Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems we're able to do it just now with HPT, i updated to new beta tonight, and saw the option in there, I was looking to see if there was a way to set a shift light now that i've bumped my rev limiter to 6500rpm haha, i'll change the default startup position from 100% to something like 30%, and see how quiet i can make her on cold startups that way.
We can change both banks, normal, sport, MDS and drive-by, i have no idea what this last mode is, MDS i think will be present of those of you with A8 trans, maybe drive-by is also something you can set with the Auto's ?
Active_exhaust by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

This is how Nomal mode looks like in my 2015 M6 Challenger Scatp
Bank1, bank2 is the same
Active_exhaust_Normal by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

Sport mode
Active_exhaust_Sport by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

MDS mode
Active_exhaust_MDS by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

Drive-by
Active_exhaust_Drive-By Noise mode by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did set the default to 30% on both banks, and Normal to be 30% across the board, extending the rpm to 4500, where i make the blade open 100%,Active_exhaust_newNormal by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

Why ? in theory to make the car less noisy in Normal mode, the difference in noise is quiet noticeable now in Normal under spirited driving. the car is just quieter in Normal considering i have the Dynomax mini muffler in place of the stock mid mufflers. Cold starts are also less edgy.

I guess that i could set normal to 100% and have the blade open at all times, but i'd leave that for Sport only, i like that i'm able to set things a bit on the quieter side in Normal only.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posting the info from HPT in regards of drive-by mode,
I did set this table to all 100's, and i don't know if it's in mind, but i could swear the exhaust tone is different now (louder and deeper) compared to what it was when the table had the smaller values.

Drive-By Noise is due to regulatory constraints from somewhere. You'd have to ask some engineer at the OEMs familiar with it to get the full answer, but I've noticed it in multiple OEMs now. Ford has a "Pass-By" Noise limit, Dodge has "Drive-By" Noise limit.
Both active in similar situations. I haven't figured out what state/country specifically they're for, but I know some states do have limitations on vehicle noise that most of these vehicles probably don't meet at WOT for sure.

Basically, this is a very specific mode designed to restrict noise output, its only active in certain conditions. For the Hellcat I found this stuff in, the conditions a set gear (3rd on manuals, 5th on automatics), for set speeds (30-40mph), engine coolant >100*F <235*F, pedal depressed a certain amount (>80% or so), air temperature less than a certain value, baro greater than certain value, etc.

If you're in this "Drive By" mode, a special torque limit is active (not yet mapped out, but it's on the "list of things to do"), and your active exhaust switches to this map (even if you're in track mode!) to reduce vehicle noise.

If anyone knows of a specific drive cycle that has a noise limit, it's probably for that, but I haven't found it. I can tell you however the specific Manual Hellcat cal I was looking at, had this limit such that in 3rd from 36-40mph torque is limited to 331lb.ft. Should be from about 1500-2000RPM if my math works out right.

I don't know if anyones ever noticed this in their vehicles or not when driving. I've been meaning to test in my own car, just haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
I did set the default to 30% on both banks, and Normal to be 30% across the board, extending the rpm to 4500, where i make the blade open 100%,Active_exhaust_newNormal by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

Why ? in theory to make the car less noisy in Normal mode, the difference in noise is quiet noticeable now in Normal under spirited driving. the car is just quieter in Normal considering i have the Dynomax mini muffler in place of the stock mid mufflers. Cold starts are also less edgy.

I guess that i could set normal to 100% and have the blade open at all times, but i'd leave that for Sport only, i like that i'm able to set things a bit on the quieter side in Normal only.
What does the desired voltage (low) in the alternator setting do? Does it control the excitation signal of the alternator?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What does the desired voltage (low) in the alternator setting do? Does it control the excitation signal of the alternator?
I've never changed that, but the description on the table reads the following,
[ECM] 44084 - Desired Voltage (Low): Desired system voltage when battery is low or no battery information is available.

and the table is set like this, same as the desired voltage, it seems it'll try to command the alternator to keep certain output though i don't know why we would use this for, and why it's lower at higher ambient temps... perhaps if you have things that draw more power: high power amp, lights, etc, etc, you could command the alt to output a bit more power, though is just a thought.

desired altenator voltage by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts