Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to RDP Motorsports today and talked with DynoSteve. He is currently working on a 2009 SE turbo. I am really interested in Turbo charging mine. I asked him to ballpark the price . $6900.00 is what he quoted me. If I trade my 2010 in for a 2011 RT they want to give me 19k , so the money I would of lost can go for that turbo, I really like my SE. He is estimating 400HP+ to the wheel. I don't know who is getting build #1 but I know who is getting #2. Steve is the man when it comes to this stuff. I took a few pics of the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went out to RDP Motorsports today and talked with DynoSteve. He is currently working on a 2009 SE turbo. I am really interested in Turbo charging mine. I asked him to ballpark the price . $6900.00 is what he quoted me. If I trade my 2010 in for a 2011 RT they want to give me 19k , so the money I would of lost can go for that turbo, I really like my SE. He is estimating 400HP+ to the wheel. I don't know who is getting build #1 but I know who is getting #2. Steve is the man when it comes to this stuff. I took a few pics of the outside.
I don't think so. your 250 hp at the crank, no way going to 400 at wheels on a stock internals 3.5 v6.

A 3.5 v6 in a prowler with a paxton sc at 8.5 psi made 295 rwhp, 335 rwtq. With wet 50 shot and boost up to 10 psi, made 330 rwhp.

Unless that 400 rwhp is on a stroked (4.0) and forged 3.5 based block, no way. With a stroked v6 and the 7 grand quoted, your pushing almost 15K.

My stock internals 2006 300C 5.7 on 7 psi was pulling 411 rwhp and 500 rwtq. The 3.5 is not going to get there.

Do some research to get some references.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yes, hanging a turbo on a stock 3.5 and thinking you will get 400 rwhp is way too optimistic. At 15% drivetrain loss, that is about 470 crank horsepower to net 400 at the wheels. Going from 250 bhp to around 470 bhp is an increase of 88% with just a turbo. Apply that same gain to a stock 5.7 with 376 bhp and you get around 700 bhp and 600 rwhp. Just as a stock 5.7 isn't going to turn into a 600 rwhp monster with a turbo, a stock 3.5 isn't going to turn into a 400 rwhp engine either. Nothing against the 3.5 or 5.7, but a turbo isn't going to give you 88% more power. Life is not that EZ.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just relaying what he had told me. But I will tell you this if anyone can do it DynoSteve can.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Did the guy mention low compression pistons? Because doing it on the stock 10:1 compression probably is not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
sure 400 whp is not a problem, built engine (pistons, rods, valves, cams, springs, harder loose bearings), port and polished heads, twin turbo front mounted, intercooler, real exhaust system, sheet metal intake, bigger T/B, heck as far as I know these NA FI cars have a hard time dealing with boost and anytype of open / close loop transitions, so I'd toss the factory FI completely and do a stand alone with new pump, line and rails and injectors maybe even twin injectors cause 1000cc injectors suck at idle. Figure the trans would need to be built and have a new brain, toss in a stall, the driveshaft is hopeless need a new one, the rear end is hopeless so you would need the 216mm with LSD and some 3.92, shafts hubs, might as well toss on the R/T rear brakes while your back there, assume the ABS won't work now with the stand alone and the bigger brakes so toss that out. $20 to 25k should just about cover it. On race day I can see 500 WHP before the walls balloon out on the block. Would be fun. Cost overruns and time overruns, the car will be off the road 1 year or more.

If I went to boost, the limit as Matrix has said is 300 whp before the trans goes, and not much more before the pistons go.

19K is good for a trade on a R/T, I figure mine is worth 16K max and no DWB in 2011, or I would think about it.

So there is NO cheap way to hotrod a V6 to stock hemi levels and to go above SRT levels it is going to be expensive, and it will take time and you will find limits. It would be fun but it would make NO economic sense.

The Pentastar is a little different as at least you can get the 216mm rear and brakes from the factory.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
For over 6 Gs maybe something else is being done besides the turbo and piping. To be fair we don't know.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
250-275 at the wheels would be great 400.... gonna take hard parts.... sorry!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
truth be told, I'm sure there could be a setup that would do 400 WHP on stock engine, trans and rear. The question is how long would it last. It is like when I was debating the guy with the 625 WHP Hemi, I tell him, why don't you take it to the tracks? Or since it was setup with a road race suspension, a road race or autoX.... zero answer. Cuase we all know it is a dyno queen. Take a 625 WHP hemi and actually wanting to use the HP is going to be dunno 20k into the engine and drivetrain and still I don't know, clearly not a single stock part can take it in a race: motor, trans, converter, driveshafts, rear pumpkin, frame. Do I think the car can put down 5 seconds of WOT on a non-loaded dyno? heck ya. Do I think somebody could bulid 400 WHP on a stock drivetrain for 5 seconds on an unloaded dyno? heck yeh, but Say 30K miles with some careful fun, um we talking big bucks and lots of down time, cause once again, maybe the 5 speed can take it, I doubt anything else can.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Now 300 WHP or maybe a tad over can be reached by:
Supercharger, meth injection, headers, good dual exhaust, for a little less boost and heat, you could add cams for inertia stage 1.1. The advantage of this is it looks cool. $6000 to $6500 for the cams to $7200 for long tubes which is not needed on a supercharged engine.

Or STS turbo, this is going to be cheaper, and it is intercooled, boost will come on slower AND there is nothing to look at. $5500

Soon after this, traction is going to be a problem and the only fix is a complete 216mm rear end 3.92 gears LSD, half shafts and hubs... say $3000.

For 400 WHP, I would assume a second hand R/T with a heads, cam, exhaust, would be close, sooner or later it will need converter, gears and a LSD too.... I think the R/T would be the more dependable / turn key, but ho hmm seen a million of them builds. At some point and I have NOT a clue when you have to look at a 6.1 or 6.4 block to get the WHP and that is going to add some $$$$ to the build.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/pe...c-racing-heads-cam-vs-arington-heads-cam.html

So 400 whp is a nice number, but I wounder how much it would take to have a 5.7 put that out SAE? Every engine has its cheap HP vs crazy expensive HP. For the 3.5 to 4.0 I would say 265 wHP NA till somebody builds a new intake manifold, after that low 300 whp streetable. For forced induction it is 300 WHP, stock engine, forged engine and turbo 400 WHP, once again intake limits, then there will be wall limits uless you run a iron block, then there will be head lifting. Better off tossing the whole thing and putting in a Skyline or Supra engine... ala Fast and Furry Tokyo drift.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After I had a chance to think about my Turbo SE , I think I will just let it be. I am just going to get a RT and be done with it. That's what I should of purchased in the first place. I looked at a used 2010 DWB today with 15k, dealer certified . Real good looking ride. He offered me 22k for mine. Better than the low ballers telling me 19k. Will have more info on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
good luck there MCS
people drive the HEMI's pretty aggressively so make sure it's good and checked out

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
better option there MCS. Nothing against the SE, but they werent made to go fast, they were made to look good. Nothing you can do to it will make it as fast as an RT or SRT. Be happy with the way it looks. If you want more power, the go with the used RT and build from there.

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
good luck there MCS
people drive the HEMI's pretty aggressively so make sure it's good and checked out
Heavy???? Maybe thats why "the change oil, contact dealer" message appears every 1500 miles...LOL Yea I'd say I drive her a little heavy, so that is very good advice. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good luck there MCS
This is a Chrysler executives car from Detroit. Dealer certified and carries an extra 5k on the warranty. It has 15,862 miles on it. Pretty well optioned out . 28J option, sunroof, heated leather seats. 276 watt amp? whatever that is.6 Boston acoustics speakers. And it has a HEMI. They have it priced at $29,999 I offered them 28,000 and they are going to give me 22,000 for my SE. I think it's a ok deal. Car is like brand new as is mine. I really never got a good look at that DWB color before, it's nice. Like I said will know more Monday.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is a Chrysler executives car from Detroit. Dealer certified and carries an extra 5k on the warranty. It has 15,862 miles on it. Pretty well optioned out . 28J option, sunroof, heated leather seats. 276 watt amp? whatever that is.6 Boston acoustics speakers. And it has a HEMI. They have it priced at $29,999 I offered them 28,000 and they are going to give me 22,000 for my SE. I think it's a ok deal. Car is like brand new as is mine. I really never got a good look at that DWB color before, it's nice. Like I said will know more Monday.
Ask the dealer if they put on the custom striping. It is odd to see a Chrysler company car with custom decal work on it since it says in our paperwork that when the vehicle is turned in, all non-factory decal must be removed, but all factory decal must remain intact.

·
Registered
110 Posts
MCS, that sounds like a very good deal. I think the dealer maybe realizing that a V6 will likely be easier to sell than the V8. That is good for you. Now please don't think I was knocking your V6, they are nice, and I like them.

I know where the quote came from, and I hate seeing someone fed a load of BS. Do some search on where your quote come from on some of the other hemi forums. An enlightened owner is a wiser owner.

Good luck on the car, I would love to find one like it in the future.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
better option there MCS. Nothing against the SE, but they werent made to go fast, they were made to look good. Nothing you can do to it will make it as fast as an RT or SRT. Be happy with the way it looks. If you want more power, the go with the used RT and build from there.
true enough. the SE is an awesome looking car for the value minded buyer. that value comes at the loss of in your face, grunt acceleration and torque.
spending big coin on go fast mods on an SE makes no sense to me unless you just enjoy the build up process.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Sounds like a screaming deal! DWB... the best.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts