Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really getting tired of the gas milage of my rt. I was thinking of getting an se and maby pullin the v6 and putting in a turbo diesel. Should get better milage and I could up the boost to like 50psi if I wanted to.any thoughts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
What sort of diesel with approx 250 horsepower can you find that weighs anything close to the same as a mostly aluminum v6 gas engine?

SE can achieve near 30mpg highway driving with good gas..I thought the RT Challenger's were supposed to get something similiar..this not so?

·
Banned
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not when your pushing near 700hp at the crank.plus a diesel has a beter carbon footprint then the gas engine. And lastly,if i wanted more power,I just crank up the boost.right?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Not when your pushing near 700hp at the crank.plus a diesel has a beter carbon footprint then the gas engine. And lastly,if i wanted more power,I just crank up the boost.right?
Don't think you'll find a diesel that's capable of the torque and HP numbers to make it worthwhile that doesn't also weigh 3x as much as the V6. Sure, there's the 3.0L BlueTec diesel used in the MB E350...but at 210hp/400lb-ft you're going to fall asleep from going so slow. Plus the fuel economy isn't much better (22mpg/33mpg rated).

Also, if fuel economy is your reasoning behind the swap, consider that it will likely cost $10,000+ to do a quality swap. How much gas would that buy? A lot. If you went from 25mpg to 29mpg average, a 4mpg improvement, that's a difference of $0.022/mi (2.2 cents per mile). How many miles would it take to make up the cost of the swap in fuel savings based on a $10,000 cost for the swap? Over 454,000 miles.

50psi? You'll need twins for that, 50psi out of a small diesel would take a large turbo and the lag would be unbearable.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one, and I'm a big diesel buff that would love to see a diesel option in everything but you'd be spending thousands...a lot of them...to literally save pennies.

You'd be better off buying a used MB 300TD or VW TDI to use as a daily driver and save your Challenger for pleasure driving. It'd be cheaper, too.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Add on top of that that Diesel fuel is between 15 and 45 cents more per gallon. If you want better fuel economy you will have to buy a Prius or a Civic.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Im really getting tired of the gas milage of my rt. I was thinking of getting an se and maby pullin the v6 and putting in a turbo diesel. Should get better milage and I could up the boost to like 50psi if I wanted to.any thoughts?
I thought you didn't drink? I guess this is what happens when you kick a few back.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
just get a jetta

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
Keep the R/T and buy a motorcycle for better gas mileage on nicer days. I can get up to 50 mpg on the highway with my Road King (800 pound motorcycle).

·
Banned
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I'm not selling the rt,too much fun to drive.I just wanted something with better mpg and a better carbon foot print.I wasnt planning on having a 700hp td just one with some omph.Ben looking at maby an Isuzu td.allowed to be really good motors.sure its gone take some fab work but I think Gso wants to help with this build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I doubt a swap would be worth it.

Nevertheless, I personally think turbodiesels make the most sense for the entry level muscle cars. They accelerate hard and get great gas mileage. Sure they don't roar like a hemi and they're limited at the top end, but if you're on a budget they're great.

I wonder how many people would jump at the chance to drive a Challenger if they couuld have one that looked like, and was optioned like an R/T or SRT, but could average in combined cycle 35-40 mpg.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Oh I'm not selling the rt,too much fun to drive.I just wanted something with better mpg and a better carbon foot print.I wasnt planning on having a 700hp td just one with some omph.Ben looking at maby an Isuzu td.allowed to be really good motors.sure its gone take some fab work but I think Gso wants to help with this build.
I did not think you get a better carbon foot print than you already are getting? I am mean your car only runs about 3 weeks a year doesn't it? :naughty: :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm always thinking "green" whenever I run my Cummins diesel. :bigthumb:

Brad

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Add on top of that that Diesel fuel is between 15 and 45 cents more per gallon. If you want better fuel economy you will have to buy a Prius or a Civic.
More $ per gallon doesn't always translate into more $ per mile. The "anti-diesel" people (Not saying you're one, just that often times people only look at the fuel price per gallon) try to use the fuel cost argument but often times it doesn't fly.

$3.89/gal for 87 @ 25mpg = $0.155/mi
$4.05/gal for diesel @ 29mpg = $0.139/mi

1.6 cents per mile cheaper but 16 cents per gallon more expensive for the diesel. Those are today's fuel prices by my house. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Carbon footprint - oh brother. :notallthere:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts