Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey @[email protected],
I've talked to you here several times earlier in the year with lots of questions on my supercharger purchase. I ended up buying it from you guys and went with the 6psi Magnuson early last month (April)

I quickly realized I wanted more boost so I decided to go forged and get your comp fuel pump, ATI damper, smaller pulley, etc. I called in today to see if I could get your 12psi canned tune to allow me to break in my new clutch before it goes to the dyno and was told that I'm not eligible to receive the tune.

My issue is, I bought this supercharger less than 2 months ago from you guys and I really thought that when I bought the supporting mods (from you) to go to 12psi that I would at least get the stock tune to get it on the road. I've already arranged to get a dyno tune in a couple of weeks but I need to get some miles put on the new clutch before going on the dyno.

Is there any way you could help a guy out?

Thanks.

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
Hey @[email protected],
I've talked to you here several times earlier in the year with lots of questions on my supercharger purchase. I ended up buying it from you guys and went with the 6psi Magnuson early last month (April)

I quickly realized I wanted more boost so I decided to go forged and get your comp fuel pump, ATI damper, smaller pulley, etc. I called in today to see if I could get your 12psi canned tune to allow me to break in my new clutch before it goes to the dyno and was told that I'm not eligible to receive the tune.

My issue is, I bought this supercharger less than 2 months ago from you guys and I really thought that when I bought the supporting mods (from you) to go to 12psi that I would at least get the stock tune to get it on the road. I've already arranged to get a dyno tune in a couple of weeks but I need to get some miles put on the new clutch before going on the dyno.

Is there any way you could help a guy out?

Thanks.
(sorry about the delayed reply – somehow missed the notification and found your post yesterday)

Hi SuperchargedSP,

Thank you very much for being a customer and so glad you love your 6 psi setup so much that you want more, more, more. You are not alone in our customer base catching the “power bug”.

I do have to put out a word of caution as you bring your car up to 12 psi of boost – and hopefully I can explain along the way why there really is no such thing as a “canned” 12 psi tune.

The OEM Challengers and Chargers are pretty robust vehicles that can take 6 psi from a drop-on supercharger, using stock block, heads, pistons, cam, and exhaust with few changes, mainly upgraded injectors. And you get 100-120HP from that, which is a great place to start. Since almost nothing has changed, a “canned” tune is possible for 6 psi on stock parts. And we try to build in enough flexibility for a few changes, higher flow air intake, maybe headers – that the tune can safely handle.

I see from your other posts that you are matching your high-HP parts yourself, rather than going with a complete, pre-tested setup from Arrington, HHP or MM. You are getting some of your parts from us, some from them, which by definition means your build will be unique (good thing) but none of us will be able to fully support that build (bad thing). So even my historical 12 psi tunes won’t match your setup. Here is what we have to take into account when thinking about providing an “approximate” tune for 12 psi, when we are not the ones doing the engine build:
· Injectors
· Camshaft
· Compression ratio
· Other choices made when forging the block – is everything still within stock parameters?

…then there is the list of additional variables that we normally take into account for the tune:
· Headers/exhaust
· Head gaskets
· Spark plugs and gap
· Throttle body size
· Heads
· Valves and springs

When your engine was still STOCK at 6 psi – we knew the answers for all of these components and we could do a canned tune. More importantly, we could be sure our tune didn’t put the engine into an unsafe condition. Without the car being stock, we don’t even know if you are going to get 10 psi or 13-14 psi. Tuning is about eliminating the variables. All stock motors are identical -- almost no 700HP/12psi motor is the same as any other. That’s why you can get a canned tune for stock, but not for high-boost.

At 12 psi boost, EVERYTHING puts the engine into an unsafe condition – if you get the settings wrong for the parts you chose. Too rich, too lean, starting with check-engine codes and then on through hydrolocking or detonating pistons. We would never drive a 12 psi car long enough or hard enough to break in a clutch on a mis-matched tune. We highly recommend against you trying it.

As for helping you out….

We have to recommend leaving the car boosted at 6 psi until you are ready for the tune. The fuel pump upgrade is okay, but not the damper or small pulley.

When you do the final step, install the damper, pulley, and the injectors and do the tune all at once. We just can’t see spinning the supercharger that hard without a controlled environment to get the tune right. Your tuner, or ours (should you buy the tune from us), will go through all of the variables with the car on the dyno. It is done step-by-step with an ultra-safe setting at low power first, then putting timing back in and checking the fuel ratio as the power goes up.

If both configurations were stock, with truly “canned” tunes, I would be giving you a free swap. But the work to move you from 6 to 12 psi takes more time, and requires more care than just swapping files, so I can’t make it free. In addition, since we think damage to the engine is so likely, we would not send out a “temporary” tune for a 12 psi setup unless we built the entire engine.

For our customer relationship, I can see why you may have thought the supercharger upgrade would come with a tune. We don’t list it as an “upgrade kit”, but we do have it as a purchase option on the web site. I apologize for any confusion and we will look into making the tune availability clear on the site. I will be happy to take a return for refund on the upgrade parts. I will even waive the re-stocking fee. And if you find an alternative, give us a call or PM me – we’ll make sure you don’t lose any money because of this confusion. I hate selling people parts that don’t make it to the cars.

I am sure this will turn out great, and we will always be here to offer advice because we want all Challenger owners to enjoy their cars. Thanks again for your business.

Tim
shopHEMI.com
866-844-1245

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's no problem, and thanks for the reply. For clarification, the only part of the upgrade parts you list that I didn't buy from you was the injectors. I wanted the 80lb instead of the 72lb. There's nothing radical with my build besides the hellcat camshaft, it's nearly identical to any other Modern Muscle forged build. I figured that since I have spent $10k with you guys in the last couple of months I would at least get the tune, but if that's your policy, so be it. I will also note that I was quoted free shipping on the SC but charged $140 anyway, which I chose to consider a tip.

Anyway, I have been in contact with two remote tuners and am confident that one of them will be able to get me taken care of.

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
@[email protected], On a side note, could you tell me what size belt you guys use for the 2.65 pulley and 17% overdrive damper? Thanks.

We stock a range of belts and use the one that matches the power output we are designing.
K061000 to K061015

We usually start with the K061005 or K061010 and see if the tensioner adjustment works without belt slippage. The problem is the 2.65" pulley has a lot less belt surface. One or two customers have even sourced a "gripping" pulley to eliminate slip.

We will also swap tensioners if we feel that the right combination of tension/slip is not coming together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts