Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my former Mustang GT I just pulled the timing back a bit and changed the plugs running a 100shot, no issues.

No I want to install the n20 plate system 100 shot. One shop says I need the diablo tuner. The other shop says to just change the plugs and pull the timing back a bit.

So do i need a tune for a 100-125 shot? That’s going to b an extra $1K or so?

What are the genral thoughts in running a 125 shot vs 100shot on a stock engine?

·
Registered
2013 Core
815 Posts
When I was installing my nitrous outlet setup, the guys there told me to get a tune for 100+ shot.

I can't tell you anymore than that since I never got the tune and have never use the nitrous.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I would not personally run a 100 shot through a stock car on the stock tune. You have no idea if you are getting any knock, what your air/fuel ratio is, etc.

At the bare minimum, if you do not tune the car, I would get a Trinity T1000 and at least monitor for knock. You can monitor on the stock PCM, just cannot tune or alter things. This way you at least know if you're getting any knock. If you are getting knock while spraying nitrous it's just a matter of time before your pistons are toast.

You may be running some good 93 pump gas one day at the track and the next month you filled up with some shit gas that's barely 90 octane and you start spraying it thinking you're fine and KABOOM! At least if you were monitoring for knock, when you saw 0 last time and suddenly saw 4-5 degrees you could let off and save the motor.

Another thing, why bother spraying 100 shot if you're not going to fully utilize the power added? I would just bite the bullet and get the car tuned. Get a wideband installed, this way you know where your air/fuel ratio is at all times. You will get more out of the setup by tuning it and dialing it in than just throwing a bunch of nitrous at it.

For reference, my car was running 11.6 at 118mph last fall at the track with basic mods (tune, catch can, hellcat airbox, throttle body, racestar wheels/drag radials) and another guy at the track that same day that was stock but had 20" drag radials and 100 shot was also running 11.6 at 122mph. We were running about the same ET, but he had more MPH since he was spraying. Now if he had a tune and had his timing dialed in and air-fuel ratio dialed in I'm sure he would have been running low 11's at a higher MPH. Point being, I don't think his setup was fully optimized still running on the stock tune.

That said, many guys do it and their motors are still together, but IMO without monitoring for knock it's just a matter of time before you get that shitty tank of fuel and you hit it with some spray and it's game over. Just my two cents, which probably isn't even worth that haha!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think if you do a search here about nitrous going back to 2010-2015 most recommendations were 50-75 shot w/o a tune (some said 100) and one step colder plugs.

·
Registered
2015 challenger R/T
69 Posts
Been spraying my 5.7 stock tune, stock plugs, on a 100 Dry shot for 3 years now. No issues at all. Some will call bs but it is what it is. I am pretty familiar with nitrous and can say 100% a 75 shot wet or dry with out doing anything else will do no harm.

·
Registered
765 Posts
How much are you spraying in the 6.4? I've read a lot of conflicting things about the 6.4 and Spray. Curious to hear how someone who is actually doing it has made out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A 100 shot is the highest I'd go without a tune.

With a tune- on a stock 5.7, the highest I'd go is 175 shot.
On a stock 6.4, 150.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,133 Posts
A 100 shot is the highest I'd go without a tune.

With a tune- on a stock 5.7, the highest I'd go is 175 shot.
On a stock 6.4, 150.
What kind of extra power are you 5.7 or eta gains are gaining on the 100 shot

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Been spraying my 5.7 stock tune, stock plugs, on a 100 Dry shot for 3 years now. No issues at all. Some will call bs but it is what it is. I am pretty familiar with nitrous and can say 100% a 75 shot wet or dry with out doing anything else will do no harm.
What do you think about spraying a Whipple Supercharged 5.7 with a stock bottom end.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
If you are racing it might be an issue. What have you done the the engine. I don’t know what other mods you have but you are certainly going to be in a power range where the half shafts are at a real risk along with concern for the drive shaft and rear diff if you are driving the car hard.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Stock 5.7 (eagle) on a 100shot (from a company that rates their shots to the wheels) expect 90-100 rwhp and 100-120 rwtq.
My 13’ challenger that had cam and headers on a 100 shot (via nitrous express) made 460/520. On a 150 now making 520/540. Best of 11.2 at 123 with some progressive controller issues, stock bottom end still.
Expect 1-1.3 in the 1/4 mile with no other changes.
100 shot: one step colder plugs (if nothing else done and 2 degrees pulled, I ran 91. On a 150, 2 steps colder and i run a can of torco to 10 gallons of 91.

Bought an 06 charger Daytona recently. Starting at a 100shot and probably rest at 125 for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,133 Posts
Stock 5.7 (eagle) on a 100shot (from a company that rates their shots to the wheels) expect 90-100 rwhp and 100-120 rwtq.
My 13’ challenger that had cam and headers on a 100 shot (via nitrous express) made 460/520. On a 150 now making 520/540. Best of 11.2 at 123 with some progressive controller issues, stock bottom end still.
Expect 1-1.3 in the 1/4 mile with no other changes.
100 shot: one step colder plugs (if nothing else done and 2 degrees pulled, I ran 91. On a 150, 2 steps colder and i run a can of torco to 10 gallons of 91.

Bought an 06 charger Daytona recently. Starting at a 100shot and probably rest at 125 for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help I really don’t want to get into supercharger because by the time I put 6 k to 10k I might as well trade the car in and get a 392 the car I’ve got will still be a 5.7 and an I’ll never get that money back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts