After analyzing these parts, we were able to figure out what was causing these "Hauntings".

Here's the issue,
The FOBIK has a rubber mat with the button graphics on it. If you open your FOBIK, the bottom side of the rubber mat has metal discs called "Snap Domes". The sanp domes are what give each button that snap feel when you press it. Each of these snap domes are made of stainless steel, coated in a black carbon paint to give them extra conductivity. When you press the button, the snap dome completes the circuit for that button and the FOBIK transmits.
The issue is that sometimes a small piece of the carbon coating can break away from the stainless steel and get trapped under the snap dome. Even a very, very small piece of this is enough to create this problem.
Because the carbon material is very conductive, and it is trapped beneath the snap dome, it can complete the circuit very easily and make the FOBIK transmit. Depending on which button this happens to, this can create a variety of issues.
If this phenomenon occurs beneath most buttons, the outcome is very predictable but is most annoying when it happens beneath the Unlock button. That can randomly unlock the car, but also can make your windows roll down. Not good if it's raining out.

The FIX is very simple. Just open up the FOBIK, and use a q-tip and wipe both the PCB where the snap domes make contact, and also wipe off the underside of the snap domes. Remove any loose black residue. Once gone, the problem should go away as well.

46K for a car and we have to take a Q-tip to the inside of the key FOB?!? That would appear to be the real issue. On 2 seperate occasions our Challenger has started all by itself in our garage. Both times one FOB was hanging on a hook in the kitchen and the other was 6 miles away in my wifes purse at work. Fortunately I was home both times so the car didn't sit there running for several hours :disgust:

It's the little things...ya know :mad:

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,112 Posts
On 2 seperate occasions our Challenger has started all by itself in our garage. Both times one FOB was hanging on a hook in the kitchen and the other was 6 miles away in my wifes purse at work. Fortunately I was home both times so the car didn't sit there running for several hours

The autostart will only let the car run for 15minutes then shut her down.
I can hear my nieghbor start his hemi Ram every morning at 5am
and then again,
and sometimes even a 3rd time time if he's in a really scattered state of mind.
It's got to be your Fob mine has never done any accidental tricks.
Try and get the dealer to give you new ones, if not take it apart and fix it yourself.
I know it sucks:disgust:

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
On three different occasions I have gone out to my car with the doors unlocked or the trunk popped. I usually park right by the building where I work... I got up from my cube and was going to a meeting and I look out and the headlights are on and the horn is blowing.. I must have hit the panic button in my pocket somehow....

This FOB is terrible.... once in a while I walk out to the car and hit the unlock and it doesn't unlock either on the first try....

I guess my lesson is park far away from the building and don't keep the keys in your pocket.... I have never liked key fobs personally.... I want the old standard key.... oh well... technology... Ain't it great?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,723 Posts
So you're in the middle of nowhere with your car locked and the fob battery is dead. How do you get into the car?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,723 Posts
Inside your fob is a regular key.Slide that little raised switch and pull against your ring and pops out a key to insert into your key cylinder at your door handle area.
Thanks for letting me know. I've had a fob battery die before on another car but had another one as back up. When these fobs do lose the battery, does just putting a new battery in do the trick for it to operate properly, or does it need to be reprogrammed by the dealer?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the same thing happen to my 2006 SRT8 300C every now and then the trunk pops open, have not figured it out yet.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
GET YOUR FOBS out of your pockets! If you have other stuff in your pockets the buttons on these fobs are raised and you end up pushing the buttons. You will also find your windows down and doors unlocked too. Take it out of your pocket and watch - it will stop.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
GET YOUR FOBS out of your pockets! If you have other stuff in your pockets the buttons on these fobs are raised and you end up pushing the buttons. You will also find your windows down and doors unlocked too. Take it out of your pocket and watch - it will stop.
Then get a european carry-all and put it in there. Stunning!!!

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
It is ridiculous that one cannot keep their keys in their pockets for fear that they will unlock their car. This is a terrible design wouldn't all agree? I park right outside of my building.

Heck my old Honda has a feature that if the FOB unlocks the car and no one opens the door in 5 minutes it will automatically re-lock the doors.

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
362 Posts
This just started happening o
I may have a solution for anyone having this issue. I work for the company that makes the FOBIKS. We have had quite a few warranty FOBIKS returned lately for this issue. The trunk opens by itself, or the doors lock/unlock themselves, even the windows roll down.
After analyzing these parts, we were able to figure out what was causing these "Hauntings".

Here's the issue,
The FOBIK has a rubber mat with the button graphics on it. If you open your FOBIK, the bottom side of the rubber mat has metal discs called "Snap Domes". The sanp domes are what give each button that snap feel when you press it. Each of these snap domes are made of stainless steel, coated in a black carbon paint to give them extra conductivity. When you press the button, the snap dome completes the circuit for that button and the FOBIK transmits.
The issue is that sometimes a small piece of the carbon coating can break away from the stainless steel and get trapped under the snap dome. Even a very, very small piece of this is enough to create this problem.
Because the carbon material is very conductive, and it is trapped beneath the snap dome, it can complete the circuit very easily and make the FOBIK transmit. Depending on which button this happens to, this can create a variety of issues.
If this phenomenon occurs beneath most buttons, the outcome is very predictable but is most annoying when it happens beneath the Unlock button. That can randomly unlock the car, but also can make your windows roll down. Not good if it's raining out.

The FIX is very simple. Just open up the FOBIK, and use a q-tip and wipe both the PCB where the snap domes make contact, and also wipe off the underside of the snap domes. Remove any loose black residue. Once gone, the problem should go away as well.
This just started happening on my 09 SRT and I just found this answer. I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
362 Posts
This just started happening o

This just started happening on my 09 SRT and I just found this answer. I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for posting!
FYI, this solution seems to have worked! No random trunk opening. Thanks again to Firebird 2000.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
159 Posts
Accessing my aspiring Hobby Mechanic Third Class brain housing group for a possible cause, I wonder if your battery is off-gassing fumes that force the trunk to unlatch.

I just put my car on a Tender and think I detected a new odor in my garage after a night of slow charging.

Hey, it's possible!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts