Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2011 SRT 392 GWE Challenger and all I can hear from the trunk speaker are low thumping sounds. I'm not sure what it's supposed to sound like but this just doesn't seem right. It's so bad that when I am someplace with other people around, I have to make sure I keep my trunk closed. I don't feel it is the "heartbeat" (aka "Trunk Monkey") problem that I read others have had.

My next step is going to the dealer and see if they have a fix. I think I have gone through as many audio controls as there are available. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? Thanks! :) Genie

·
Registered
144 Posts
Its gotta be the trunk monkey!If your car thumping is that bad, than your the lucky one to have 2 trunk monkeys,and of the rebellious kind, delivered with your car!!:)
Mine is pretty tame, not too loud, so it just came with the one.It behaves!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If you can play DVD's or have the DVD symbol on your radio unit (not standard base stereo) - then you probably have in Surround Mode for movies activated by default. Some owners have gone through the EVIC menus and disabled the Surround Effect and their audio came back just fine for normal music.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does it sound defective or just low?...sub-woofers only produce the bottom end of the spectrum of sound so depending on your settings and the song it might just be fine...

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can play DVD's or have the DVD symbol on your radio unit (not standard base stereo) - then you probably have in Surround Mode for movies activated by default. Some owners have gone through the EVIC menus and disabled the Surround Effect and their audio came back just fine for normal music.
I'll have to check this out. I may be able to play DVD's and I know it's in the Surround Effect and I think it's enabled. I only have the car about 2 1/2 weeks so I'm not sure about too much! Will work on it again tomorrow-thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it sound defective or just low?...sub-woofers only produce the bottom end of the spectrum of sound so depending on your settings and the song it might just be fine...
It could be that it is just low but I went out to the car just now (12:18 A.M.) and after I unlocked the door, I heard a definate thumping sound coming from the rear, so maybe it is the "heartbeat" problem after all. I can tell you, it was scary to hear that so late at night!

·
Registered
291 Posts
It could be that it is just low but I went out to the car just now (12:18 A.M.) and after I unlocked the door, I heard a definate thumping sound coming from the rear, so maybe it is the "heartbeat" problem after all. I can tell you, it was scary to hear that so late at night!
Yeah my 2010 has done that from the beginning...I've just gotten used to it...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yeah my 2010 has done that from the beginning...I've just gotten used to it...
My '06 Charger SRT8 (with the Sound Group II) did this back then. So when I got my '09 Challenger SRT8, I made sure that it didn't come with the Sound Group II (non-SGIIs are "monkey free").

As for my '11 SRT8 392, it's got the SGII and "trunk monkeys". (Hey, the deal was too good.) I just can't believe that in the 6-7 model years that Chrysler has offered this system, this problem still persist. But then again, I bought another car thusly equipped ---- AGAIN: DOH!!!

All I can say is that hopefully next year's HK system won't have this issue, too...

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I can't comment on the heartbeat sound, I have never heard it but I can attest that if you run the system in Surround mode on music it sounds horrible. Works fine on DVDs but makes the system sound like like crap on music.

·
Mumber
389 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2011 SRT 392 GWE Challenger and all I can hear from the trunk speaker are low thumping sounds. I'm not sure what it's supposed to sound like but this just doesn't seem right. It's so bad that when I am someplace with other people around, I have to make sure I keep my trunk closed. I don't feel it is the "heartbeat" (aka "Trunk Monkey") problem that I read others have had.

My next step is going to the dealer and see if they have a fix. I think I have gone through as many audio controls as there are available. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? Thanks! :) Genie
I have a small child living in my speakers!

I went thru he'll trying to figure out what is up with the crazy sound coming from my rear speakers.
Try and set your radio fade to the rear all the way. Set it for serious radio. Use the steering wheel controls to switch from stereo to surround.

If you end up with a squeaky haunted sound coming from the rears only it is considered "normal" from Mopar and the suggestion is to turn off the Surround mode.

I have it in writing from my dealer. They tried everything from speakers to amps to antennae to radio to updates to new signal from Serious.

Chrysler doesn't make the radio. Kicker and Mopar are who they will go to and apparently they are only allowed to communicate to one another via e-mail. No phones allowed.

Moronic if you ask me but I bought mine for the looks and performance so I can deal with their cop out!

Good luck

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I have the same issue with my SRT-8 GWE. Took it to my dealer and they couldn't find it either. I am confident it is coming from the subwoofer though. Only time I hear it is when the car is off. As soon as I start it, it goes away. Thought there may have been some TSB. Nothing yet....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got the same. One thing I have noticed is that it only happens when the car is off and I happen to have the keyfob in my pocket. When I don't have the keyfob, no thump. I think it has more to do with the keyless enter-n-go sensing the fob than it does the radio, speakers, or anything else audio in the car. Luckily mine hasn't been bad and is a very low bump. I've gotten into a habit of leaving the key inside unless I'm actually getting in to drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts