Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the computer style of tuning and I have some questions I cannot find answers for ...

1. When a tuner does a tune for you, email tune for example, can they lock the ECM from further modification or hide their changes?
2. Does the tuning device have this ability ... In other words, if a Diablo tune is uploaded with a Diablo device, can it be downloaded with another device?
3. I _assume_ all tuners can change is parameter tables and switches ... not actual code, correct?

It scares me a bit allowing someone else into my stuff that could secretly do great harm if they choose.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
The answer to the first question is no, they cannot lock the ECM. This is why you have to restore the factory tune before you take it back to a dealership because in the process of updating the ECM they can actually lock your tuner out. Also, though tuners don't leave a 'footprint', the dealer and the ECM record every time the ECM is flashed and if the number of flashes they have recorded does not match the number of flashes on the ECM they will know that some other tuning has taken place.

I don't know the answer to question two for sure, but I'm guessing that each manufacturer has their own protocol and you could not load, for example, and HP tune on a Diablo tuner. I think that was what you were asking.

Number 3 I believe is correct. The tuner can only revise the values for parameters that are already available. And then only for parameters that the tuner has been programmed to change.

My advice, if you start tuning, is take it slow and TAKE NOTES. Tweak one parameter at a time and test that out before setting a bunch of others. That way, if anything is screwed up you will know exactly what caused the problem.

Best of luck and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you BlackberrySmoke,

Actually, my interests are to not allow some "God Tuner" lock (or brick) my ECM ... Not interested in getting into the tuning business, I'm old, medically parked and I'll be dead before useful!
I'm planning an unconventional 5.7 build (I have different goals then most), I suspect it's going to be very hard to tune, I'm trying to ensure I don't get backed into a black hole tuner wise.

I suspect you meant File Formats, yes, I suspect each tuning device/software uses a different "file format" that cannot (though possible) be loaded and read by different tuning device/software. Piece O cake to resolve!
That is different then the question asked.

Question 2 was (a bit reworded), once a tune is uploaded (i.e. written to ECM), say with a Diablo, can a different tuner device/software download (save to file) that Diablo tune from the ECM as it's own.
Same Q, different way ... If tuner A tunes my car and just can't get it done and gives up, but has made tremendous progress, can my new tuner B continue with tuner A's work even if they use different devices/software?
Thus effectively converting it.
I can only _assume_ yes, because once written to the ECM it has to be in a memory layout the ECM code (software) understands. If the ECM can find/figure out the layout so can tuner devices/software.

The protocol is the same for all, it has to be else the ECM wouldn't understand ... Protocol is the language they speak when the two are connected. (ECM <-> Tuner device/Software)

And yes, a wise person only makes one change at a time and records it.
Unfortunately that does not always work, sometimes there are many interrelations between elements. You MUST understand that elements interrelations FIRST!

-Enjoy

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
Well, looks like your question was rhetorical in nature after all.

You would have to ask a professional tuner I guess. Once one tuner is "married" to an ECM I have no idea if another tuner can interact with it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
The tuners I dealt with are all good guys, had no issues with them over the years (Johan and Sean at Hemifever).

The tuner cannot lock out your PCM, you can put it back to stock or load another tune on if you want.

To my knowledge they just take your base stock tune and layer their adjustments on top of that. They'll ask you for your stock tune when you first get started.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's pretty straightforward and yields great results. Even using a custom email tune on a stock vehicle yields some solid gains (I picked up 25hp or so with a custom email tune and all I have is a hellcat airbox). Car dropped ET and picked up MPH in the 1/4 mile.

Good luck with your build!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, looks like your question was rhetorical in nature after all.
Sorry, lost me there ... don't understand?

[edit]
If I offended you somehow, I assure you that was not my intent.

-Enjoy

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
Sorry, lost me there ... don't understand?

[edit]
If I offended you somehow, I assure you that was not my intent.

-Enjoy
No offense at all. Just sounds like you've got a good handle on it. Sure am curious about your project, though.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
HP Tuners can read a Diablo tune from the PCM without issue.

A tuner with HP Tuners can *lock* their tune file so you can't read the values. This does not lock your PCM though.

RIPPs did this with my file, but I just read it back after I wrote it to get to the meaty values ;)

I did read a feature where, using HP Tuners, the tuner can lock the file, and lock it from being read back out. But that'd be a dick move IMO.

·
Registered
883 Posts
HP Tuners can read a Diablo tune from the PCM without issue.

I did read a feature where, using HP Tuners, the tuner can lock the file, and lock it from being read back out. But that'd be a dick move IMO.
This is very good information to know, I just got a custom tune, once I completed my 270 install. The car runs amazing, in my haste not knowing if I was going to get in touch with my preferred tuner, I ordered HPTuners. I want to be able to use my custom tune as a baseline. Or at least keep it stored, in case I totally mess my car up trying to tune on my own. I'll use my tuner even with having HPTuners. At least until I'm confident in my skills with the new device.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
New to the computer style of tuning and I have some questions I cannot find answers for ...

1. When a tuner does a tune for you, email tune for example, can they lock the ECM from further modification or hide their changes? The ECM Is not locked but some tuners will lock the tune itself from being copied or adjusted. This can be done with both HP tuners and Diablo.
2. Does the tuning device have this ability ... In other words, if a Diablo tune is uploaded with a Diablo device, can it be downloaded with another device? Like stated before you can import a unlocked Diablo file into HP tuners but not vice versa.

3. I _assume_ all tuners can change is parameter tables and switches ... not actual code, correct? Some yes, all no.

It scares me a bit allowing someone else into my stuff that could secretly do great harm if they choose.

-Enjoy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts