Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are dozens of threads on Predator tuners, etc., but therein lies the problem. I've never used one, so much of the info/terms are meaningless to me. So simple questions (and hopefully simple answers), if I order the Diablo Sport Predator tuner (think it's around $400)...

1. Do I need to buy anything else to be able to use it?
  2. Are the instructions clear enough for me to maximize the perf on my SRT with CAI and exhaust mods without having to make phone calls or trawling through dozens of other threads/websites?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Pay about $300 including computer connection stuff, look around at the sponsers here for a good price, $400 way too much. if you buy used make sure its not linked to another car, could be a big problem. You might/will need the computer connection to upgrade your car first or to grt cusyom tunes or dataloging.. my wife followed the computer direction upgrade for my car and then i loaded it into the car. there is a site on another forum that explains the predator with a graphic tree very helpful .
pm me and i will get you the link.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I bought one new with the USB cable so you can download updates to it through your computer (don't need to but you can later if needed) for 299.00 from maryland speed. (a little higher if you buy the thermostat package, or the thermo/oil catch can/tuner package)

Get a new one, for the price, you really can't complain too much, its cheaper than adding a couple of pieces of non functional chrome plating eye candy to the engine bay.

And yes, it is simple. The instructions are clear. You basically plug it into the OBDII port under the drivers dash area, it only goes on one way so you can't do it backwards. then you turn the ignition to the ON position (I use keyless ignition so i had to press the start button twice without touching the brake) then you follow the screen prompts on the diablo. Believe you select performance tune, select which tune you want 93 octane, 93 octane + cai, 91 octane, 91 octane + cai or whatever other choices there were. then click continue, and it will first run thru a process where it saves the original tune to your car inside the tuner, then it will proceed to load whatever tune you asked to put into the car afterwards. It takes a few minutes to load each way, but i was done inside of 15 minutes, and the car did drive different afterwards. (probably because the tune was fresh and didn't have much adaptive learning on it) Mash the gas now and it will spin the tires, try it before and it wouldn't (5.7 auto).

I had hoped to see a little better gas mileage on a trip i took in the car that weekend, but i couldn't keep it below 80mph the whole trip, and gas mileage suffers above 72 or so. At 70 i actually saw it register 32mpg for a couple miles before stopped looking at it. At 80 to 90 mph i was averaging 21.6 to 22.5mpg. Which is about what i got before on the stock tune, at 75mph. (370 mile trip)

·
Registered
450 Posts
This thread has some great info for starting out, especially post #10: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/diablo-predator-u7135-information-source-40286/

Also, this is a great website to refer to when you first get your Predator: Diablosport Predator

And, like others have said, $400 is pretty high; the best prices for both tuner and USB interface are ~$300. The MDSpeed deal is a great one. That USB interface kit is not technically required, but you'll definitely want it, at least to be able to flash upgrades to the Predator. That's really the only other thing you'll need to buy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. Perfect!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've ordered one--yay! This one's for my Magnum. I'm really interested to see what difference it can make to the overall driving and shifting feel, at least as much as performance gain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts