Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install STS twin turbos on an 09 SRT8. Does anybody here have STS turbos and if so is it worth the extra coin over supercharging?

I also plan on installing the kit myself and tunning it with STS's techs VIA phone and email with supplied Predetor tuner. They claim dyno tesing is not necessary for this application given my goal of 500hp at the wheels.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :pimp:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
There's only one guy I know of running twin turbos on this forum and that's Jeff (70/TA). He's the guy heading to ForumWars.

Turbos will make excellent power, but not the instant torque of a supercharger.

The only thing that concerns me is STS telling you they'll do e-mail tuning. That's a recipe for disaster if you ask me. I'd definitely want a qualified tuner with his fingers on the keyboard locally on the dyno.

I wouldn't go over about 7psi of boost on the stock motor.

Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
For 500 HP you don't need either one , go NA and get the block done first, at that point you can upgrade in the future if needed.
Tout

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
For 500 HP you don't need either one , go NA and get the block done first, at that point you can upgrade in the future if needed.
Tout
X2. Get a built motor first. Cost is similar and you will make similar power at the wheels as a blower @ 6psi or so.

5,134 Posts
Do it! Turbos requires less boost to make the same power as Superchargers. I'm not a big fan of the rear-mounted setup -- I'd look into the Hellion setup instead.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I'd love to see another TT Challenger. Remote tuning turbos, though...not what I'd recommend. Get someone that's done at least a few Challengers. Ain't the same as tunning TT's on a GM or Ford...

HemiSam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Torque vs. hp is an interesting topic. I suppose I'm looking for the best overall performance per dollar spent. I also live in CT where emissions laws somewhat constrain ones desire for major engine work thus my interest in forced induction. I don't know of any local turbo shops that are Challenger friendly with regard to turbo charging. I have eyed Redline motorsports in NY about possibly supercharging but still leaning toward TTs with no engine mods to start. Are their any reliable turbo shops in CT area that have experience with Challengers??

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
The STS Kit is a very efficient kit and makes heaps of torque on a stock motor the tuning is the most difficult part of the installation.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Tuning, tuning, tuning....like 70 said. Gotta have it, dude. Don't jump until you have confidence the shop has been there, done that.

HemiSam

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Torque vs. hp is an interesting topic. I suppose I'm looking for the best overall performance per dollar spent. I also live in CT where emissions laws somewhat constrain ones desire for major engine work thus my interest in forced induction. I don't know of any local turbo shops that are Challenger friendly with regard to turbo charging. I have eyed Redline motorsports in NY about possibly supercharging but still leaning toward TTs with no engine mods to start. Are their any reliable turbo shops in CT area that have experience with Challengers??
you can always do your install and bring it over to my guy he's got a handle on the twin turbo tunes :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts