Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know it is a long shot, however I am trying to locate my Father's Dodge Challenger. I believe it was a lower trim model 1973 Challenger in blue with a white vinyl top. I have never seen it in person as my father sold it to buy a station wagon when he started our family. It has always been a dream of mine since I was a teenager to find this car and restore it. My father immigrated to this country in 1970. It was the first car he purchased new as he saw it in "Vanishing Point" back in the day. He purchased it in the Chicagoland area when he was doing an internship. He moved about the country and settled near Lincoln Nebraska for a short time where he worked as a primary care doctor in Friend, NE. He sold this car while in Nebraska a few years before I was born (1980). It would mean a lot to find this car and keep it in our family. I turned 40 this year and really never had any leads to act as a starting point, however I visited my Father for his 74th birthday this weekend and came across this picture.

It really isn't much, however it is a picture of the car and its Pennsylvania license plate. My father lived there in the mid-late 1970's while extending his training. I will be honest, my knowledge is not extensive in 1970's Mopar. In my youth I became fairly knowledgable in the Dodge/Mitsubishi Stealth/3000GT platform and as a father moved on to Dodge Durangos (a family of 5 needs three rows!). I know cars, just not a lot about 1970's muscle. Any information you all might be able to provide to help me track this car or figure out its VIN would be much appreciated. Any tutelage on Mopar along the way would be awesome. From my previous experiences on other forums, there is no better way to learn about a platform than from its community. Thanks in advanced for any info. Look forward to hearing what people say.

J

Vehicle Car Model car Family car

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,094 Posts
It may be very difficult up to impossible to locate that particular car. I applaud your efforts however. What may be more achievable is to locate a ‘73 that is as close to your dad’s car and restore it. Have it painted to match the original. May not be the same metal, but the nostalgia factor is almost as good. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger shaker 392 scat pack.
49 Posts
Ya it would be cool to find all my dads old mopars. He collected them and built many. One rare one he had was a white 70’ Plymouth super bird with a factory 426 hemi. I believe they only made somewhere only 130ish as a production car with a 426 so it could enter nascar. He got to drive it on some nascar track in the 70s as I think an owners appreciation day or something they put on. There was a picture of it in an old car magazine and he was dead center of the picture. He sold it probably 20 years ago when they needed money bad and the Japanese guy who bought it shipped it to japan. Always wondering where it’s at. Being a rare car and being shipped to japan, I cannot imagine there being very many. I had fond memories in it as a kid.

good luck. Is there a way to get the vin number from any old paper work stashed away? These cars are more then often documented.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Trying to find this car will be difficult. It most likely was scrapped out years ago. However, you do have a PA tag # as a start. If you could find a VIN or an old registration showing a VIN, that would be helpful. Also, there are find your old car detectives out there that specialize in locating a particular vehicle. Try contacting the PA DMV & see if that license plate is still active or they can tell you when the renewal fees were discontinued. You may have to find a similar replacement like fyrdude suggested. I wouldn't, personally, respray a replacement car in anything other then a factory color or change it's original features, but you will have to decide that.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,036 Posts
Nice car!! Did it also have a white interior? Does he remember any options? Here is one below that was fully restored and for sale right now.

1973 DODGE CHALLENGER RALLYE

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know it is a long shot, however I am trying to locate my Father's Dodge Challenger.
This may be a long shot, but you might contact Welby's Car Care in Springfield, OR (aka Graveyard Cars). They may have some recommendations for you on your search.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi all,

I know it is a long shot, however I am trying to locate my Father's Dodge Challenger. I believe it was a lower trim model 1973 Challenger in blue with a white vinyl top. I have never seen it in person as my father sold it to buy a station wagon when he started our family. It has always been a dream of mine since I was a teenager to find this car and restore it. My father immigrated to this country in 1970. It was the first car he purchased new as he saw it in "Vanishing Point" back in the day. He purchased it in the Chicagoland area when he was doing an internship. He moved about the country and settled near Lincoln Nebraska for a short time where he worked as a primary care doctor in Friend, NE. He sold this car while in Nebraska a few years before I was born (1980). It would mean a lot to find this car and keep it in our family. I turned 40 this year and really never had any leads to act as a starting point, however I visited my Father for his 74th birthday this weekend and came across this picture.

It really isn't much, however it is a picture of the car and its Pennsylvania license plate. My father lived there in the mid-late 1970's while extending his training. I will be honest, my knowledge is not extensive in 1970's Mopar. In my youth I became fairly knowledgable in the Dodge/Mitsubishi Stealth/3000GT platform and as a father moved on to Dodge Durangos (a family of 5 needs three rows!). I know cars, just not a lot about 1970's muscle. Any information you all might be able to provide to help me track this car or figure out its VIN would be much appreciated. Any tutelage on Mopar along the way would be awesome. From my previous experiences on other forums, there is no better way to learn about a platform than from its community. Thanks in advanced for any info. Look forward to hearing what people say.

J

View attachment 1001623
The Challenger may have survived all these years.........but it's a pretty safe bet that Big Brown turd of a car next to it was crushed many decades ago. God luck in your hunt for Dad's car. Finding it is only the first step though.

I know this all too well.

My own father's '66 GTO convertable fell into the hands of his 4th wife at his death a few years back. I tried to buy it, offering up more than she could get anywhere else for it at the time. How-ever the spiteful wench wouldn't sell it to me and instead traded it to a Ford dealer in Atlanta, GA for a new car. The dealer was helpful and put me in touch with the guy who bought it the same day it was taken in trade. I've stayed in contact with the guy but hold out little hope of ever getting the car.

I'm sure there is an offer that would pry it from his grip.......but to date his desire to keep it is stronger than mine is to acquire it. I'm willing to pay up and above the market but I won't get really stupid. So far no real luck. The best I've been able to do is tell him to make sure that if the day comes it'd be in his own best interest to call before selling to see if I'd be willing to go above that best offer he gets.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that if you can find your father's car and it's still around and in good shape......it might well be a similar situation.

Again good luck with your search. There is always that possibility that it's currently mothballed and/or in the hands of someone who is ready and willing to sell.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
The DMV helped me find an old car I owned but heck that was 20 years ago, probably not happening now but since it was your Dad's car, give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ya it would be cool to find all my dads old mopars. He collected them and built many. One rare one he had was a white 70’ Plymouth super bird with a factory 426 hemi. I believe they only made somewhere only 130ish as a production car with a 426 so it could enter nascar. He got to drive it on some nascar track in the 70s as I think an owners appreciation day or something they put on. There was a picture of it in an old car magazine and he was dead center of the picture. He sold it probably 20 years ago when they needed money bad and the Japanese guy who bought it shipped it to japan. Always wondering where it’s at. Being a rare car and being shipped to japan, I cannot imagine there being very many. I had fond memories in it as a kid.

good luck. Is there a way to get the vin number from any old paper work stashed away? These cars are more then often documented.
There is a "Winged Warriors enthusiast's group". These are the guys/gals who have all the info on 69 Dodge Charger Daytonas and 70 Plymouth Superbirds and usually know the past history of most of the winged cars made. Do a google search and contact them.

Hi all,

J

View attachment 1001623
Send an email to the editor of Mopar Collector's Guide magazine (Robert Wolf), explain what you are doing, and ask for the magazines help. I have seen several requests for information , just like yours, published in the magazine. What better place to ask for help than a large group of folks, all over the world, who are very interested in Mopar collector cars? Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
And not saying the DMV will find it, but they will likely have an old registration that shows the VIN and from there you can start googling the VIN hitting the old car boards and see if it shows up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
453 Posts
As much as I hate facebook, it may be your best bet. There's a lot of specific groups on there with people that have a lot of knowledge and connections. Find some groups that would be specific to the car you're looking for, not just model or year, but even color.

I had a good friend that was looking for his dads old roadrunner in moulin rouge. He only had a couple pictures and the stories his dad told him about it. His dad passed and he kept searching, he joined a bunch of groups including ones focused on FM3 (pink) cars on Facebook. After MANY years, he got a random message from someone who said they think they might know someone with an old pink roadrunner in a barn. He got the guys contact info, and it turned out to be the car. It's actually a pretty cool story. Good luck with your search! Hope you find it

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
I think before any chance of a successful search, you'll need more info about the car, the VIN# at the very least

A Guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts