Dodge Challenger Forum banner

201 - 204 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
891 Posts
so setting it to 10,000 for 1st through 4th, it would no lock up until 5th gear correct? need to see what the lowest gear it is in when cruising at 35mph and enable lock up for that gear. Just using 35mph as that is most city streets and would not want slippage (heat) there.
The car will accelerate more quickly with the converter LOCKED under 99.9% of circumstances so don't bother messing with any gears except first. Your shift recovery rpm from first to second will be well above stall speed with the 8spd trans.

The only exception is in first gear during a launch below the stall speed. Above converter stall speed, the converter has very little slip anyway (hence stall speed) and there is nothing really to gain, but you will have frictional losses and generate heat.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,981 Posts
So here is the real question.

What is the difference between idling at 700rpm or 3000rpm?
Wouldn't the AFR and timing settings be different than at normal idle?

yes, the braking power required to keep the vehicle from rolling. That is the problem I am having, hence the need for a higher stall speed.
The only way to keep the car from rolling while foot braking is to get a transbrake. Basically, you're overpowering the brakes (but I think that you already knew that :) ).

I also agree with Spoolboy in that I don't think that a converter is going to help you. Back in the days of the Powerglides/727/Turbo 400/etc, a converter and a cam went together like bacon and eggs, but with the newer transmissions, a converter might hurt more than help for the reason that Spoolboy stated (lower first gear) and would probably make things more traction limited.

The rear gear might not help too much if you're traction limited already. The gear is just going to get you and keep you in your powerband quicker once you're rolling.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
891 Posts
The point I'm trying to make about 700rpm or 3000rpm is that Launch Control is just a fancy word for idle.... the only difference is the amount of torque required to reach the higher rpm target.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,981 Posts
The point I'm trying to make about 700rpm or 3000rpm is that Launch Control is just a fancy word for idle.... the only difference is the amount of torque required to reach the higher rpm target.
I get your point now. I'm a little slow sometimes! ;)

201 - 204 of 204 Posts