Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am VERY new to this so please be gentle!

I just got a 2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392
I have never owned a new car that was like this (fast).
I was told by friends and family i should get a tune, but i am hesitant because of the warranty.
I have checked this forum and well as youtube and other forums, and it seams that i should not tune the car because of the PCM and Odometer(cluster) wont match!
Question time: Can i switch out both, and save the old pcm and the current cluster, install new ones and when its time to take it into the dealer switch both back so that the millage can match?

·
Registered
954 Posts

Question time: Can i switch out both, and save the old pcm and the current cluster, install new ones and when its time to take it into the dealer switch both back so that the millage can match?
No. As soon as you switch out PCMs, a P1400 code will post in the BCM , that is un removable. The dealers will see this.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
I have never seen the code P1400 on my 2015 RT+ but the BCM seems to detect that I have an aftermarket tune. There is a guy on HP tuners that said he can clear this but that is just dishonest. Just wait for your warranty to expire and then tinker with it.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

I just got a 2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392
I have never owned a new car that was like this (fast).
I was told by friends and family i should get a tune, but i am hesitant because of the warranty.
I have checked this forum and well as youtube and other forums, and it seams that i should not tune the car because of the PCM and Odometer(cluster) wont match!
Essentially you are seeking advice on how to defraud the dealer and Dodge. Are you sure this is what you want to do?

Pretty sure Dodge has thought this through and would detect the attempt to defraud it.

You just got the car. It is by your admission the fastest car you have ever owned.

If in the short time you have owned the car if you have already become accustom to the power and feel a genuine need for more power I dare say any mod you do for more power will have you soon seeking more.

My advice is get rid of the car and buy a Hellcat/RE. Or a top fuel dragster. Or a jet. Or a rocket ship. Or develop a warp drive engine capable of faster than light speed travel...

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have never seen the code P1400 on my 2015 RT+ but the BCM seems to detect that I have an aftermarket tune. There is a guy on HP tuners that said he can clear this but that is just dishonest. Just wait for your warranty to expire and then tinker with it.

View attachment 991057
Just google the P1400 code, it pops up frequently.

Direct verbiage from Slidd's post on a different forum. Scat pack stage warning

"
P1400-AFTERMARKET CALIBRATION DETECTED/WARRANTY COVERAGE CONFIRMATION REQUIRED

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

With the ignition on.
Battery voltage greater than 10.0 volts.

Set Conditions:

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software is unauthorized and does not meet factory OEM specifications.

An authorized Mopar or Scat Pak Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has been installed.

Default Actions:

This is a non MIL fault.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

PCM HAS BEEN PROGRAMMED WITH UNAUTHORIZED OR AFTERMARKET SOFTWARE

AN AUTHORIZED MOPAR OR SCAT PAK POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) HAS BEEN INSTALLED

Diagnostic Test

DETERMINE IF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) OR SOFTWARE IS FACTORY AUTHORIZED"

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
Just google the P1400 code, it pops up frequently.

Direct verbiage from Slidd's post on a different forum. Scat pack stage warning

"
P1400-AFTERMARKET CALIBRATION DETECTED/WARRANTY COVERAGE CONFIRMATION REQUIRED

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

With the ignition on.
Battery voltage greater than 10.0 volts.

Set Conditions:

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software is unauthorized and does not meet factory OEM specifications.

An authorized Mopar or Scat Pak Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has been installed.

Default Actions:

This is a non MIL fault.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

PCM HAS BEEN PROGRAMMED WITH UNAUTHORIZED OR AFTERMARKET SOFTWARE

AN AUTHORIZED MOPAR OR SCAT PAK POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) HAS BEEN INSTALLED

Diagnostic Test

DETERMINE IF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) OR SOFTWARE IS FACTORY AUTHORIZED"
I know of the code and the hell cat guys seem to see it but on my 2015 RT+ I do not see any P1400 code BUT a read of the BCM with alfaOBD (image I posted earlier) and it appears that it can detect an aftermarket PCM/tune. I just don't see a P1400 with my launch OBD scanner, HP tuners or AlfaOBD.

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
It’s already plenty fast enough to kill you, do you really need it faster?
Two of my sons friends recently wrecked in a Corvette at 179 mph and I have no idea how they were already out of it and walking afterward when the police arrived. They also like many dumb sh*ts do these days were video taping this event and included a shot of the speedometer then uploaded it to the web. Guess which 2 IDIOTS idiots got arrested?
Drive and enjoy the car and remember you’re not invincible and we are also out on the roads along with you. Stay safe.

Clint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for answering my question! this was just a question because i was told to do so from "my friends and family " as i stated in my question. i am plenty happy with my car the way it is. i was just doing research. and i will have to agree with
Rockster and Yellow Jacket 2012 i dont need it faster.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
693 Posts
Stay away from those friends and family...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,953 Posts
Wait until they do it to their new Scat Pack first ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
I'll be that guy.

If you swap the PCM or have it unlocked, it may or may not set the P1400 code. Some do, some don't. Nobody seems to know why.

The dealer can see how many times the PCM has been flashed and also look at their records to see how many times FCA flashed it. If they don't match..... it's a much bigger issue than mileage mismatch.

That being said, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, it may not matter. Also, it would be hard to argue a tune has something to do with a failing water pump or a window switch, etc.

The safe bet is don't tune it if you are concerned about warranty. There really is not a lot of performance to be gained by a tune on a stock or even mild bolt-on 392. (I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers - don't care). The cars are extremely traction limited as-is on the street. If you plan to run dedicated drag tires and take it to the track, you may see (noticeable) benefits from a tune, particularly with fuels other than 93 pump gas.

Tires are a much better use of money than any other mod. Then maybe a small 50-75hp shot of nitrous which would not require a tune. Both parts are easy enough to remove before taking it into the dealer (nitrous may leave traces in the engine oil). But do watch for rubber buildup above the rear resonators on the floor pan :censored:.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
188 Posts
...I just got a 2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392...
Congrats! Got any details to share about the car? Did you buy off the lot, special order, shop around extensively, etc? Given the current virus situation, how did that change the buying process? Was the dealer more willing to negotiate than previously?

Thanks,
-Eric

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
188 Posts
I am more curious of how the test drive went...does the salesman still sit next to you? :unsure:
I did a walk-up to a 2011 Challenger spotted on a Chevy dealer's used car lot on Saturday. Sales lady came out and stayed the required distance away. She said they are not riding along on test drives any more, they just hand over the keys and hope you come back. Then they do the interior wipe down. The car was a poser - SRT badges on a V6 - so I wasn't interested in a test drive.

This was at a small town country dealership. I would be surprised if the big city boys on auto-row are just handing over the keys in the same way. Although they could be using some variant of the "Theft Retrieval System" shown at around 2:00 into this video.

-Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts