Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a seemingly great one in the UK. Paid deposit, and then did a VIN check (yes I know, wrong order!)

VIN came back with:

Junk and Salvage (2 records)
Disposition SOLD (Junk and Salvage)
Dispoisition TO BE DETERMINED (Junk and Salvage)

Insurance Info
Intended for Export (Yes) Damage Type (insurers)

Title Info
Salvage: Brand Reported! Florida. Disposition: Salvage

Questions are:

- Should I walk away? Car is cheap - but not hugely cheap. Thought it was about 10-15% off what it should be.
- Advert and individual selling did not disclose this at any point - any legal recourse if they refuse to refund deposit?

Thanks for any help - appreciate it!

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
140 Posts
Found a seemingly great one in the UK. Paid deposit, and then did a VIN check (yes I know, wrong order!)

VIN came back with:

Junk and Salvage (2 records)
Disposition SOLD (Junk and Salvage)
Dispoisition TO BE DETERMINED (Junk and Salvage)

Insurance Info
Intended for Export (Yes) Damage Type (insurers)

Title Info
Salvage: Brand Reported! Florida. Disposition: Salvage

Questions are:

- Should I walk away? Car is cheap - but not hugely cheap. Thought it was about 10-15% off what it should be.
- Advert and individual selling did not disclose this at any point - any legal recourse if they refuse to refund deposit?

Thanks for any help - appreciate it!
Absolutely not! You'll regret this purchase. Walk away and hold the dealership accountable for not disclosing this information up front. Maybe they'll give you a deal on another vehicle. You'll spend close to 20% more in repairs and eventually replace the vehicle. Don't settle when it comes to your Challenger.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Godamn it :(

I hope I'm not SOL with the deposit, was paid via BACS. Anyone know if that's an illegal advertisement in UK?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would threaten to sue. Did you all the question of accidents before leaving a deposit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In fairness, no I didn't enquire about potential damage. I had a friend with me who was a mechanic who gave it a quick inspection and said it all looks good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well I'm surprised this mechanic buddy of yours didn't enquire on that. But what's gone is gone. Simply speak to the person and you could seek legal help if he denies an agreement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seller is returning deposit, phew. Thanks for advice - steering clear if this one. Hope to be able to find one soon... it's difficult here in the UK!

·
Registered
140 Posts
What a relief. But will taught lesson here. Always ask about history and check vin first

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Just a thought; even if the damage was minimal and repairs were perfect, the car's record is permanent and if you ever go to sell it... you get burned.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Abort!

I'm from florida, the Latins do some shady stuff here.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
But unfortunately, they're not alone. When it comes to the subject of money, just about everybody is shady. It's just a matter of how much shade...

·
Registered
80 Posts
But unfortunately, they're not alone. When it comes to the subject of money, just about everybody is shady. It's just a matter of how much shade...
True, Unfortunetly. All of south Florida is notoriously bad when it comes to fraud. Iys also a very high population of latins and blacks. Lol I mean. People eat eachothers faces here.. Can't wait to move back home (AZ)

·
Premium Member
9,365 Posts
True, Unfortunetly. All of south Florida is notoriously bad when it comes to fraud. Iys also a very high population of latins and blacks. Lol I mean. People eat eachothers faces here.. Can't wait to move back home (AZ)

I was in Florida when that happened, did it go to trial yet?
South Florida is sure interesting to put it kindly.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
Did the owner say anything about the salvage history when you got your deposit back? Seem surprised? A Guy

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Salvage? In Florida no less? Damn thing probably jumped Dukes of Hazard style into the swamp lands with a alligator living in the back seat for a week.
It's not like they wake up and drink tea and have a biscuit down there.
Run like the wind my friend.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Titles can be salvaged for a variety of reasons, if the car looked good then what was the issue? Did the seller ever say?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Maybe it was salvaged because it came FROM Florida. I think it's something in the air. If it's not the sweltering heat, it's the doggone humidity. If it's not the dang love bugs chewing the paint off the bumper, it's the mosquitos that attack yer but when ya get outa da car. And then there's the Florida boys in blue waiting at every corner, the total lack of fun roads to drive on, and the hurricanes sweeping through here... sometimes as many as 3 or 4 per year. And did I mention little old ladies with blue hair and a gazillion tourists? Did you say Salvage? That car's lucky to even EXIST any more. But it's got one thing going for it. At least it's not IN Florida any more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts