Dodge Challenger Forum banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
882 Posts
what stall would you recommend? I can't find my Time slips (Date and Time for DA Calcs)
Stock. The converter is NOT your problem.

Traction IS. You need a better track or better wheel/tire combo or something. Hitting the tires HARDER will just slow the car down more.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Stock. The converter is NOT your problem.

Traction IS. You need a better track or better wheel/tire combo or something. Hitting the tires HARDER will just slow the car down more.
my drag radials do not spin, when the car launches, even using launch control, the RPMs climb slowly until about 3.5k and then it throws you in the seat. :D Does it on the street too. Engine speed kinda lags and then once it hits the power range it throws you in the seat. Love the sound of it shifting at 6k+ rpms.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
882 Posts
Actually he does need a higher stall converter for his cam.
If he had a NAG1, I'd agree. But he has the 8spd with a 4.71:1 first gear and most likely 3.06 final drive.

I have not ever seen an 8spd car go quicker with a higher stall converter.

If anything, change the rear to a 3.70 with limited slip.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
If he had a NAG1, I'd agree. But he has the 8spd with a 4.71:1 first gear and most likely 3.06 final drive.

I have a 3.09 with an LSD.....

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,665 Posts

No what I meant was for his cam the stock converter is tight...even the pro shop that did his work recommended going to a higher stall.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
882 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I'll be watching to see if this is the first 8spd car that goes quicker with a converter (despite what the people that sell $3000 converters will tell you).

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
882 Posts
my drag radials do not spin, when the car launches, even using launch control, the RPMs climb slowly until about 3.5k and then it throws you in the seat. :D Does it on the street too. Engine speed kinda lags and then once it hits the power range it throws you in the seat. Love the sound of it shifting at 6k+ rpms.
I thought your post said the tires spin at the line? Did you mean when trying to use launch control?

Have you simply tried disabling converter lockup in 1st gear?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I do not have the credits for transmission tuning.

hmmm slip patterns? yeah I am too ignorant in this area to mess with this. 3-4 shift and above is where it feels right on the street (Rpms not dropping too low)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
882 Posts
I do not have the credits for transmission tuning.
You will have to tune the trans with an aftermarket converter.

4 credits costs much less than a converter + labor.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,665 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I'll be watching to see if this is the first 8spd car that goes quicker with a converter (despite what the people that sell $3000 converters will tell you).
And that's why I love my manual trans...and don't try to convert me. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
882 Posts
To tune the converter lock-up - log the TCC pattern maps and then go into the proper pattern in the tune for first gear and make the whole section 10,000. The slip pattern changes depending on what shift schedule/drive mode.That will keep the converter unlocked for the entirety of 1st gear and then lockup after completing the 1-2 shift.

A hint on the TCC pattern maps is that the last digit of the map corresponds with the gear. 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, 61, etc are for first gear. 12,22,32,etc for 2nd and so-on.

Don't mess with the slip pattern maps unless you fully understand them and are willing to accept the consequences.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
To tune the converter lock-up - log the TCC pattern maps and then go into the proper pattern in the tune for first gear and make the whole section 10,000. The slip pattern changes depending on what shift schedule/drive mode.That will keep the converter unlocked for the entirety of 1st gear and then lockup after completing the 1-2 shift.

A hint on the TCC pattern maps is that the last digit of the map corresponds with the gear. 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, 61, etc are for first gear. 12,22,32,etc for 2nd and so-on.

Don't mess with the slip pattern maps unless you fully understand them and are willing to accept the consequences.
so setting it to 10,000 for 1st through 4th, it would no lock up until 5th gear correct? need to see what the lowest gear it is in when cruising at 35mph and enable lock up for that gear. Just using 35mph as that is most city streets and would not want slippage (heat) there.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,665 Posts
Speaking of trans tuning...my TTS book should be delivered on Friday. We will see if there is more info than what is already on the HP tuners forum?

181 - 200 of 204 Posts