Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chevy V6 has more HP and TQ than our 3.6L. I think they both started out with the same specs in 2011? Is it because Chevy went to direct injection?

Pisses me off that Chevy and Ford upgrade parts are so much cheaper than Mopar.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,649 Posts
Apples and Oranges. The Chevy LGX was new in 2016, completely different than the 3.6L LFX it replaced, The Pentastar has a slightly bigger bore (96mm vs 95mm), but the LGX has a longer stroke (Pentastar 83mm vs LGX 85.8). The upgraded Pentastar (not yet installed in Challengers, ours have 10.2:1 ) has a CR of 11.3:1, the Chevy 11.5:1, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,388 Posts
While it isn't directly related, it can't hurt the fact that Dodge did just get the first ever (tie) #1 spot in initial quality for an American brand. And with the 3.6 having 81% of the power of the 5.7, if it gets much better, the 5.7 would either need improved more or more likely, retired.

·
Super Moderator
15,981 Posts
Direct Injection is the major factor - the DI system's fuel charge has the effect of cooling down combustion chamber and this allows higher static CR.

These contribution to higher power output compared to a port injection setup - spark knock and high NOx emissions are some of the variables with tuning with high CR and lean mixtures - DI helps reduce both those tendencies to happen.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,345 Posts
The Chevy V6 has more HP and TQ than our 3.6L. I think they both started out with the same specs in 2011? Is it because Chevy went to direct injection?

Pisses me off that Chevy and Ford upgrade parts are so much cheaper than Mopar.
Hypothetical question: let’s say the Mopar V6 has been keeping up and could deliver the same or slightly better HP/TQ numbers than its Ford and Chevy counterparts. It would still be saddled with almost 4K lbs of car (+driver+gas, etc) to carry around. As such, Mopar vehicles powered by the 3.6L would still bring up the rear in any race against the other two.

Would the engine’s comparable peak performance numbers still be good enough to view Mopar favorably in that instance?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I actually have a Chevy with the previous-gen 3.6L (LFX) and a Challenger with it's Penastar 3.6L. The Chevy (a 2012 Impala) does seem faster (being a lot lighter helps!), but I'd still rather drive the Challenger ANY DAY! :)

Direct Injection is nice for gaining a little power and efficiency, but it has it's own set of issues that we don't have to worry about with the port injection in the Challenger (carbon build-up). Pros and cons....

I will say - I really do like the Chevy 3.6L engine - it's a great engine. I'm actually kind of surprised the Pentastar 3.6L hasn't moved to direct-injection yet. Although, I'm fine with either one (again, pros and cons of each).

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I looked at 1/4 mile times 0 to 60 on both, they are near identical.2012 Impala ,newer v6 Challenger.My daughters 300 seems to be pretty quick with the 8spd.I have not been in an Impala.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts