Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 7psi waste gates. I have the gates referenced to the compressor housing. I'm only seeing about 4psi of boost on my gauge and I hear the gates opening up. They cosistantly open at about 4psi and hold the boost there. Could there really be 3psi of boost being lost from the tubing and intercooler to the engine? just seems strange to me that the 7psi gates are opening at 4psi.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What kind of gates and where is your boost gauge getting reference? Had a similar issue many moons ago with a Tial gate and the diaphragm was incorrectly installed pre-delivery.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gauge is referenced to the intake manifold. I was thinking along the same line that maybe something on the wastegate wasn't right, but it should still boost only one turbo would be spooling hard while the other was lazy I would think. I'm really leaning towards there being a lot of loss in the pipes and intercooler.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,006 Posts
If 7psi waste gates are opening at 4psi they are not 7psi waste gates but 4psi waste gates.

Seriously, I am having a hard time imagining a turbo plumbing job that would have have the system losing 3psi of boost from the turbo to the engine intake ports. I have to suspect the gates are not adjusted properly, your boost gauge is not reading correct.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If 7psi waste gates are opening at 4psi they are not 7psi waste gates but 4psi waste gates.

Seriously, I am having a hard time imagining a turbo plumbing job that would have have the system losing 3psi of boost from the turbo to the engine intake ports. I have to suspect the gates are not adjusted properly, your boost gauge is not reading correct.
Another solid possibility. Bench test them for pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts