Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what type of oil/grease/silicone I should use to get them to open fully easier.
I've cut my head one too many times leaning in when I expected it to be fully open. :headbang:

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
temperature will affect how much the gas expands in the assist struts.

In colder weather, it helps to push it up - in warmer weather, its the opposite, a little lift and it goes on its own.

I wouldn't put anything on the struts - it could affect the seals and shorten their life.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Assuming the deck lid hinges are not binding and lubed you cannot change the operation of the struts themselves except by replacing with a different lifting force strut. My HC decklid it is necessary to push the decklid fully open but it stays there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
temperature will affect how much the gas expands in the assist struts.

In colder weather, it helps to push it up - in warmer weather, its the opposite, a little lift and it goes on its own.

I wouldn't put anything on the struts - it could affect the seals and shorten their life.

Didn't think of the cold. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with not applying any lubricant to the strut. More likely to do harm than good. Sounds like the struts may be reaching the end of their useful life. You have a couple of options here. Replace them with an OEM set. Or, go to a strut manufacturer and get a pair with a slightly higher pressure (lifting force) which will overcome any temperature fluctuations. Google "gas struts". Lots of options including some with nice stainless steel cylinder bodies!

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
My trunk is heavy or the struts are weak. When I push the button it unlatches but I have to push it up.
Maybe my struts are crap?
Both my '09 and '15 Challengers are that way from day 1. The deck lid pops up a bit but does not fly open.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Same for my ‘16 SRT. I prefer it that way too. I push up the lid, and the struts hold it open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
My trunk is heavy or the struts are weak. When I push the button it unlatches but I have to push it up.
They're not - the struts don't make the trunk (nor hood) open up to the full up position. You have to lift the decklid up to the full position, once you open it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
298 Posts
They're not - the struts don't make the trunk (nor hood) open up to the full up position. You have to lift the decklid up to the full position, once you open it.

My 2008 does the same thing but they have either hit the end of their life or were originally sized without the spoiler weight (or maybe the Charger lid since it was the first year)

I like that it doesn't pop open and initially lift by itself but I have to push it up until I feel I'm going to start bending something and even then sometimes it falls down on its own.

Tired of bonking my head..

Anyone have the correct part # handy and possibly the billet ones someone mentioned previously?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,787 Posts
Strutwise makes stainless struts. I believe you have to email them. Challengers were designed to only open a couple of inches, you then open to full. They should hold once opened though.

https://strutwise.com/

A Guy

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Strutwise makes stainless struts. I believe you have to email them. Challengers were designed to only open a couple of inches, you then open to full. They should hold once opened though.

https://strutwise.com/

A Guy
Mine does not even open a couple of inches. It's it's exactly right like it is closed but you can push it up to open.

Thank you for the link ! I did a search for them on here and found another post that mentioned them as well. I have sent an email to enquire about these and potentially my hood struts as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine does not even open a couple of inches. It's it's exactly right like it is closed but you can push it up to open.

Thank you for the link ! I did a search for them on here and found another post that mentioned them as well. I have sent an email to enquire about these and potentially my hood struts as well.

Both my 17 and 19 only open about 1/2 inch which is fine but the 17 would tend to stop about 3/4 of the way when lifting it up.

The 19 opens fully easily.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
them ones from strutwise have twice as much beans at factory.. friend has one.. very nice.. pricey but nice

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
them ones from strutwise have twice as much beans at factory.. friend has one.. very nice.. pricey but nice
Can't wait! Cheap compared to getting whacked in the head...

Mine also opens about 3/4 easily and then must force it the rest of the way. Even then, it still comes down ontop of me sometimes.

Very cool car, but you don't feel cool gettin' clobbered by that lid!

I might find a way to add a mercury switch activated light as well. Mine has no light but I'm assuming that's typical.?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Mine also opens about 3/4 easily and then must force it the rest of the way. Even then, it still comes down ontop of me sometimes.

I might find a way to add a mercury switch activated light as well. Mine has no light but I'm assuming that's typical.?

I've got a trunk light, glovebox light too.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
in

Either the bulb has burned out - its in center area under the rear parcel shelf - or your switch is bad.

The trunk light switch is integral with the trunk latch, so you have to replace the assembly if the light switch is bad

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Either the bulb has burned out - its in center area under the rear parcel shelf - or your switch is bad.

The trunk light switch is integral with the trunk latch, so you have to replace the assembly if the light switch is bad
Thanks for the tips. I will check it out when I am back in state. For some reason I thought it might be on the decklid underneath.

Does your hood/engine bay have a light as well?

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I will check it out when I am back in state. For some reason I thought it might be on the decklid underneath.

Does your hood/engine bay have a light as well?
Challengers for '08 - '14 only had trunk lights

From '15+ there's trunk light plus glove compartment light

1 - 20 of 21 Posts