Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys try this stuff? I followed the directions, and it left a greasy haze on my car. Still trying to buff it out. :soapbox:

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
2 words.... Griots Garage!

I stopped using ICE and went to Griots and never looked back!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can't say whats going on with the Turtle wax as I use a better quality ( IMO ) wax. Either Griots Best of show or Adams. But you can get the wax that is on there now off with some Paint Prep. You can usually pick it up at your auto parts store. Try to get a wax that is at least Carnauba Based. Next don't lay the wax on with a trowel.A thin coat works best. Don't know if that is what you did , just saying.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,788 Posts
Any of you guys try this stuff? I followed the directions, and it left a greasy haze on my car. Still trying to buff it out. :soapbox:
I haven't used the TW ICE liquid wax, but I have used the ICE spray wax and ICE paste polish before, and for the most part, I was satisfied the results.

Without knowing more details (how was it applied, how was it removed, was the temp too low, was the humidity too high, etc), I could only offer a guess for your situation: it sounds like too much of the wax was applied, making it difficult to buff off properly, especially if attempting to do so by hand.

If that is the case, you could hit the hazy spots with some spray wax and buff again to get it all buffed off.

Also, I have seen similar results for a couple diff waxes when I did the wax application when temp and humidity were unusual - foggy, balmy, etc.

As others have said, there are better waxes out there, but that does not mean the ICE wax is a bad product. It's OTC, and it won't stain the trim - those can be real life-savers sometimes!

Nuke

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
165 Posts
You only need to use a very small amount. The liquid is great for trim, touch up, etc. but I prefer the paste. Most people that have problems with it use way too much product. You only need a light film of the stuff and two towels to get it off. (one to get it off and the second to buff out any remaining) One thing Turtle wax Ice does that most others won't is that it will not leave a white film on black trim or plastic or in small finish scratches. For me this is what makes it better than most polish/waxes that cost much more. Lasts pretty long as well.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I always use Meguiar's 3 step Deep Crystal wax. I will say this though, the Turtle Wax Ice spray detailer works awesome in keeping the car detailed, best one I've ever used. Leave's absolutely no haze or film.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have used Turtle ICE since it came out on all my cars and motorcycles. Use the paste wax, spray wax, and detailer and have never had an issue or problem. I also use Griots Garage stuff and really like their products. I apply the ICE with micro fiber pad and remove/buff it with micro fiber rags. I like the ICE because you can used on everything, including the vinyl side stripes, and it leaves no white residue anywhere.

·
Registered
535 Posts
ICE paste worked great on my truck

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I used the ICE liquid wax on my Ram, same problem as the OP. It left a greasy film that didn't dry or wipe up, tossed it in the garbage. Never had any problems with Mothers or Meguiar's.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What color is your Challenger? Did you apply the Ice in the shade when the paint surface was cool?
Redline 3 coat pearl. They say you can apply it in the sun but I never do that with any products. I usually do it early in the morning, on a cloudy day, or in an open garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts