Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry to bother you guys and gals, but my tuner had issues getting rid of the limiter that occurs in neutral/park when tuning my car. It is unlocked, and custom tuned. he said he wasnt sure how to delete this feature. I know FCA put it in to save from overrevving, but how do you increase it from like 2500 or 3k to a more respectable level like 4500 or 5k? Thanks. it just sounds ridiculous having headers and custom exhaust and cant rev over 3k on my best day!

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
I have heard that some of the mapping in the 2021s has been changed and is not well defined by the available tuning software.

In my 2016 there is a clearly defined table where this can be raised using HP Tuners. Some of the 2015+ manual transmission vehicles have had issues with the rev limiter definitions being incorrect.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Hi sorry to bother you guys and gals, but my tuner had issues getting rid of the limiter that occurs in neutral/park when tuning my car. It is unlocked, and custom tuned. he said he wasnt sure how to delete this feature. I know FCA put it in to save from overrevving, but how do you increase it from like 2500 or 3k to a more respectable level like 4500 or 5k? Thanks. it just sounds ridiculous having headers and custom exhaust and cant rev over 3k on my best day!
FCA probably had a good reason to limit the RPMs when the transmission is in P/N. You can override this but you may regret doing so.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
FCA probably had a good reason to limit the RPMs when the transmission is in P/N. You can override this but you may regret doing so.
Yes, it's emissions related. It is common to match the P/N limiter to the D limiter.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Yes, it's emissions related. It is common to match the P/N limiter to the D limiter.
Do not think limiting RPMs with the automatic in P/N is an emissions concern. Not like revving the engine in P/N is part of the emissions test. If I had to guess I'd say it is to limit hydraulic pressure the transmission can develop being in P/N vs. D.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
Do not think limiting RPMs with the automatic in P/N is an emissions concern. Not like revving the engine in P/N is part of the emissions test. If I had to guess I'd say it is to limit hydraulic pressure the transmission can develop being in P/N vs. D.
No, you are wrong. It's the same reason they program in rev-hang.

You can log transmission pressure in P or N and rev it up if you are curious about it.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
Since you have HP Tuners, go into your file with VCM Suite and look at table 44482. See what it's set to.

Stock is probably 3800rpm for the whole table.

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much!!! I will pass this to my tuner as he said he couldnt figure it out. We will be doing the 426 eventually so will tell him this.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
Thank you so much!!! I will pass this to my tuner as he said he couldnt figure it out. We will be doing the 426 eventually so will tell him this.
Well, as I said above, HP Tuners file definitions for 2021s may be sketchy. That could be what you're tuner is having problems with.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
No, you are wrong. It's the same reason they program in rev-hang.

You can log transmission pressure in P or N and rev it up if you are curious about it.
Is the manual transmission equipped car's engine also rev limited when in neutral? I have one but I have never felt the urge to rev it very high in neutral.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
Is the manual transmission equipped car's engine also rev limited when in neutral? I have one but I have never felt the urge to rev it very high in neutral.
Try it and find out! But, how does the PCM know where the shift lever is???

Maybe it's there to prevent a 5,000 rpm neutral drop.
That would be a negative. The TCM won't allow you out of P or N over a certain RPM, just like if you try to upshift at too low of an rpm or downshift at too high of an rpm or shift to park or reverse on the highway - it won't allow it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,781 Posts
Manual trans is not rev limited in neutral...if it were you would not be able to go passed the ~4000rpm rev limit in gear. On challengers there is no gear sensor...just clutch sensor which is really only used as a failsafe so the engine cannot be started in gear. On my 2013 JGC 5.7 I was able to bump up the P/N rev limit via HP tuners...don't have to on my M6 challenger. BTW increasing the P/N rev on an auto actually has a long hang time before RPMs goes back to idle, making it not sound very appealing. Even the manuals suffer from this and getting rid of that hang or delay completely is something (at least I am not aware of) can be done.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,781 Posts
Wonder if THATs why our shift lights aren't working.
Shift light works on SP...not on RT. The SP manuals have the same clutch sensor as the RT and also do not have a gear sensor like the RT. IMO it is more to do with either the cluster or BCM programming.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack Wide Body Shaker M6
39 Posts
Shift light works on SP...not on RT. The SP manuals have the same clutch sensor as the RT and also do not have a gear sensor like the RT. IMO it is more to do with either the cluster or BCM programming.
Shift light does not work on any 2021 Scat Pack WB 6M. Dodge is "looking in to the issue".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts