Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the diablo tuners, im probably going with the I3. The places i have called have said i need a unlocked pcm, but on the website all their is modified pcms.
Is their a difference? or is that how diablotuners website just labels unlocked pcms?
If it helps, i have a challenger T/A 2017 5.7
Thank you all, and i looked in the forum but i could not find this question anywhere
Edit- Also, can the diablo I3 work as a data logger or will i have to purchase something seperate as a data logger?

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,299 Posts
I've been looking at the diablo tuners, im probably going with the I3. The places i have called have said i need a unlocked pcm, but on the website all their is modified pcms.
Is their a difference? or is that how diablotuners website just labels unlocked pcms?
If it helps, i have a challenger T/A 2017 5.7
Thank you all, and i looked in the forum but i could not find this question anywhere
Edit- Also, can the diablo I3 work as a data logger or will i have to purchase something seperate as a data logger?
Diablos 'modified' pcm's are unlocked. thats the only way to add a tune to 2015 & later, is to unlock them.
You can send them yours or buy one of thiers so you have your oem unit - just in case. A call to them may clear up some of your questions.
I need to note:
once you add/swap in an unlocked pcm, the car will throw a P1400 code which does not toss on your check engine light or throw up any red flags.
Its a basic code indicating there is a calibration issue between components. the calibration issue is now the PCM mileage does not match the vehicles actual mileage. This code becomes deeply inbedded in several spots on the car, including the BCM and cannot be removed and will always be there henceforth.
It can be seen by any dodge dealer/service tech and they will instantly know the car has been hacked/tuned. This can have a negative effect on any existing warranty coverage, future resale, etc.
just a heads up.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diablos 'modified' pcm's are unlocked. thats the only way to add a tune to 2015 & later, is to unlock them.
You can send them yours or buy one of thiers so you have your oem unit - just in case. A call to them may clear up some of your questions.
I need to note:
once you add/swap in an unlocked pcm, the car will throw a P1400 code which does not toss on your check engine light or throw up any red flags.
Its a basic code indicating there is a calibration issue between components. the calibration issue is now the PCM mileage does not match the vehicles actual mileage. This code becomes deeply inbedded in several spots on the car, including the BCM and cannot be removed and will always be there henceforth.
It can be seen by any dodge dealer/service tech and they will instantly know the car has been hacked/tuned. This can have a negative effect on any existing warranty coverage, future resale, etc.
just a heads up.
I'm getting long tube headers anyways, im getting the trinity in hopes that i can do the tune for long tubes without paying someone so warranty is gone there soon haha
Thank you for the heads up!

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
908 Posts
I'm getting long tube headers anyways, im getting the trinity in hopes that i can do the tune for long tubes without paying someone so warranty is gone there soon haha
Trinity T2 is more versatile than the I3 but neither is a complete user tuning platform. While the T2 does allow for adjustment of several parameters, it still requires a tune file supplied by a tuner such as Jay Greene or Hemifever.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
Just a heads up, Diablosport is very limited in tuning capabilities when compared to other tuners like HP tuners. For example, you cannot deactivate downstream O2 sensors if you go catless or adjust the fuel transport delay to compensate for the new location of the upstream O2 sensors. Also, only WOT fueling and spark can be adjusted...and you can't adjust the pedal voltage for when power enrichment kicks in. Where DS shines is its ease of use, it comes with canned tunes and it is compact (HP tuners is just an interface and requires laptop to read/write tunes and log data). If you plan on doing all your own tuning...HP tuners is a better option. I had a Diablosport Trinity that quickly outgrew my tuning desires which is why I made the switch to HP tuners.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
^^^^^^^ As always Chally Tatum hit the nail on the head. HPT, is the more complete tuning package for the money.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a heads up, Diablosport is very limited in tuning capabilities when compared to other tuners like HP tuners. For example, you cannot deactivate downstream O2 sensors if you go catless or adjust the fuel transport delay to compensate for the new location of the upstream O2 sensors. Also, only WOT fueling and spark can be adjusted...and you can't adjust the pedal voltage for when power enrichment kicks in. Where DS shines is its ease of use, it comes with canned tunes and it is compact (HP tuners is just an interface and requires laptop to read/write tunes and log data). If you plan on doing all your own tuning...HP tuners is a better option. I had a Diablosport Trinity that quickly outgrew my tuning desires which is why I made the switch to HP tuners.
Thank you, can you suggest any HP tuner models that would be the best? I'm trying to learn how to tune, so it will be a little project. I'm unsure of what i have to switch for tuning for long tubes and catless pipes, any suggestions / tips are appreciated very much haha
Thank you all!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
Thank you, can you suggest any HP tuner models that would be the best? I'm trying to learn how to tune, so it will be a little project. I'm unsure of what i have to switch for tuning for long tubes and catless pipes, any suggestions / tips are appreciated very much haha
Thank you all!
So HP tuners has 2 versions:

- standard interface that allows you to read/write/log - $299

- pro feature which allows you to also log analog signals (i.e. wideband, fuel pressure sensor etc..) and standalone data logging for other vehicle models (not available on dodge vehicles) - $549

Then you need to purchase credits ($49.99 per credit). To tune the PCM it requires 2 credits, to tune an A8 TCM I think it is 4 credits. Credits are only needed to write a tune to a vehicle Once you apply the credits to a vehicle you get unlimited tune writing capabilities but for that vehicle only...HP tuners essentially remember the VIN.

You will also need the PCM or TCM unlocked. I believe for the PCM it is $250...not sure about TCM (I have a manual so never paid attention).

If you go with the standard interface and you only plan to tune the PCM you are looking at $649. I think you still can log AFR if you use an AEM wideband that interfaces with the OBDII and uses the CAN bus to stream data .
https://www.hptuners.com/product/aem-x-series-obdii-wideband-afr-controller-gauge/

If you go with the pro interface and plan on tuning the PCM and TCM you are looking at ~$1100+TCM unlock.

Now, don't expect to buy HP tuners and hit the ground running. There is a significant learning curve. My suggestion is you read the links in this post and become a member of the HP tuners forum so you can ask questions if you get stuck.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...he-basic-steps&p=525502&viewfull=1#post525502

I highly recommend you have a bung installed in the LT headers so you can install a wideband O2 sensor which will allow you to tune WOT fueling accurately. This should be a minimum requirement regardless if you go with DS or HP tuners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts