Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
701 Posts
Thanks Ronan!

Yes, I realize there is TM in both the TCM and the PCM.

Since I am not into the PCM - may not go there for a long time - I’m just trying to firm up shifts and learn how stuff works in HP Tuners.

I may not even put a tune inro the TCM for a long while - definitely not before I understand a bunch more about what does what.

Baby steps...

My car has no significant mods - HC airbox & filter, Tazer and a diff brace.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm not dead guys... sorry for being gone for so long... I spent about a month on a big outdoor project and didn't have time to mess with the car.

I've got some good stuff coming up..

I'll have a new idle clip soon on the cam. I spent this weekend playing with the idle torques.

I have it idling with virtually zero throttle torque input.... it's all spark based.

What does this mean? It means old school lope in P/N. Achieving this effect in drive is much harder.

Basically, your idle airflow much be perfect... then you can swing the timing at idle to achieve a nice steady lope between 700-750 rpms.

It took HOURS AND HOURS to figure it all out.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
What does your target idle speed elevate table look like? My stock tune would make the car barely run when the engine was hot...sounded like a wus at start-up. I changed the table to match that of my GC and it now sounds mean on start-up...hot or cold.

BTW there is a link in HP tuners that lists some links for those that are coming up to speed with HP tuners.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?71020-New-to-dodge-tuning-and-trying-to-find-out-the-basic-steps&p=525502&viewfull=1#post525502

I also spent a lot of time comparing tunes. In fact, I converted all my tunes from Arrington, along with the 93 diablo sport tune which gave me insight as to what tables were modified. I have a log of all my emails explaining my issues which helped me understand why certain changes were made...although the throttle airflow changes are still black magic to me.
You just have to play around with the throttle tables...it is all torque based so it takes time to get it to play nice.

Here are my throttle values... also you can play with Startup air flow to make it fire harder.

With the cam, my car is very sensitive to startup airflow...to much and it won't crank consistently. It also likes a lot of fuel... I'm using Hellcat startup pulse width tables.

If you notice, my throttle body airflow numbers are really small above 1.0.... much smaller than stock 6.4L numbers. This results in a smoother transition to WOT.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,801 Posts
You just have to play around with the throttle tables...it is all torque based so it takes time to get it to play nice.

Here are my throttle values... also you can play with Startup air flow to make it fire harder.

With the cam, my car is very sensitive to startup airflow...to much and it won't crank consistently. It also likes a lot of fuel... I'm using Hellcat startup pulse width tables.

If you notice, my throttle body airflow numbers are really small above 1.0.... much smaller than stock 6.4L numbers. This results in a smoother transition to WOT.

Which injectors are you running on that Beast?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
So if a person like myself wanted to learn this
Is is possible to take a tune in my car on diablo software and convert it to this and then play with it and see what does what?
I have a feeling the conversion is not a 1-2-3 thing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
701 Posts
Is is possible to take a tune in my car on diablo software and convert it to this and then play with it and see what does what?

It depends. Many people have been able to read the Diablo tune out with HP Tuners and modify it and put it back.

2015+ cars - there have been some issues where the tune had some crazy things happen.

YMMV

See thread on HP Tuners below:

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?71364-Corrupt-PCM-trims-be-wild&highlight=trims+wild

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,957 Posts
I was able to read all my DS tunes from Arrington with HP tuners which helped me understand the changes they made to allow my 2015 RT to run with a maggie. I think the hardest part of using HP tuners is getting your tables set-up properly in VCM scanner and knowing which tables impact the tune. I mean, there are so many idle tables it takes some fiddling to figure out what each one does kenandjenn eludes to.

Now on the HP site, there were a few tuners that pointed out that reading a tune that was performed using DS can create some crazy fuel trim issues. But the way I imported my tune was to first read my stock tune, then load the DS tune with the trinity, which I then read and copied the changes to the stock tune. Although on my particular vehicle, if I make any modifications to the FA increase/decrease values my fuel trims go crazy and I get DTCs saying all my injectors (except #4...if I remember) are electrically open. Other than that everything works fine.

Main thing is to have an wideband installed if you want to mess with WOT fueling...especially if you are running headers/FI/cam.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Yessir , read and save(with Hp)the tune(custom/diablo) loaded on your car. Then unmarry diablo device, going back to original backup. Then read original tune with Hp tuners and save that. Then you can write the saved(custom) tune with Hp. After , you can compare with Hp and see what changes were made.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,957 Posts
BTW on my 2015, reading the complete tune from the PCM takes about 15 minutes so make sure you have your car on a battery charger. It took a while to read the DS 87/93 tunes along with the 5 tunes from Arrington. A PITA but worth it. On my wife's 2013 JGC I also read the 87/93 diablo canned tunes which only takes about 9 minutes each read.

MAKE SURE YOU SAVE YOUR STOCK TUNE!! MAKE A BACK-UP OF YOUR BACK-UP AND THEN BACK THAT UP!!

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,576 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,957 Posts
Does this mean that the Trinity still thinks the HP modified tune is a Diablo Sport tune?
Some tuners think it is linked to the PCM originally being tuned with diablo's CMR and that it somehow becomes corrupt when tuned with HP. Here is the post.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?71364-Corrupt-PCM-trims-be-wild&highlight=crazy

BTW - if you have a modified tune that you loaded to the PCM with HP tuners, the trinity will not marry to the vehicle until you re-flash the stock tune back with HP tuners.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,957 Posts

Yeah your values are lower than my SC 5.7. Hemituna on the HP forum states that going small on the airflow numbers generally improves throttle response and driveability. I guess you have to play around until you find a sweet spot. This kind of trial and error approach is what makes learning how to use these tables a little frustrating.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Yessir , read and save(with Hp)the tune(custom/diablo) loaded on your car. Then unmarry diablo device, going back to original backup. Then read original tune with Hp tuners and save that. Then you can write the saved(custom) tune with Hp. After , you can compare with Hp and see what changes were made.

Nice
Thanks for the info I may dig into this

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have a Diablo PCM in mine and haven't had any issues loading a new tune until this weekend. It glitched in the middile of a tune and would not attempt to reload the tune. I finally pulled the battery cable for about 5 minutes and haven't had any more issues.

Considering I have loaded hundreds of tunes, it has done pretty good. With version 4.0, HP changed how tunes load. They sped up the process substantially, but I think it may have caused my loss of connection with the bus.

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

After warming up for 3-4 minutes, so I can still hear a little throttle surge in it.

When the car is hot and full up to temp, the idle is almost perfectly rhythmic.

I'm pretty much done with it now... can't do much more with it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,801 Posts
Fine tuning the cam - YouTube

After warming up for 3-4 minutes, so I can still hear a little throttle surge in it.

When the car is hot and full up to temp, the idle is almost perfectly rhythmic.

I'm pretty much done with it now... can't do much more with it.
You sure can't do much better on that! That's what a Muscle car should sound like!! DANG, that sounds good!!!

You did a Great job on the tune and now I need a new keyboard because I just drooled all over mine and shorted it out! :D

How's she drive? Does she lope alot when coming off idle or pull away smoothly? Do you have the specs on your cam or were they proprietary for the builder?

Thanks also for the tuning tips and the video. I've been wanting to sit down and learn about our cars computers, but just haven't made the time. You posts help me want to find the time (that video of yours and MDS, makes me want to change the cam., but I'm too cheap :)). :cheers:

Once again, Fantastic job!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 89 Posts