Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 R/T and I purchased Long tube headers and a new exhaust kit. I was told I will need a "tune". What does my installer have to do to "tune" my vehicle? Can this be done with a Diablo Predator tuner? Does my vehicle have to be run on a dyno? I understand that the Long tube headers will throw a code and will cause the check engine light to come on. Kind of new to this level of upgrades so I apologize if my questions sound dumb.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I have a 2012 R/T and I purchased Long tube headers and a new exhaust kit. I was told I will need a "tune". What does my installer have to do to "tune" my vehicle? Can this be done with a Diablo Predator tuner? Does my vehicle have to be run on a dyno? I understand that the Long tube headers will throw a code and will cause the check engine light to come on. Kind of new to this level of upgrades so I apologize if my questions sound dumb.

Rear O2 sensors will need to be modified with the long tubes unless you get anti foulers. Wide-open throttle air fuel will need to be adjusted.

You need an inTune device or Trinity from diablosport.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
724 Posts
You will need a custom dyno tune with the headers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok so I talked to my local shop. They mostly work on GM products (Corvettes, Camaros, CTS-V's and G8's) they said that can't dyno tune it unless I get a copy of the tune? I think because they don't have Chrysler/Mopar tune data in their dyno computer? The tune gets loaded on their dyno computer system and also on a hand held tuner? So I should also purchase a Diablomotorsports tuner? I can store the tune on the unit? I notice there is two units available for my car. Which one is recommended?

again sorry if my questions sound simple. I am new to this "tunning" and want to do my research.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
For a custom tune you will need to purchase a tuner. Diablo InTune or Trinity are the most popular.

As far as tune quality they are exactly the same but the Trinity is a better data logger as it will show you real time data.

If you are just looking to tune it and be done than the InTune is the better deal.

The good thing about having your own tuner is that you can have a custom tune done over email which is usually much cheaper than a dyno tune.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Ok so I talked to my local shop. They mostly work on GM products (Corvettes, Camaros, CTS-V's and G8's) they said that can't dyno tune it unless I get a copy of the tune? I think because they don't have Chrysler/Mopar tune data in their dyno computer? The tune gets loaded on their dyno computer system and also on a hand held tuner? So I should also purchase a Diablomotorsports tuner? I can store the tune on the unit? I notice there is two units available for my car. Which one is recommended?

again sorry if my questions sound simple. I am new to this "tunning" and want to do my research.
Your tuner will need CMR tuning capabilities (used to write the code) and you will need a tuner (Intune or Trinity) to load the custom tune into your ECU. So unless your shop is going to spring for the CMR tuning capabilities, I would go with some of the other tuners listed by others. If you don't get a custom tune, you will only be able to make changes at WOT, the custom tune will have tweaks for WOT & partial throttle where 99% of your driving is done.
Your custom tune will need to turn off the rear 02s and richen up your partial throttle a bit so you're not too lean during normal driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts