Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are lots of great threads on this subject... mostly older but some more recent. I just picked up this 2010 6-speed SRT with 50K miles after selling my '67 GTO that I had owned for 38 years but rarely drove. Love the Challenger... I can drive it hard without concerns of damaging any irreplaceable 53-y/o Pontiac parts.

But this is my first newer muscle car so I know nothing about tuning. I have installed a 3" cat-back exhaust with Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers, CAI and 180 t-stat. I exclusively run 93-octane fuel. Fuel economy means zero to me. Will a Diablosport 8300 Intune i3 have the appropriate canned tune to get this car to its optimized performance? I realize these are very mild mods but still think the car's tune should be optimized. Called a few local (hour away) tuner shops and got prices of around $600 to set up such a simple tune. If the Intune i3 is not an applicable tuner for my purposes, any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance... I don't want to order a unit that is inapplicable for me!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
The lower temp thermostat will not have much benefit without an adjustment of the temperatures at which the electric fans on the radiator kick on/off. They should be commanded to turn on/off at lower temps, thus keeping the overall temperature of the engine coolant (and the engine it’s circulating within) down below 200F. You’ll need a handheld tuner in order to make those changes yourself.

Also, running >91 octane is good, but the stock tune can only take advantage of the extra couple octane points of 93 octane gasoline if a little more ignition timing were added. You’ll need a handheld tuner for this, either by making those spark adjustments yourself (HP Tuners) or running the 93 octane canned tune of one of the DiabloSport units.

Which brings us to the whole question of which way to go with a handheld tuner purchase for a new mode Dodge Challenger/Charger/300. The difference between the two companies’ approach to PCM modifications is the key.

HP Tuners devices will allow complete access to any/all parameters that can be modified, and there is a significant amount of learning to do first before one can be used with any confidence and efficacy. The danger of messing something up by making changes that shouldn’t be made is real, but it can be mitigated by keeping any changes small and doing lots of datalogging for verification.

DiabloSport devices are on the other end of that scale. They will not allow the user to make many changes to a tune other than just loading an already modified one that has some general improvements over the stock one when it comes to ignition timing and torque management.

Some adjustment of the amount of fuel being sprayed at WOT and the amount of ignition timing applies at WOT is possible, but those changes will only apply to WOT operation. So they are of limited use obviously (unless you literally drive full throttle everywhere you go).

Both will require lots of learning to get up to speed on using with any confidence (including how to use datalog engine operation), but the HP Tuners devices do not come with the canned tunes like the DiabloSport tuners do.

For your immediate needs - adjusting fan temps and adding more spark to fully use 93 gas - the DiabloSport tuner might be the quickest and easiest way to go. It will be the more expensive option though, possibly by a large amount depending upon which DiabloSport tuner you’re talking about.

Other than datalogging engine operation, the DianloSport tuner will not be much help after that I’m afraid.

That just scratches the surface of what the HP Tuner devices can do however. In fact, to use an HP Tuner device to make only those two changes could be considered a waste, given what all else the HP Tuner device can do...you just have to take the time to learn how to use all that extra functionality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just installed the Diablo I3 2 days ago in My 09 SRT8 6 speed manual did the canned 93 tune .it feels much better in the mid range and was not to bad to install .Hardest part was the update before install .Only because im old lol . Sending info back to Sean later today for a custom tune i paid for , Have a set of BBK long tubes and high flow cats but have not put them on yet .

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Just installed the Diablo I3 2 days ago in My 09 SRT8 6 speed manual did the canned 93 tune .it feels much better in the mid range and was not to bad to install .Hardest part was the update before install .Only because im old lol . Sending info back to Sean later today for a custom tune i paid for , Have a set of BBK long tubes and high flow cats but have not put them on yet .
No, that CAL ID update is intense. I had to do it on my Trinity before I could start using it on my 2014, and I had such a hard time getting it completed thatI almost gave up and said ‘screw it’ to using the tuner on the 2014.

Reactions: Gearheadgregg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the insights... have heard the Diablosport updates can be challenging. I am also somewhat "older" but am around technology pretty consistently... hopefully can manage it within a reasonable amount of cussing (lol). It is the mid-range where my performance feels just a bit "off" and where a basic tune may help.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Thanks for all the insights... have heard the Diablosport updates can be challenging. I am also somewhat "older" but am around technology pretty consistently... hopefully can manage it within a reasonable amount of cussing (lol). It is the mid-range where my performance feels just a bit "off" and where a basic tune may help.
The best use of a handheld tuner IMHO is generating datalogs of the engine’s operation (WOT usually) so you can see what’s going on. Once you know what’s going on, you can make the decision on how to modify the tune above and beyond any modifications already made by a canned tune.

In your case I would do some WOT runs and generate datalogs of them to see if the stock tune is experiencing any KR in those mid-RPMs. Then load the 93 tune and do it again to check for any KR. Hopefully it would not be present, but if it was there in the stock tune (91 octane optimized)while running 93 octane, it will probably still be there with the 93 tune and 93 gas, if not increased a bit.

At that point I’d load the 91 tune and adjust the WOT Fuel and spark params as necessary to combat the KR.

Ideally the logs will contain 0 - 0.5 degrees KR, but getting them to look that way is the trick.

Reactions: Gearheadgregg

·
Registered
45 Posts
It was holding back for sure like the timing was needing advanced . We have 93 fuel here so it should be fine . Shut off the antispin crap and hammered it good it roasted the tires through 2nd and stayed strong through 3rd , so i would say this would most likely be more improvement than the Long tube headers being my car has shorty's from the factory already . So i would say these tunes are real improvement . My thoughts are that the stock Cats that will be removed for the hi flow i have waiting should be more of a improvement than just long tubes Stock cats are very restrictive . Not doing my Headers till spring i have a 4 post lift ordered to be installed . I refuse to lay on back anymore . Need a cherry picker to get me off the floor now days lol 😁

1 - 7 of 7 Posts