Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to find a tuner for my 2016 dodge challenger sxt. I was wondering which tuner is the best? (diablo, etc)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Well, not one answer, but some info of what I know. Unlocked PCM needed, either 2nd PCM swap, or send yours in to be unlocked. With tuner, $700 to $1300 approx. new

Diablo tuners. Some are canned tune only, put on their 91 or 93 octane tune and get 13-15 HP and 15-20 Torque

Some will let you add a custom tune. Email tune, dyno tune...should pick up more, how much depends on octane run and tune/tuner you get it from. Generally easier to do.

HP Tuners, custom tunes, ability to tune many more functions, higher learning curve. Can get email/dyno tunes from tuners who use this platform. Have to buy credits, still need unlocked PCM, I'll let others reply on specifics of what's needed and cost

A Guy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, not one answer, but some info of what I know. Unlocked PCM needed, either 2nd PCM swap, or send yours in to be unlocked. $700 to $1300 approx. new

Diablo tuners. Some are canned tune only, put on their 91 or 93 octane tune and get 13-15 HP and 15-20 Torque

Some will let you add a custom tune. Email tune, dyno tune...should pick up more, how much depends on octane run and tune/tuner you get it from. Generally easier to do.

HP Tuners, custom tunes, ability to tune many more functions, higher learning curve. Can get email/dyno tunes from tuners who use this platform. Have to buy credits, still need unlocked PCM, I'll let others reply on specifics of what's needed and cost

A Guy
for the diablo, do yo just buy it and it is already programed?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Diablo will all come with 91 and 93 octane canned tunes, yes. These are "universal" tunes

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
So, a tune will need the device, and unlocked PCM. I don't know if anyone will install just a tune. Normally they are either by email, where you log and send info to the tuner, they write you a new tune based on the info and you repeat that a few times until tune is dialed in.

OR, you go to a shop with a dyno, they do a run, tune, do a run, etc. until the tune is dialed in.

I will say that a tune specific to your car from a reputable tuner will be better than a canned tune, maybe considerably better

A Guy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, a tune will need the device, and unlocked PCM. I don't know if anyone will install just a tune. Normally they are either by email, where you log and send info to the tuner, they write you a new tune based on the info and you repeat that a few times until tune is dialed in.

OR, you go to a shop with a dyno, they do a run, tune, do a run, etc. until the tune is dialed in.

I will say that a tune specific to your car from a reputable tuner will be better than a canned tune, maybe considerably better

A Guy
the tune would cost more than the diablo right?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
I don't believe so, it depends on what and where. I have never done it, so don't know specifics on custom tunes

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Again, that will have to be a question for someone else, and it will of course vary

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
For dyno tunes on a stock motor you are looking at ~$600 to $800 but rate vary depending on where you live. Around my neck of the woods it is more like $800 to $1000. For heavily modified engines the cost obviously goes up.

Now the difference between diablo and HP tuners is, HP tuners is for the DIY'er in that you have complete control of the tune. I mean you can control cam movement, activate/deactivate AES, skip shift, torque management, customize throttle behavior,...and much more. Also this means you can do a lot of damage if you don't know what you are doing. You can even fully customize the transmission behavior. Problem with HP tuners though is you must run it from a laptop to log or load a tune to the car. The thread below is a collection of posts I put together that helped me get familiar with HP tuners.

Diablo on the otherhand is standalone tuner (no laptop required to log or load tunes to the car) that really is more for loading tunes that a pro tuner develops using diablo's CMR software. Subscription based software that is generally not available to the average Joe. Diablo does have canned tunes such as 87, 91 and 93 octane tunes which on HP tuners you are on your own. I started off with diablo but as I found myself wanting more control I switched to HP tuners (learning curve is steep - I spent weeks reading posts before I started tweaking). Most pro tuners have both setups but it seems more are migrating to HP tuners.

Now when it comes to unlocked PCM, it used to be that you can use HP tuners with a PCM unlocked by diablo but that is no longer the case. So if you start off with diablo and switch to HP tuners you will need an HP tuners unlocked PCM.

If you really don't plan on tuning the car yourself then diablo fits the bill. But if you plan on rolling up your sleeves and tweaking the tune yourself (again steep learning curve) and have a laptop then HP tuners is where it is at. The cool thing about HP tuners is you can swap tunes (in fact I have shared tunes with the forum when I installed my HC cam) with other folks whereas diablo you can't. Hope this answers your questions.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
Here one more thing to think about besides a tuner to modify the PCM and TCM, and that is alfaOBD. It is software ($50 or you can use it as free but in 15 minute intervals) that works with an OBD interface that allows you to add options to your ride by modifying the BCM. For example, you can activate STP/Launch control (see link below), add fog light, add back-up camera...etc. My buddy with an SXT charger added sport mode. He even replaced his HVAC control panel so all he has to do is push the sport button.

Adding launch control

The software

It's similar to the Tazer from Zauto but it allows you to also diagnose all the vehicle modules as well (ABS, PCM, BCM, SRS...etc).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here one more thing to think about besides a tuner to modify the PCM and TCM, and that is alfaOBD. It is software ($50 or you can use it as free but in 15 minute intervals) that works with an OBD interface that allows you to add options to your ride by modifying the BCM. For example, you can activate STP/Launch control (see link below), add fog light, add back-up camera...etc. My buddy with an SXT charger added sport mode. He even replaced his HVAC control panel so all he has to do is push the sport button.

Adding launch control

The software

It's similar to the Tazer from Zauto but it allows you to also diagnose all the vehicle modules as well (ABS, PCM, BCM, SRS...etc).
thank you for the info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts