Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently following a build being done for the V6 single turbo being done by RDP Motorsport you can find him on facebook he's also getting ready to do a v6 camaro.
This is a local car and I can't wait for the outcome... :)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No this isn't a STS kit it is a custom kit being put together the turbo will mount in the engine bay area or near the transmission, also the turbo sizes will be tested to see what size best fits the application.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
maybe it will be more efficiant and less "fun" than the rear systems.. with all those clamps.. I knowone of the baddest r/t six speeds out there wit a rear kit i would love to get my hands on...

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe it will be more efficiant and less "fun" than the rear systems.. with all those clamps.. I knowone of the baddest r/t six speeds out there wit a rear kit i would love to get my hands on...
Dan you might get your wish...:scratchhead:

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More Pictures

Started to get the turbo fitted up

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
those kits dont seem so efficient ... I remember when i had my turbos .. you wanted the shortest distance to travel in a tube cause forced air thru a tube causes friction and friction causes heat atleats his intercooler is closer .. and you want the intercooler as close as you can get it due to the air again with friction .. if it has to go far after the intercooler then the air heats up again .... but I also feel turbos are better than SC but tuneing seems to be alot better in a SC .. turbos are temprimental ... like lil [email protected]#$s . if they dont feel like running ... the fowl up ....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've been running 4 banger turbo setups for decades, and yes with 1.8 liters or so to work with you really want the turbo close to the engine. With a stock OEM setup you want it close for spool and for smog. I've worked on a LS1 turbo rear mount setup and that setup is bad action, in fact the slight and I mean slight delay in boost hit helps the car put down traction. You don't need nor want the insant N20 type of torque hit, that kind of torque just breaks things and breaks the tires away. Really the rear mount turbo on larger engines IMO is near ideal. Plus if you want a quick spool up nothing beats a highstall converter.

Problem with the supercharger setups so far, there is no intercooler and this is already kind of a large bore engine with a high CR and fragile to boost piston ring pack. So from a thermal load per HP of output, an intercooler really is needed. I'd like to see the Vortec kit with an intercooler top mount fed by a mopar pro stock hood scoop, or just massive louvers would be cool too, pun intended.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Little update the reasons for this turbo being placed in this position is so that it will be carb legal when all done so that's why it has to be mounted behind the cat... stay tuned :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Oh wow this is exciting news, im curious why not twin turbo?... the v6 camaro can have a twin turbo just check out jay leno's.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Looks good, like the pipe work but wow... how close is that going to be to the ground? I have a spare set of 20" wheels and tires if the car needs to be raised :)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no there will be plenty of clearance when she's all finished going to tuck up in the opening. They are getting ready to do a single turbo on the Camaro also using one large turbo is better than 2 on the stock motors...all new territory guys :)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh wow this is exciting news, im curious why not twin turbo?... the v6 camaro can have a twin turbo just check out jay leno's.
so far the twin turbo set up by turbonetics is only for the SS

1 - 20 of 29 Posts