Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a tune on their 3.6 Penstar?

Have you seen any improvement?

Is there any recommendation for improving low-end torque?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Has anyone done a tune on their 3.6 Penstar?
Yes.

When I had my 2011, I ran all the canned tunes available on the inTune tuner and also customized them as much as possible (adjusting WOT Fuel to quell KR) for the engine in my car.

Have you seen any improvement?
I did see improvements, but it was most notable at high RPMs, I.e. going from 60 mph to 100+ mph.

Is there any recommendation for improving low-end torque?

Thanks.
The 3.6L is a great engine, but it will not be able to produce much torque while naturally aspirated. Adding a super Charger is about the only way to significantly up its torque output.

However, that’s not to say the car cannot be made quicker from a dead stop without forced induction, quite the opposite. Making changes to the gearing can up the torque multiplication and effectively make the car accelerate much better.

The change to the 8 speed auto ZF transmission in 2015+ year models is an example of this. Any 2015+ SXT will out accelerate a 2014 and below SXT by a noticeable difference, and it’s all because they dropped the 5speed auto in favor of the 8 speed auto with a lower first and second gear.

If you already have a 2015+ SXT, your choices become fewer. Swapping out the rear-end for one with a lower ratio is about it. Going to a 3.9x ratio rear-end will certainly help the acceleration, but it’s not easy and will cost some money to get done.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,626 Posts
Apparently there is some power to be had by tweaking the cam VVT tables. I have never messed with the V6 but there are guys on the HP tuners site who have, although no power figures have been given. Just be forewarned that tunes which promise power increase usually need to run premium exclusively.

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.

When I had my 2011, I ran all the canned tunes available on the inTune tuner and also customized them as much as possible (adjusting WOT Fuel to quell KR) for the engine in my car.

I did see improvements, but it was most notable at high RPMs, I.e. going from 60 mph to 100+ mph.

The 3.6L is a great engine, but it will not be able to produce much torque while naturally aspirated. Adding a super Charger is about the only way to significantly up its torque output.

However, that’s not to say the car cannot be made quicker from a dead stop without forced induction, quite the opposite. Making changes to the gearing can up the torque multiplication and effectively make the car accelerate much better.

The change to the 8 speed auto ZF transmission in 2015+ year models is an example of this. Any 2015+ SXT will out accelerate a 2014 and below SXT by a noticeable difference, and it’s all because they dropped the 5speed auto in favor of the 8 speed auto with a lower first and second gear.

If you already have a 2015+ SXT, your choices become fewer. Swapping out the rear-end for one with a lower ratio is about it. Going to a 3.9x ratio rear-end will certainly help the acceleration, but it’s not easy and will cost some money to get done.
I have a 2017 SXT+. So looks like there is not much beyond a RIPP charger that I can do cause I don't think I can mess with the rear end swap.

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently there is some power to be had by tweaking the cam VVT tables. I have never messed with the V6 but there are guys on the HP tuners site who have, although no power figures have been given. Just be forewarned that tunes which promise power increase usually need to run premium exclusively.
That makes sense. I assume you would also get better gas mileage (at least that is what I had heard).

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Lol, I don't think they use the left foot for the gas pedal.
You could be right...i just figured if your food has things like kidneys and other boiled meats, you probably do other things all wonky, like putting the accelerator on the left and stuff

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Blimey! Me mum was Pete Tong...a left foot petrol pedal does exist. That's arse over elbow!
View attachment 981135
Neat setup, but they are hosed if they ever want to dress it up and install a footprint gas pedal like this idiot:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts