Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp, I’ve got a trunk problem on my Challenger. As in, i cannot open it except for using the emergency release from inside the trunk itself.

It’s not a FOB issue, and I don’t have an exterior button to actuate the latch, so this is going to be due to a problem with the interior button, its wiring, the latch cylinder itself, or anything in between in the way of plugs, fuses, etc.

In other words, this is a true automotive gremlin I will be hunting, and none of it will be much fun.

Also, after many fruitless searches on CT looking for any threads detailing a similar issue, it looks like I’ll be the first one to go into any detail about this particular problem (whatever it turns out to be) and any solutions I might use to ultimately fix it. So that’s why I’m creating this thread now - staking out a spot to use for future updates as this safari unfolds.

Beware: I foresee lots of cursing and ill-mannered verbiage, so move along if you fancy yourself a Quaker!!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Does the trunk light go on when opened with the pull latch? If it doesn't it may the latch itself, I know (though not related) there's an ongoing issue with the latches copper contacts in regards to the the light operation...I was told a long time ago that problems are usually associated with mechanical (moving parts) issues rather then electrical..Food for thought

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good luck to you hope you get it figured out and it's something simple.

Mopar or No Car
Appreciate the positive vibes, but I’m old and jaded now. I have no doubt this is gonna be a gigantic pain in my arse to find and resolve.

In fact, you have my word that if this is a simple break/fix, I’ll eat my Sunday hat!!

Although at this point, I think i’d Gladly do just that if I could get away with only a couple hours effort on the diag and fix...man I’m a weird duck!

I looked at alldata and my factory service manual (2015 though) and they are of little help when it comes to diagnosing.

Thanks for the diagram, that should come in handy for at least ruling things out, and doubly so if it turns out to be wiring related (dollars’ll gotcha donuts it will, too)

Does the trunk light go on when opened with the pull latch? If it doesn't it may the latch itself, I know (though not related) there's an ongoing issue with the latches copper contacts in regards to the the light operation...I was told a long time ago that problems are usually associated with mechanical (moving parts) issues rather then electrical..Food for thought
Not sure if the light comes or not, only opened it once so far, but that’s a good idea to note that when I start in for real.

If only I could talk Mrs. Nuke into doing the tunneling duties...it’s not very easy to contort 82” of Nuke thru that back seat and into the trunk to grab that emergency pull, ya know!!

First ceiling fans, and now my own car’s trunk, what next do I watch out for, Lord!?!?

·
Super Moderator
15,342 Posts
So no trunk operation with:

*key fob
*dash realease button

If its both items don't work for releasing the trunk latch, then I'd suspect the wiring or the solenoid for the latch assembly that's at fault.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no trunk operation with:

*key fob
*dash realease button

If its both items don't work for releasing the trunk latch, then I'd suspect the wiring or the solenoid for the latch assembly that's at fault.
Based upon the limited amount of troubleshooting I’ve been able to do so far, I say your suspicions are spot-on...which is certainly a big coincidence seeing as you’ve never seen or touched the car, wouldn’t you say?!?

Fess up @Hal H, I’m on to you!!

You drove down here and disabled my Challenger’s trunk lid, didn’t you?!?

It’s okay, I’m all about practical jokes, even ones that go wrong and leave their target without the use of a functional trunk...

But all that aside, it truly hurts my feeling that you didn’t even stick around long enough to grab some food or something!

You didn’t even give me a ride to the parts store so I can buy whatever part you accidentally broke while trying to rig it up for your juvenile prank!

Well I hope it was all worth it @Hal H, I hope wounding me so completely (deep down inside where I feel things like normal people) was worth your busted practice joke...

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna drown my sorrows in a grilled Nolan Ryan Top Sirloin, a couple boudains, some Velvetta Shells and Cheese, and some locally crafted beers.

Regards,
Nuke

·
Registered
184 Posts
First gen charger had issues with the wire harness pinching and breaking inside of the loom from opening and closing.
I would look into that.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Silly question, but...car is in park when you try right?

Oh and I saw this thread on the charger forum saying it could be a broken wire:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2786802&postcount=10
Yep, that was the first thing I checked when it wouldn’t open...and then checked again...and again...I’ve been bitten by that one before dagnabbit!!

First gen charger had issues with the wire harness pinching and breaking inside of the loom from opening and closing.
I would look into that.
I saw a couple threads on that, and I just pulled the inside trunk cover off to check that out, but it’s still all in good shape and sending power to the latch when I push the button on the kick panel.

In fact, the switch is sending power all the way to the latch plug, but the latch appears to have retired for good. Yessir, it’s taking The Big Dirt Nap on me...so I guess I will be replacing that part to resolve this whole issue.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Having identified what I believe to be the problem (faulty latch mech), I set out to procure myself a new one and do the replacement ASAP. However, those parts are pretty much order-only unless I want to pay full price plus generous markup at local Dealership parts dept.

I’m nothing if not a skin-flint, err, I mean frugal with my finances, so I will be going the place-online-order-and-wait-for-delivery game with this one. But what is a man to do about trunk access in the meantime??

As it turns out, there are options available for this sort of delima...inexpensive, fully functional, and yes, aesthetically challenged too, OPTIONS I’m telling you!

And I have already implemented one of them (total cost - $2.34). See attached image for a pic I snapped after its tests were completed (successfully!) and it was certified ‘ready to go!’

EDIT: pic gremlins messing with me...wonder if this works:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess this gives new meaning to the phrase "pull the string"...BTW I would have done the same thing! :grin2:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pull the string

HAHAHA!! NICE!

You know, at first, I was feeling a little uneasy as I read that last entry on the UrbanDictionary site. It seems eerily descriptive of me...and then kept reading, and it really started to sound like that person that wrote that somehow knew all about me...all about my quirks and eccentricities!! :surprise:

Who was keeping tabs on me and why?!?!

Then it dawned on me that the person that made the entry probably did know all about me and my penchant for inventions which are barely useful, and even then only to me. It was @ChallyTatum all along!!

Phew!! That's when my paranoia levels bottomed out and the dizziness abated. It took me a while to put too and too together, but I knew it would somehow add up, and I was right - it added up to @ChallyTatum making his contribution to the Zeitgeist!

Still, I used to pick up on that sort of thing more quickly in my younger days...I would blame this mental slowness on my extreme fatigue today, it always gets like this when I have to work on a drop-dead project and have to go for > 12 hours. But sadly, I'm getting very old and I don't really know what's going on sometimes.

3 days ago I left work and couldn't find my keys, and so I came back into the building and searched everywhere i'd been in the previous hour to try to find them. Then I finally found where they'd been hiding the whole time - IN MY LEFT HAND!!

:notallthere:

Yep, they're either going to work me into an early grave here, or one my new inventions is going to lead to my untimely, if humorous death pretty soon...but either way, I feel the end is fast approaching! Thanks @ChallyTatum for making what little time I have left on this earth enjoyable enough to want to stick around a little longer!

Now, if I could just find my danged car keys, I'd pack my crap up and go home so I could be well rested tomorrow morning when they call me out on the carpet for unfinished deliverables....(maybe next time they'll listen to me when I say it will take 4 days to deliver it instead of saying 'you've got 2, get it done!')

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It would have been awesome if I actually entered it in the urban dictionary.
Well I cannot load anything from that site anyway, not even the home page. (The network folks that administer our corporate networks are a little touchy about sites with shady content I guess.) So as far as I know, you did.

And once I've found my blasted keys and start the drive home, I'll have forgotten that you even told me you didn't. So it's basically fact now. It's best just to accept that you did it and move on!

(let me know if that works on you. the local cops try it on me every time we have a sit-down, and it has yet to work on me...although now I wonder if I really did win that boat they need me to come pick up at the police station...hmmm)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,508 Posts
Main thing is you got a kick out of it...sometimes you need a chuckle...especially when you are fighting against Dodge gremlins. :wink3:

·
Registered
2011 Challenger SRT8
1 Posts
This happened to my 2011 Challenger SRT within days that I took delivery. Had to take it to two dealers when the first could not fix it. The second dealer did find the problem and fixed it. According to the repair description, there was a ground at the trunk latch- not sure what that meant. The ground or possible short might be at the harness towards the latch end. Anyway the second dealer fixed it and it hasn't reoccurred since. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
15,342 Posts
The '08-'10 have one style of setup (opened by interior button or fob)

The '11+ have the keyless button and have a different wiring setup

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The '08-'10 have one style of setup (opened by interior button or fob)

The '11+ have the keyless button and have a different wiring setup
But they all have the glow in the dark safety hootus for when you get kidnapped and driven around in the trunk of your own car...and it is that safety handle which allows my current invention to continue to work so flawlessly.

Hell I may not even buy a replacement latch at this rate, my 36” zip ties are working just fine!! :roller:

·
Super Moderator
15,342 Posts
But they all have the glow in the dark safety hootus for when you get kidnapped and driven around in the trunk of your own car...and it is that safety handle which allows my current invention to continue to work so flawlessly.

Hell I may not even buy a replacement latch at this rate, my 36” zip ties are working just fine!! :roller:
I can just see 80" of Nuke trying to be stuffed into the trunk "what do we do with all these arms and legs"?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts