Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to open a thread where everyone who tunes their own car with HP can relay their tips, tricks and findings if they so desire.

The pool of experienced Mopar tuners who are willing to help you is slim... but growing slowly. We can help each other through our own trials and tribulations.

The key will be to post what you are trying to fix and what worked or didn't.

I'm by far not an expert, but I will help if I can.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will start....

I've been chasing (2) minor issues on my car...

1. Hard "Hot" start - every so often the car would fail to crank on the first try when the ECT was above 140*. I have been reducing fuel from the Startup Injector PW table above 100* ECT. I've also added about 20% more startup airflow above 150* ECT.

Knock on wood, I think I have resolved the issue by making these changes.

2. I had a tip in "thud" that would happen during Off to On throttle transitions while cruising with light throttle. Looking at the logs, I noticed timing was going negative while off throttle (1,500 rpm's, 30 KPA range). It would then jump to 20* when back on throttle. I was trying to figure out what was causing the big drop in timing.

I figured out it was DFCO causing the timing drop when the fuel was cut. I raised the DFCO enable temperature to 376*, essentially disabling DFCO. This fixed the problem and Off to On transitions are now smooth.

On a side note, it will also allow me to clean up the fueling in the bottom pulse widths.

·
Registered
561 Posts
This is hopefully going to be a great thread. I started a thread over on lx when I made the switch to Hp although o don’t have any tuning experience . As much as I wanted to dive right in ,knowledge and time has eluded me. I’m hoping more and more chime in so we can all learn here.
I have a Hemifever header and 180stat tune that I copied over to Hp after some trial and error. Learned how to play with the cel’s and such. But I haven’t even had the chance to log any data. I did hook up a plx wideband so I can get up to a good start.
I have an Arrington 88mm that I’d like to accommodate for in the tune as well. Also following your build k&j. I have Arrington ported heads with upgraded springs in my garage. Waiting on funds for a cam. I have hardened push rods coming and looking/waiting for a deal on a set of hellcat lifters. All that said , I’d really like to learn a LOT more about tuning as I go. I’ll most likely go to Aj after the install for a dyno tune , but seeing all the tweaking you’ve been doing has got me really encouraged about learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
So in the meantime , any advice about tuning for the bigger Tb would be fun to play with...

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Duplicated.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Interesting. I'm tempted to get the HP tuner. Currently running a dyno tune on my 2011 SRT and a Diablo 93 tune on the 2010 R/T.

I have some issues I'd like to tune out - when the SRT gets warm, the idle drops too low and it "flashes" the RPMs. Not fun if you don't have your foot on the brake. I think I may also have that off throtte to on throttle issue with the timing.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So in the meantime , any advice about tuning for the bigger Tb would be fun to play with...

Here is the thing with TB flow values. You would think you would increase the numbers for the bigger TB; however the opposite is true. Above 0.5 volts, you actually want to decrease them. This will signal the PCM that the TB is actually smaller and cause it to open slightly more and improve throttle response.

There are 3 tables to adjust... the sonic table, large and small table. I have attached my values. They should work fine for a stock vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Interesting. I'm tempted to get the HP tuner. Currently running a dyno tune on my 2011 SRT and a Diablo 93 tune on the 2010 R/T.

I have some issues I'd like to tune out - when the SRT gets warm, the idle drops too low and it "flashes" the RPMs. Not fun if you don't have your foot on the brake. I think I may also have that off throtte to on throttle issue with the timing.
Here would be your tables for idle.

It is very important to keep your minimum set point (over on the right side) lower than your base and elevated base. You will get surging issues otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Here is the thing with TB flow values. You would think you would increase the numbers for the bigger TB; however the opposite is true. Above 0.5 volts, you actually want to decrease them. This will signal the PCM that the TB is actually smaller and cause it to open slightly more and improve throttle response.

There are 3 tables to adjust... the sonic table, large and small table. I have attached my values. They should work fine for a stock vehicle.

Ok , so I copied over the airflow table here’s a before shot

But I notice my other tables don’t transfer the same. Here’s a shot , how do I get my numbers on the left to match yours?

On the sonic flow chart , the voltage matches mine , but as you can see , the mass airflow numbers don’t read the same. ???
But my settings are damn near identical to yours , just for different lb/hr..?.? Hmmmm...

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
I wanted to open a thread where everyone who tunes their own car with HP can relay their tips, tricks and findings if they so desire.

The pool of experienced Mopar tuners who are willing to help you is slim... but growing slowly. We can help each other through our own trials and tribulations.
I'm a do it yourself kind of guy, feel inferior if I need to have someone else do things for me. But when I decided to pursue tuning I realized I had neither the knowledge, skills or support to do it myself. :crying: For these reasons and the reasons you stated I went with Diablo and Hemifever. The results have been good and I have nothing to complain about except I didn't do it myself. Although I probably won't be contributing anything of value in the near future I will be following this thread closely in hopes that someday I can understand, contribute, and tune my own car with HP Tuners.

Thanks so much for starting this thread.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,455 Posts
:zlurking:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok , so I copied over the airflow table here’s a before shot

But I notice my other tables don’t transfer the same. Here’s a shot , how do I get my numbers on the left to match yours?

On the sonic flow chart , the voltage matches mine , but as you can see , the mass airflow numbers don’t read the same. ???
But my settings are damn near identical to yours , just for different lb/hr..?.? Hmmmm...
If I understand correctly,

Right click the row area to access the row table. You should be able to make the required edits.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lets talk histograms for the HP Scanner...

Here are three that I find to be very important.

If you have ANN on, Inj. Pulse Width vs. Fuel Mass will be important to you.

This will allow you to dial in your injector pulse widths vs your STFT's + LTFT's.

If you have ANN off, it will be ideal to have a wideband installed. With a wideband, you can monitor EQ Error vs your Fuel Mass and you can monitor EQ Error vs your VE table.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your just getting started or are thinking about it......

There are several very easy areas that you can start with...

MDS, idle, fan settings, codes, active exhaust.... none of these will destroy your car and will let you get comfortable with the car.

Then... you can step up to tuning your Fuel Mass vs your injectors. Once you are happy with that, you can tweak the timing a little and monitor knock.

If you are intimidated to start.... trust me, if you take baby steps you WILL NOT blow your car up or do something that can't be corrected.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts