Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me how to turn off the 4 cylinder econo mode when not in sport. i do not like how it continually goes back and forth.
Is there a device that I can buy that has that option, because it looks like that setting is not an option.
I have 2020 Challenger R/T

Thanks,
Don

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Normally you would need a handheld tuner to disable MDS, but I remember running across a device somewhere that specifically did that and only that. I don’t have a link unfortunately, but if you search around for a MDS disabled I bet you can find it.

Reactions: DrRocStar

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,717 Posts
Autostick mode, manual mode, or just enjoy saving gas.

Reactions: 72/340

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
or just enjoy saving gas
Personally speaking, I was never able to enjoy saving gas very much because the sound and vibration of it consistently annoyed the piss out of me.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Personally speaking, I was never able to enjoy saving gas very much because the sound and vibration of it consistently annoyed the piss out of me.
I really don't get this. I know I see a lot of people say that, but only VERY occasionally I even notice it. And that is at low speeds in maybe 3rd or 4th, but it only lasts a couple seconds. I guess since it is so hilly here.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
I really don't get this. I know I see a lot of people say that, but only VERY occasionally I even notice it. And that is at low speeds in maybe 3rd or 4th, but it only lasts a couple seconds. I guess since it is so hilly here.
Non-stock exhaust seems to exacerbate the annoyance...and my exhaust is always non-stock

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
I find highway cruising is when it's most noticeable and it can be annoying sometimes.
I barely notice it once up to speed, and only because of the transition. If you asked me which mode it was in, I probably couldn't tell when going 55+. I bet if I lived somewhere flat, and was going say 35-40 for a while, I would hear it more when it does sound funky to me. In my 5.7 Charger, I couldn't hear anything, but it didn't have the active exhaust either.
Also, at lower speeds I think the 6.4 uses it less, because it can upshift earlier and still have enough torque to drive decently, saving gas. But at 30-40 mph or so when it does kick in, it does sound funky.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
It doesn't bother me on the highway but in town it drives me nuts. I have to leave it in sport mode in town. On my old 2010 R/T I had it turned off with my tuner.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
I heard that the Tazer from zautomotive will turn off the mds. Also will give you more options for your car.
The MDS functionality is part of the PCM’s tune configuration, which the Tazer does not alter AFAIK. If it can turn MDS off, that’s something new they have added in a recent release/version.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,275 Posts
It doesn't bother me on the highway but in town it drives me nuts. I have to leave it in sport mode in town. On my old 2010 R/T I had it turned off with my tuner.
Yep, I drive in Sport Mode all the time, even on long road trips.

That MDS vibration is annoying, and that tone is the bad icing on a bad cake to me.

When I can get a 25+ mpg average on a 2k road trip, I'm happy to give up 1-1.5 mpg enjoying the 392 running on all 8.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,087 Posts
On my SRT, one of the first things I do is press the SRT button twice to put it in custom mode which has the MDS off. It would be nice if it was permanent though. I've no use for MDS and don't know how anyone could drive that way, gas savings and all!

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
861 Posts
Thats my experience as well. You would have to have your radio turned OFF to hear it as well. I thought my Mom was the only one that had the radio off all the time lol.
I turn my MDS off often (sport mode) around town but on any kind of trips i have the MDS on.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
The way I see it, running on only 4 cylinders could leave the other 4 inactive cylinders feeling left out and envious of the active ones.

Pretty soon that jealousy could turn into resentment and anger, thereby driving a wedge between the engine’s cylinders.

It’s only a short trip from there to outright revolt, and then what? The dealership has not the tools to quell a cylinder rebellion.

In the end you’ll be left with an engine on the verge of a civil war, and as Thomas Jefferson once said, “A Hemi divided against itself cannot lay down stinky burnouts!”

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
I heard that the Tazer from zautomotive will turn off the mds. Also will give you more options for your car.
Tazer will not turn off MDS, but what people do is use it to set the car to start with Sport Mode on...and that turns off MDS

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
The way I see it, running on only 4 cylinders could leave the other 4 inactive cylinders feeling left out and envious of the active ones.

Pretty soon that jealousy could turn into resentment and anger, thereby driving a wedge between the engine’s cylinders.
Then when you finally let them join the crowd, they feel well rested, cooled down ready to perform at their best, and surpass the other 4 that have been running warm already. Competition is good for everyone. (except losers, it sucks for them)

Reactions: DakBuilder
1 - 20 of 31 Posts