Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I am new to this forum.

Had been a Wrangler owner since I bought my first car, I bought a Challenger S/P 2015 about a month ago, clean title clean carfax.

I did notice some rust on the trunk latch when I bought it but I thought it was only superficial and did not inspect, i thought to my self is a 2015 car from a dry state right....?

Long story short, I was in the trunk and I decided to move the liner and to my surprise there is a lot of rust in the area, I attaching pictures. Is there anything I can do under extended rust warranty? There is some bubble spots as well in the paint on the trunk area, oh and the release trunk thing snapped apart with a small pull.

Thank you, I appreciate the input.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yikes. Mine is a 2013 and my trunk does not look like that. I wonder if it sat outside alot before you bought it..I mean obviously the weatherstripping going around it should keep out rain but that is odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes. Mine is a 2013 and my trunk does not look like that. I wonder if it sat outside alot before you bought it..I mean obviously the weatherstripping going around it should keep out rain but that is odd.
Thank you for the reply,
Even if it sat outside for a extended period of time we do not see that much rain in Arizona

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,334 Posts
Look in the battery tray and see if there is water/signs of water there. It takes quite a bit of moisture to get that level of rust anywhere, much less dry Az!

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,435 Posts
I would first check to see if the weatherstripping is defective.

Here is the way dealers do it. Have someone get into your trunk with a flashlight and close the lid. Then, with a hose with no nozzle, start working water around the weatherstripping, starting at the base of the backlight window. If water is getting in, you will be able to pinpoint the problem area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I mentioned before, car reports show clear title, car was from Texas and it was first registered in Arizona around Huracane Harvey time, any advice?
Like people mentioned here now I am starting to think that I got a flooded damaged vehicle.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Like I mentioned before, car reports show clear title, car was from Texas and it was first registered in Arizona around Huracane Harvey time, any advice?
Like people mentioned here now I am starting to think that I got a flooded damaged vehicle.
View attachment 977103
View attachment 977102

View attachment 977100
View attachment 977101

Check under the seats too. If it was flooded enough to get into the trunk, all the metal under the seats will be rusted also.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,334 Posts
Pull the seat belt all the way out, see if there is signs of water damage

A Guy

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
You did not say how long ago you bought it, if your state has a "cooling off period" I would unload it back on the dealer if you are still within that period, if not I would trade it in at the dealer your bought it off of and take advantage of the $10.00 per H.P. rebate on a brand new one. They should give you pretty much what you paid for it, especially if you show them the flood damage and tell them they did not disclose that to you at the time of purchase. But, let them make you an offer on it first as a trade, maybe they will mess up and disclose to then that, "The car looks like it has been under water", then hit them with, "Well it hasn't been since the time you sold it to me."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check under the seats too. If it was flooded enough to get into the trunk, all the metal under the seats will be rusted also.
I did this last night, although I did not got a really good look, it seems failry clean,I only moved a small portion of the carpet I will wait for the weekend to get a better look. Attached is the drivers side seat belt bolt, there is some rust on the seat mechanism.

Pull the seat belt all the way out, see if there is signs of water damage

A Guy
No signs of damage when pulling the seat belt all the way or at least I could not tell.

You did not say how long ago you bought it, if your state has a "cooling off period" I would unload it back on the dealer if you are still within that period, if not I would trade it in at the dealer your bought it off of and take advantage of the $10.00 per H.P. rebate on a brand new one. They should give you pretty much what you paid for it, especially if you show them the flood damage and tell them they did not disclose that to you at the time of purchase. But, let them make you an offer on it first as a trade, maybe they will mess up and disclose to then that, "The car looks like it has been under water", then hit them with, "Well it hasn't been since the time you sold it to me."
Bought it 2 months ago and I get to drive it mainly on the weekends, I bought it off from a private party and I never thought I would find this issue.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I did this last night, although I did not got a really good look, it seems failry clean,I only moved a small portion of the carpet I will wait for the weekend to get a better look. Attached is the drivers side seat belt bolt, there is some rust on the seat mechanism.
View attachment 977178

View attachment 977179

No signs of damage when pulling the seat belt all the way or at least I could not tell.

Bought it 2 months ago and I get to drive it mainly on the weekends, I bought it off from a private party and I never thought I would find this issue.
Sad, not much recourse against a private seller. I hope you got it cheap, maybe cheap enough to trade it in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You got a flood car. Sorry but this happens a lot. The constant title changes are a red flag to someone flushing the salvage title to a clean one. My guess is a flash flood. some time in early 2017 would be my guess. check under the hood for a dirt line aka flood line, check the carpet under layment for mold (dead give away). My guess is soon you will start having electrical issues, first to go is usually the airbags.

Check here; crime flood car scam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts