Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first thing I'll be changing on my car when I get it is the exhaust system. I'm looking for an R/T Plus. The active exhaust on the '17 and up models sounds pretty good, but I think it could be a little louder, so if i do go for that one should I get a resonator or muffler delete? If I get a 2015-2016 model, is it possible to replace the stock exhaust with an active exhaust system from the '17? I also see that Flowmaster offers their American Thunder setup with active exhaust, but it says they're only for the 392, Hellcat, and 6.2 models. I really like the sound of American Thunder, but I also like the Borla S-Type, the Corsa Extreme, Flowmaster Super 40's, and the SLP Loudmouth. I'm looking for something that sounds great when you get on the pedal but fades to a little background noise when just cruising. I also live in a student apartment complex, so it can't be too insanely loud. I'm basically trying to get as close to the Hellcat sound as I can (without the whine), just a little louder. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Well the 2017 sound better because the 5.7 exhaust is 2.75" and the resos and mufflers appear to be similar to the scat pack. The earlier years used 2.5 (manual) and 2.25 (auto).

Before looking for exhaust systems you need to ask yourself how much drone you can tolerate and how much are you willing to spend?

The simplest mod is to have the active exhaust always open. But if that is not good enough you can go with the mid muffler delete which gives pretty good results.

As for aftermarket, there are a lot of posts on the forum and examples on youtube. I recently posted a comparison with corsa (with and without mid muffler) and manifolds (stock vs long tube heads) but you need to remember that I am running a 2.5 exhaust.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f449/5-7-exhaust-comparisons-627314/?627314=#post7999594

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
I guess it depends what year you get.
On my 2014 5.7 I have Flow master Super 40s, a cold start is pretty loud if you're standing next to it. However with the small diameter exhaust and restrictive heads and cat it is NOT loud enough for me when cruising.
Highway cruising there is some drone but I personally think thats all relative.
If you're worried about making people mad in your apartment complex the Super 40s would be a good choice for a non-active exaust chally... and then you can always make it louder.
On the '17 I would say just a muff delete.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Hurst exhaust is made by Flowmaster. The 6.4 system is 3" cat back, not sure of the size for 5.7. There is a small amount of drone if there is a load on the motor around 2000 RPM's. Not a problem for me because I have a manual and can keep it out of that RPM range if it bothers me. Real happy with this system. Could possibly loose some torque with a larger exhaust on the 5.7, not sure. I'm running the 392 with the 3". No real change in 1/4 mile times and can't feel any difference driving around town. Sounds great! Loud enough to hear the motor through the helmet, but not so loud it scares the neighborhood kids.

Here's a comparison between the stock SRT exhaust and the Hurst:
https://youtu.be/KeT3i_BkU0I

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 17 R/T and had basically the same question.

I am really thinking the Mid-Muffler delete will be the perfect (and most cost effective) option. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Solo Performance - Mach X

Don't know if they have something for the 2017's yet with the active exhaust. But this is what I have on my 2015 R/T plus. Very pleased. Mild tone when cruising and very mean/loud when asking for it. Price is also considerably better than the other names when looking at a cat back system. Also just put some of their round dual tips on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
Reactions: Moparblue
1 - 10 of 10 Posts