Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that the '15 and newer Challengers have come way down in price to my relatively affordable price range, I'm trying to decide between these two models. I'm aware that the SRT comes with some nicer luxury goodies and has slightly better brakes. I've driven a '15 Scat before and really enjoyed it, but just how different is the road feel, braking, and handling performance in the SRT? I do plan on doing some mods to stiffen up the body and improve the handling no matter which model I get. Is the higher price on the SRT worth the bigger tires and brakes and the magnetic ride suspension? I've heard that street mode on an SRT feels great for daily driving, which I'm attracted to, but how do the sport and track modes compare to the Scat Pack when it comes to aggressive cornering?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Honestly, I never really use any suspension mode other than street on my 2015 SRT. I'd say go and drive them both, and make your decision. I thought I needed the SRT because I hated the squishy suspension on my 2012. It was even a STP car, with the better struts and lower springs, but it felt like I was cornering in a tank. If the stock Scat Pack rides like the street mode on the SRT, the only real advantage would be the hood, I think. That is easy enough to acquire, and the other modes can be enabled with tools, so I don't see a huge advantage for the SRT.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
The Sport setting on SRT suspension settings is approximately what the fixed (conventional) shocks are like on the Scat Pack, based on the accounts of others that have compared the two models.

The Scat Pack can be fitted with 275/40 tires like the SRTs have, so this will bring the handling/ grip to that level. So for absolute handling, they'll be similar once you have the same size of tire on both.

An SRT 9.5" wheel can accommodate up to a 295mm width tire since its .5" wider than the SP wheels.

The differences in the brakes - that's going to be a difference at the track with the SRT. For street driving, hard to say if it would be used to realize what the 6 piston brakes can do.

There's a number of items that would be optional on a Scat Pack, so that's the factor to consider that a loaded model would be closer to an SRT complement.

For the '15 SRTs, the Harmon Kardon, Laguna Leather, and Nav were optional in that year. The following years these became standard equipment.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that on the SRT models u couldn't disable the MDS with sport mode if it even has it. The Scat packs you can. A fully loaded Scat is your best bang for your dollar. I have zero complaints about mine.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
The Sport setting on SRT suspension settings is approximately what the fixed (conventional) shocks are like on the Scat Pack, based on the accounts of others that have compared the two models.

The Scat Pack can be fitted with 275/40 tires like the SRTs have, so this will bring the handling/ grip to that level. So for absolute handling, they'll be similar once you have the same size of tire on both.

An SRT 9.5" wheel can accommodate up to a 295mm width tire since its .5" wider than the SP wheels.

The differences in the brakes - that's going to be a difference at the track with the SRT. For street driving, hard to say if it would be used to realize what the 6 piston brakes can do.

There's a number of items that would be optional on a Scat Pack, so that's the factor to consider that a loaded model would be closer to an SRT complement.

For the '15 SRTs, the Harmon Kardon, Laguna Leather, and Nav were optional in that year. The following years these became standard equipment.
Agree! Default street mode on SRT is almost like Cadillac mode, way smoother than Scat Pack but still firm enough to drive everyday like this. Clicking to Sport mode the car comes alive.
I thought I read somewhere that on the SRT models u couldn't disable the MDS with sport mode if it even has it. The Scat packs you can. A fully loaded Scat is your best bang for your dollar. I have zero complaints about mine.
That was a bug for 2015 only, no issues 2016-up.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
IF you can not live with the suspension for daily driving on the Scat get the SRT. Like was said, a fully loaded Scat is the best deal in town. NOTHING soft about that suspension.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Scatpack suspension is rugged like a Challenger or Charger supposed to be. It's manly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
That was a bug for 2015 only, no issues 2016-up.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Do you know if any updates to the software have fixed this bug in the 2015s? Is it just Sport Mode, or Track mode, too?

I like my Cadillac feel. I guess I'm not a man. The streets have been torn up and patched around here so many times, it's like riding on dirt roads most of the time. I usually skip Sport mode for everything. If I want a change, I usually go straight to track mode.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I just updated on my 15 srt and have had no problems with sport mode or anything else

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Do you know if any updates to the software have fixed this bug in the 2015s? Is it just Sport Mode, or Track mode, too?

I like my Cadillac feel. I guess I'm not a man. The streets have been torn up and patched around here so many times, it's like riding on dirt roads most of the time. I usually skip Sport mode for everything. If I want a change, I usually go straight to track mode.

Nope, updates don't change the MDS program that the '15 SRT has, and dealers cannot upgrade a '15 to a 16

·
Registered
211 Posts
Will using a Tazer fix the MDS bug? I've had both a 2016 scat pack and a 2016 SRT. The street suspension setting is definitely a smoother ride. A real plus if the roads aren't smooth in your area, or you take long trips. ECO mode is also a huge plus, throttle not quite so sensitive, easier to drive in traffic. Valet mode is awesome -- locks the car down to 200? 300? HP. Track mode gives you super stiff suspension, amazingly fast transmission shifts (A8) and active exhaust open all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts