Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
786 Posts
This sounds like what is wrong with my tune. It hunts for idle when hot, but no issues with starting hot. My mods are simple - CAI, Fastman throttle, Catback, and 180 t-stat. I get 434whp and 436wtq in my 2011 392 A5. 12.369 @ 112mph best time on stock Goodyear 255/45/20 junk.

The car was tuned on a cold day (40). The place I got it tuned is long out of business. I guess there isn't a way to fix this if all I have is a Trinity (which he used just to upload the tune).

For the most part it runs fine. When it is stuck in traffic and getting hot, the idle will surge. Gets exciting if my foot isn't on the brake. I chalk it up to the car being mad because it wants to GO.
If the injectors haven't been changed it's probably not this issue.

It's hard to say what's wrong with it without being able to see the tune. I doubt there is much to be gained from a tune with your short mod list so I'd try throwing a stock tune back in and see how it runs.

It could be related to the larger throttle body.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,313 Posts
Actually without a log with the right pids (fuel trims, spark, expected/actual torque, torque source, commanded idle RPM, desired/total airflow...etc) captured and tune hard to diagnose. When I have a problem I usually do an advanced search in the dodge tuning section on the HP tuners forum when I am completely lost.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Contact Joshua at HHP; a vendor here. He can tune your ride. I'd make some good data logs before contacting him, as he'll use those for the tune. If you don't know how to do all of this, he'll help with that too.
Josh did my tune. He is good but he has way too much to deal with right now. He got my WOT tune done but I'm still battling driveability months later. That was the actual motivator for me buying HP Tuners and learning to tune. Tired of paying a tone of money and dealing with a car that has poor driveability.... This isn't to bash Josh or HHP.. they are great overall, but tunes are currently taking forever. I'm sure it will be better at the end of the season.

I bumped up the air in the starting table.. that did help.. I will hopefully get it set to nice crisp starts soon, cold and hot starts can use some fine tuning. I'm still working thrugh tuning classes, and figuring out how Dodge has their compensation tables laid out. I did get my throttle responss dialed in nicely from the information Hemituna postd in the HP Tuner forums. I also have my idle dialdd in but still battling some rpm hunt while moving.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,313 Posts
Speaking of HP tuning, I finally got around to messing with the air tables again. Every time I did the throttle felt funny and I would quickly go back to basically stock (one key thing I learned is you essentially need to make all 3 tables similar...i.e. follow the same curve...just plot all 3 stock tables and you will see what I mean). I tried the air tables from the tune in this thread and all I can say is wow...pedal felt great and revs in neutral were very crispy and quick. Enabling sport mode made it a tad touchy but in normal mode car felt like a beast. To me lowering the airflow is so counterintuitive even though Hemituna has explained it several times.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Speaking of HP tuning, I finally got around to messing with the air tables again. Every time I did the throttle felt funny and I would quickly go back to basically stock (one key thing I learned is you essentially need to make all 3 tables similar...i.e. follow the same curve...just plot all 3 stock tables and you will see what I mean). I tried the air tables from the tune in this thread and all I can say is wow...pedal felt great and revs in neutral were very crispy and quick. Enabling sport mode made it a tad touchy but in normal mode car felt like a beast. To me lowering the airflow is so counterintuitive even though Hemituna has explained it several times.

Are you able to see tables for the sport mode? I wonder if sport mode is just a change in those tables.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,313 Posts
Yeh sport is one of the drive modes and enabling it makes the pedal touchy. I just reset the adaptives and darn engine revs like crazy just before warm-up. This is apparently par for the course and takes time to dial in but I figure I would try it. Now that I got a taste of how the throttle can respond...I want it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Are you able to see tables for the sport mode? I wonder if sport mode is just a change in those tables.
OST Dyno is tuning my transmission as well, they said it will drive normal when not in sport mode, the Transmission tuning comes in when in Sport mode so I would say there has to be separate tables for it.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Yeh sport is one of the drive modes and enabling it makes the pedal touchy. I just reset the adaptives and darn engine revs like crazy just before warm-up. This is apparently par for the course and takes time to dial in but I figure I would try it. Now that I got a taste of how the throttle can respond...I want it.
I adjusted those on my tune too... night and day pedal response. Feels like the boost transition is better too.

I'm thinking when you go into Sport Mode the pcm changes those exact parameters.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
786 Posts
I adjusted those on my tune too... night and day pedal response. Feels like the boost transition is better too.

I'm thinking when you go into Sport Mode the pcm changes those exact parameters.

The drive modes change which of the the driver demand power % request mode X and expected pedal mode X tables are used as far as changes to throttle response.
The TB airflow model and small and large range tables are not affected.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts