Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new 2014 srt and just ordered a tuner looking in the manual I see where it has an 87 octane tune as well as the 91 and 93 I will be making a trip from IL to FL (going to the track experience in Daytona in May) my question is gas mileage in the 3 modes with the price of gas which would be the most cost effective on a trip where you are going to set the cruise on 75 and go. I know with my hopped up srt caliber I could get around 3 mpg better with the higher octane gas. thanks for any and all replies I know once I get there it will be on the 93 tune for sure

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,607 Posts
Theoretically you should get the best mpg from the 93 octane tune, but in reality you may not see much difference between the different tunes due to the effects of extraneous factors like wind, terrain, foot's lead content, etc.

Personally, I find running the higher octane tunes result in lower mpg numbers, but I suspect that's mostly due to my highway driving habits...like driving a few mph under speed limit to allow cars to get ahead of me and get all lined up, then waiting for a straight stretch of road to punch it and pass them 3 and 4 at a time.

It's not the most fuel efficient manner in which to drive, but it sure makes those long trips much more tolerable!!

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Just got a new 2014 srt and just ordered a tuner looking in the manual I see where it has an 87 octane tune as well as the 91 and 93 I will be making a trip from IL to FL (going to the track experience in Daytona in May) my question is gas mileage in the 3 modes with the price of gas which would be the most cost effective on a trip where you are going to set the cruise on 75 and go. I know with my hopped up srt caliber I could get around 3 mpg better with the higher octane gas. thanks for any and all replies I know once I get there it will be on the 93 tune for sure
10.9:1 Compression motor... Never run less than 93 octane fuel if available. 87 is for much lower compression. Look at the extra $20 in gas cost as insurance plus you want some miles on the 93 tune so your trims will all be dialed in when you get there.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10.9:1 Compression motor... Never run less than 93 octane fuel if available. 87 is for much lower compression. Look at the extra $20 in gas cost as insurance plus you want some miles on the 93 tune so your trims will all be dialed in when you get there.
Don't think I will but I thought with the knock sensors it would pull enough timming to run lower octane I know the tuner has a 87 octane tune?

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
In theory you are correct, it should/will pull timing. I’m just not a big fan of detuning unless you’re breaking in a SC or spraying. I’m old school and believe that anything over 10:1 should get premium to prevent detonation either from Spark Advance or heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts