Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading many forums about the DiabloSport inTune i3 wanting to take advantage of following upgrades from stock on my 2017 RT plus: 275 all around, Volant CAI and switch to 93 Octane. Before I pull the trigger will I need a custom tune or will the i3 out of the box handle it? I also thought I saw something about an encryption issue with the 2017 PCM? Thanks in advance for your input & knowledge.

-Dogg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,705 Posts
On 2015+ you either need to buy an unlocked PCM, or pull yours and send it off to be unlocked. There is an i3, and an i3 Platinum. They both have pre-loaded tunes. The Platinum will also install custom tunes.

You can also get packages with custom tunes as mentioned above, IE:

If you purchase with just canned tunes, you can also get a custom tune later, assuming you get a model capable of loading custom tunes. You can get custom tunes several places, just mentioning the place mentioned in above post, it's not the only source

A Guy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response and info I know for sure now I need a unlocked PCM. Do I need the added cost for the custom tune though looks like tire size and 93 oct are default options unless I am missing something?

-Dogg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,705 Posts
If you want a 93 octane tune that is not specifically tailored to your car, a canned tune will suffice. A custom tune will generally optimize your performance, only exceeded by a dyno tune that has the advantage of tuning while making dyno runs

A Guy

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
If you're going to spend all that money for an unlocked PCM and a tuner, spend the extra for the custom tune, it's night and day to the canned tunes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah go big or go home right agreed! Thanks all for your input.

-Dogg

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Yeah go big or go home right agreed! Thanks all for your input.

-Dogg
Well, I wouldn't categorize a tune as going big by any means. My '12 didn't require an unlocked PCM so i just had the cost of the tuner and I think an additional $160 for a hemifever email tune. For me, it was well worth it as Sean's tune was a significant improvement over the canned tune. Honestly, I'd most likely not have gone the tune route if I had to spend the extra money to unlock the computer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered from https://www.hemifevertuning.com yesterday I will let everyone know the process once I get more info. For those that already have a tune are there any tips or tricks I should know about the process that would help things go smooth??

-Dogg

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you get the tuner, you need to download the Diablosport programs to your home computer. Once you've done that, connect your I3 to your computer and it will check for updates and download them to the tuner. You need to do this before you connect it to your car. Even after I connected mine to the car, the car told the tuner it needed another update, so back to the laptop it went. After all that smooth sailing. Sean sent me his Hemi tune and Wow! Awesome! Feels like a different car!!!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
I thought on the I3 you can set it up to access your home WIFI which it can then pull the correct crom once your vehicle info is entered? So no need to connect to a computer for updates.

In fact, my buddy had a wrangler that the intune kept telling us that the calibration was wrong even though we updated through the diablo software. It wasn't until we created a WIFI hot spot with my phone for the intune to link to that the intune finally grabbed the right file.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, the I3 does have wifi, mine was super slow, so I brought a laptop out to the car with wifi. Connect I3 through the usb cable and the updates seemed to go much faster.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today's is the day boyz...

-Dogg

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well for starters I was wrong on the process I received the i3 only 3 days ago however I just needed the numbers off that and my PCM to order the unlocked PCM from DiabloSports directly. So I should receive the unlocked PCM from DS's today. So my fun...I go out yesterday evening after not driving the car since pulling the PCM to verify numbers turn on the whip get an error code and check engine light (PCM:p2127: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch E Circuit Low) WOnt shift out of 1st gear multiple restarts will not clear... What have I done??? This is before any tune???

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
Well for starters I was wrong on the process I received the i3 only 3 days ago however I just needed the numbers off that and my PCM to order the unlocked PCM from DiabloSports directly. So I should receive the unlocked PCM from DS's today. So my fun...I go out yesterday evening after not driving the car since pulling the PCM to verify numbers turn on the whip get an error code and check engine light (PCM:p2127: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch E Circuit Low) WOnt shift out of 1st gear multiple restarts will not clear... What have I done??? This is before any tune???
Check to make sure you have not bent any pins when you installed the connectors to the PCM.

Ah, so you did not install the new PCM yet, how did you check the numbers on the current PCM? Did you unplug the connectors? If so, check for bent pins.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check to make sure you have not bent any pins when you installed the connectors to the PCM.

Ah, so you did not install the new PCM yet, how did you check the numbers on the current PCM? Did you unplug the connectors? If so, check for bent pins.
So I must of not seeded the OEM PCM well because after reading your advice I took it back off and looked at the pins. Nothing was bent but after putting everything back together no error code or check engine light! Great minds on here thanks Chally T for the quick fix.... now I just have to remove it again later to install the unlocked PCM so I will make sure to seed it correctly this time. I now have lots of practice.

-Dogg

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,131 Posts
So I must of not seeded the OEM PCM well because after reading your advice I took it back off and looked at the pins. Nothing was bent but after putting everything back together no error code or check engine light! Great minds on here thanks Chally T for the quick fix.... now I just have to remove it again later to install the unlocked PCM so I will make sure to seed it correctly this time. I now have lots of practice.

-Dogg
LoL...I love it Chally T. I pitty the fool who don't buy a challenger!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,705 Posts
Sometimes pins can get pushed back in the connector as well. Just a matter of making sure all wires are pushed in to connector as far as possible. You might actually see the metal connector if wires are pulled out far enough.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,705 Posts
Yes, the connector with wires of course ;)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts