Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2016 Scat Pack and when turning at a slow speed here a noise coming for the read end. I read somewhere that there is a TSB for changing out the rear end fluid anyone know if there is?

·
Registered
500 Posts
yes on the TSB... new fluid part# is 68083381AA . 58.00 for 1 liter bottle. you will also need a 4 oz bottle of LSD additive.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,717 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT
307 Posts
Thanks I have the same issue.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
If you don't add enough friction modifier, you will notice the rear will groan a little on slow, tight turns. Some have said 4 ounces is not enough. I have used RP gear lube which supposedly has friction modifier added in the blend but you still need to add modifier.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed by the dealer.

Took my car back to the dealer, they said they were going to just installed a new unit which ,I think was the posi unit in the rear end. Said they did not rebuild it so am not sure what was bad. Was happy they did take care of the problem gave a rental car till mine was fixed. Took day and a half.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Took my car back to the dealer, they said they were going to just installed a new unit which ,I think was the posi unit in the rear end. Said they did not rebuild it so am not sure what was bad. Was happy they did take care of the problem gave a rental car till mine was fixed. Took day and a half.

Yeah, I actually had this done a while back. Took it in for the inital fluid change which didn't fix it then they replaced the entire differential. All you can do is replace the differential. You can't open them in our cars, apparently.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
You can. The issue is shims. Dodge does not sell shims to set the pinion depth. So you either have some made or you can send it off to a place ( forget the name ) and they make them and will put upgraded clutches in ect. 2000 bucks

I grenaded one got a new one. Best thing to help the rear ends is get rid of the rubber cradle bushings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Great, I have a 2011 R/T with the limited slip differential. I just changed the diff fluid (Gear Oil and additive) and used the Mopar stuff that the parts guy at the dealer said was for my VIN but now it is groaning. Should I add another bottle of additive ? I have 2 months left on my warranty so I better figure this out soon.

Could he have sold me the wrong stuff ? I only have 200 miles on it since I changed it but it is making noises I never heard before.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I thnk part of the TSB is to actually NOT put any friction modifier in the new 230 diffs ('15+). Mine got replaced after it broke and when it got replaced I specifically asked about the fluid and the dealer said that Chrysler says no modifier in the new rears. Thats why the TSB pictured in the PDF only calls out one fluid. If it wanted/needed modifier it would have been listed. It is omitted for a reason. Now, it may be a part of the fluid listed (pre mixed), but I have no idea

·
Registered
4 Posts
What you say makes sense. I just had mine done by the dealer and they used 2 of the 68083381aa so will see after a couple hundred miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts