Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a long shot, but does anyone know if there's any way to fine tune the individual suspension modes in 15+ SRTs? I would love to make street mode even softer somehow. I assume the suspension software would need to be reprogrammed...

I attempted contacting Bilstein with no luck, they said go to SRT, who copy and pasted the manual... lol

·
Registered
15,044 Posts
You can change the front springs to the standard R/T springs, the SRT uses the R/T with STP front springs and they are stiffer, downside is the new springs will put the front end about an inch higher.

Don't think there is any way to reprogram the shocks which is the only difference in the SRT adjustable suspension.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: CH1GG5

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can change the front springs to the standard R/T springs, the SRT uses the R/T with STP front springs and they are stiffer, downside is the new springs will put the front end about an inch higher.

Don't think there is any way to reprogram the shocks which is the only difference in the SRT adjustable suspension.

Can you really use R/T springs and keep the SRT suspension modes? I would certainly be good with an inch more clearance

·
Registered
15,044 Posts
Can you really use R/T springs and keep the SRT suspension modes? I would certainly be good with an inch more clearance
Never done it but should be able too, or maybe look into the SRT Charger, it uses a softer spring rate but not sure by how much.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Care to elaborate? :)
If your car isn't 1cm off the ground, you disappoint all of your ancestors and your offspring will not survive the winter.

Or was that for something else...? I forget.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
It can be done - the SRT modes just affect the valving on the struts shocks. You'd go with the standard R/T springs, not the STP versions.

The base R/T suspension (springs) are a much softer rate, so another side affect may be a bit more body roll, but the SRT shocks set in Sport or Track would address some of that, if you wanted to.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Care to elaborate? :)
Speechless, never heard of anyone wanting to raise a Challenger before, could be an interesting experiment though, if you go through with it don't forget to update us and of course lots of pics!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your car isn't 1cm off the ground, you disappoint all of your ancestors and your offspring will not survive the winter.

Or was that for something else...? I forget.
lol! I think you have it right! Although if my Challenger is too low IT won't survive the winter either :dunno:

It can be done - the SRT modes just affect the valving on the struts shocks. You'd go with the standard R/T springs, not the STP versions.

The base R/T suspension (springs) are a much softer rate, so another side affect may be a bit more body roll, but the SRT shocks set in Sport or Track would address some of that, if you wanted to.
This is very interesting. I appreciate everyone's input. I did not think it would be possible to swap springs without changing out the entire suspension to RT and lose the adaptive struts. Do the Scat Packs use their own spring rate as well?

Speechless, never heard of anyone wanting to raise a Challenger before, could be an interesting experiment though, if you go through with it don't forget to update us and of course lots of pics!
Yeah... I haven't had much luck getting anywhere on it. My goal has been to raise the front a half inch or so, to eliminate the rake (I like a balanced look, no rake). And I would prefer to do it and gain a little more clearance on the front than dropping the back and losing clearance. It is my dd so I like to be able to enter/exit driveways and gas stations without extra effort :) Plus I'm going to try and take this thing through some snow this winter >:) It's a muscle car after all... I want to be able to bomb down dirt roads and not have to worry about bottoming out. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and in some cases a cup of cringe.

I'll post pics as always! I did when I put the taller 295 tires on all 4 corners, they didn't fit so well.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
This is very interesting. I appreciate everyone's input. I did not think it would be possible to swap springs without changing out the entire suspension to RT and lose the adaptive struts. Do the Scat Packs use their own spring rate as well?

Yeah... I haven't had much luck getting anywhere on it. My goal has been to raise the front a half inch or so, to eliminate the rake (I like a balanced look, no rake). And I would prefer to do it and gain a little more clearance on the front than dropping the back and losing clearance. It is my dd so I like to be able to enter/exit driveways and gas stations without extra effort :) Plus I'm going to try and take this thing through some snow this winter >:) It's a muscle car after all... I want to be able to bomb down dirt roads and not have to worry about bottoming out. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and in some cases a cup of cringe.

I'll post pics as always! I did when I put the taller 295 tires on all 4 corners, they didn't fit so well.
The Scat Packs likely use the same springs as the SRT 392. At least they are the same as the '11 SRT392 and '13/'14 Core. (looking up part #s would confirm this). '12 is the first year when SRT 392 models went to multi mode shocks.

Scat Packs have a slight rake as the rear sits higher as well.

The Scat Packs sit lower height wise than the standard R/T suspension.

The springs and struts / shocks can be intermixed. The difference is the SRT 3-mode shocks have the solenoid and their related wiring that operates them.

FWIW, an SRT 3 mode could be physically installed on the other models, you just don't have the wiring or the modules that operate the valves.

·
Registered
15,044 Posts
Spring codes for Scat Pack different than SRT, looks like same ride height as SRT/STP in front but guessing a little stiffer.

I think you'd be alright with the base R/T springs, those base cars about an inch or so higher than STP but ride nice, stiffen up the shocks with Sport or Track Mode and the car will still handle.

The GT AWD cars also sit up a little to help with the ride and getting thru the snow.

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I will be tryin some R/T springs out when I get my winter rims/tires installed! Those ride heights look about right to me, I remember hearing that the scat packs were in between the RT and SRT ride height and that the Hellcat was even a bit lower than the rest.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I think I will be tryin some R/T springs out when I get my winter rims/tires installed! Those ride heights look about right to me, I remember hearing that the scat packs were in between the RT and SRT ride height and that the Hellcat was even a bit lower than the rest.
The 'Cat is also the heaviest of the lot. 4,400# and on the lighter side of spectrum of 392 equipped models is the Scat Pack @ 4,200#

·
Registered
227 Posts
I sold my Scat Pack when I bought the SRT. I know the individual who bought my old car. He brought it over about a month ago.

I was surprised when I measured the front fender heights on both cars. The SP was 1/2" lower then the HC. Both 2016's with under 7,500 miles on them.

So be careful:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sold my Scat Pack when I bought the SRT. I know the individual who bought my old car. He brought it over about a month ago.

I was surprised when I measured the front fender heights on both cars. The SP was 1/2" lower then the HC. Both 2016's with under 7,500 miles on them.

So be careful:)
That's very interesting... With the same miles one wouldn't think the springs have settled any different.

I know after 40k miles my front seemed lower than normal, I brought it to the Dodge dealer and lined it up next to a cat they had there, the new cat with fresh springs sat about 0.5" higher than my SRT. So I got a fresh set of springs for the front, brought it up half inch right after install. I think they have settled a bit but it is still better than they were on the old ones.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RT springs on order! Going to try and get them installed when they do the winter wheels too. Will post back

Reactions: Fawls

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice on this one guys! Here's a quick copy/pasta from my first impressions that I posted over at hellcatorg:

Well... here it is!

Spring swap was a succes. Plug & Play, no modifications necessary (other than alignment of course). I haven't actually gotten the ruler out to measure clearance but I would guess its about an inch at least. Did not change the height between the tire and the upper control arm by much, but seems like there is a sliver more room than before.

Now, driving. As you can see I changed a lot at once, so it's hard to say what characteristics can be attributed to what. Haven't gotten much seat time but I'll give some quick initial impressions. Definitely softer, I can cruise in and out of gas stations swiftly, or over potholes without the jarring sensation. You can tell it is softer in the corners as well. Interestingly enough, the steering feels much lighter. I do not know what caused this but it would probably be my biggest complaint if I have any at all. I've never actually driven a sedan with winter tires before so I don't know how big of a role that plays... if anyone has insight here I'd be happy to listen.

Sport and Track modes still work of course. With the steering so much lighter I actually set default the steering setting to track, used to be sport. Track mode not quite as hard as it used to be, but still certainly very stiff, does help with cornering for sure. Hard cornering not what it used to be, more roll, track mode feels somewhat uneasy unless the road is perfect. I think a lot of this is a result of the thicker sidewall and narrower tread on the 18s in the back. Makes it less predictable.

Pics attached, right after install and also with the rims dipped, helped the look a lot. But they do appear much smaller than I had pictured them in my head. I may get some spacers for the rear to bring the narrower tires back out OR try the stock 20's with the same 275/40/20 back there as I still don't know if I am sold with the handling characteristics of the 245/55/20s and I actually like how meaty the DM-V2s look. I think any negatives are mostly a result of those 18s, not the suspension, but I can't be sure.

Overall, definitely happy with it. Can't wait to see how it does when we get some more snow. Feels much more powerful being able to fly over terrain now without clenching and waiting for the scrapes. The softer ride is sure nice when cruising too.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts
I like the last pic...clean car :)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts