Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals, I just purchased a 2010 challenger RT. I was wondering what are some of my better options for tunes and what kind of results can I expect? Do most people just go with canned tunes from diablo or are you getting something more specific like going through hemifever or jay greene. This is my first newer mopar, so I'm not sure what my best options would be.

Also will the tuners disable the MDS?

Thanks for the help!

Scott

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Scott. I'll let some V8 owners answer your questions, but if you reduce the physical size of your avatar, it will flip right side up ;) Just make it 300x300 for instance. A Guy

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I just purchased a 2010 challenger RT. I was wondering what are some of my better options for tunes and what kind of results can I expect? Do most people just go with canned tunes from diablo or are you getting something more specific like going through hemifever or jay greene. This is my first newer mopar, so I'm not sure what my best options would be.

Thanks for the help!

Scott

Probably the easiest option is to get a Diablo tuner and have a tuner provide you a custom tune. You can disable MDS within the tuner; however a custom tune will get you a little more power and better drive-ability.

I like Jay Greene. He is a really nice guy and he gave me some good advice when I first started tuning my car. He is sharp on Hemi's.

Hemifever is solid as well.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Another vote for a Diablo tuner and Jay Greene, you can find him on FaceBook

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,228 Posts

Thanks for the help!

Scott
I cannot speak to what most people go with, one of the canned tunes or a custom tune, when they get a DiabloSport tuner, but I'm guessing it's more common to just run the highest octane canned tune possible rather than pay for a custom tune from one of the folks who can do it. Getting a custom tune for your specific engine will yield the most performance increase over stock, but a lot of folks (myself included) are happy with the extra 15-25 HP/TQ that running the hotter canned tunes provides. Besides, getting a custom tune can always be done later on after running a canned tune(s) for a while. It's not like you have to do it right off the bat or else.

If you have 93 octane gas available locally, running the 93 octane tune will yield a noticeable increase in performance. It's not night and day, but it is definitely noticeable. If all you have is 91 octane gas available locally, you can still get a noticeable increase in performance from the 91 octane canned tune, but it won't be quite as much as the 93 obviously. Either way, the canned tunes' reduction in the pre-programmed torque management is also a plus for running the canned tunes, no matter which one is chosen.

Since you have a 2010, one of the old Predator models (u7135) from DiabloSport would be relatively cheap to buy (secondhand only most likely), assuming you can find one for sale from someone. Beyond that, you'll likely have to go with their newest i2 tuner (DiabloSport), which is definitely not cheap, but if your budget allows for it, a tuner is a great way to take the next step in modding these cars, not to mention see how the car reacts to various other mods you might bolt on (via datalogging). It is for that reason that I always recommend a tuner if one can be afforded - if for no other reason than the datalogging alone.

And yes, you can disable the MDS on the V8 automatics with a tuner like what DiabloSport offers.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,275 Posts
When I had my 2010 R/T I had good results running the Diablo tunes. I found for street use the 91 octane canned tune ran great while running 93 octane pump gas. If I was going to the track I would step it up to the 93 tune and add a shot of Torco to the gas or a bit of race fuel. Pump gas can be a bit suspect as to their octane rating and my best results seemed to come by running a bit higher octane fuel than the tune called for.

I also modified the canned tune by increasing shift firmness, increasing throttle boost and when racing increasing the shift point and rev limiter. Lot's of things you can do with the tuner, I'd suggest just running the canned tunes for a while and learning to operate it and make adjustments to it before going with a custom tune. Then if you feel the need you can always go with a custom tune.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,124 Posts
Is the car stock or does it have a cat back exhaust and cold air intake? A used Diablo Predator has tunes for with or without a CAI. Mine is set to the 91 CAI tune, MDS off, and I run 93 gas. Run a tank of 87 all stock, then run a tank of 93 with the tune.... it's hard to go back to stock!!

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I'd go with a Diablosport tuner (Predator, Intune, Trinity, etc) and get a custom tune from Hemifever. Ran his tune on both my 2010 R/T and now my 2015 Scat Pack and it really woke it up. Better 60ft times, better ET's, higher trap speed over the stock tune. The canned tunes are okay, but IMO they leave some power on the table. A custom tune can also shut off MDS, reduce torque management, and do a few other things over what a canned tune provides. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,228 Posts
What if...

Welcome to Challengertalk Scott. I'll let some V8 owners answer your questions, but *if you reduce the physical size of your avatar, it will flip right side up * Just make it 300x300 for instance. A Guy
What if he's in Australia, New Zealand or somewhere like that? There'd be no need to "flip [the avatar] right side up", right?

:confused:

Right?!?!

:scratchhead:

:grinbiginvert: :icon_biggrin: :grinbiginvert: :laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts