Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think after thought and research, twin turbo will be the direction I take the
srt. From what I am learning, correct me if I am wrong, may double my fuel millage as well, which is worth it...think about it. Can anyone start pointing me in the right direction. I want to do this without voiding my warranty. That correct, so it must be a provider that knows there "stuff". I understand this is
my best route being this ride will see a few miles...I've been told, look at aprox. 7-8 grand... really?:thumbsup: Thanks for all input..

·
Registered
135 Posts
srt. From what I am learning, correct me if I am wrong, may double my fuel millage as well, which is worth it...think about it. Can anyone start pointing me in the right direction. I want to do this without voiding my warranty. That correct, so it must be a provider that knows there "stuff". I understand this is
my best route being this ride will see a few miles...I've been told, look at aprox. 7-8 grand... really?:thumbsup: Thanks for all input..
As an owner of a TT you are definitely not going to double your fuel mileage or even increase it. If any you will get worse as I assume you are thinking about installing turbos for more power which means you will be using the power and there goes your fuel mileage.

A TT setup is awesome as they are more efficient than supercharging as they do not take power from the engine to make power. Boost is also easily changed on the fly or even better progressive boost changes via a controller VS a supercharger where a pulley change and time to change it are required.

As far a 7-8K that seems a bit low unless you are buying the turbos yourself and fabricating the plumbing and doing the install. Maybe someone sells a DIY kit if so please let me know.

You can talk to Sean Roe at Roe Racing roeracing.com. He modifies a wide variety of dodge products and could answer many of your questions im sure.

Good luck let us know what you choose to do.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hopefully, your going for engine upgrades as well.......
That wouldnt be required if he plans on keeping low boost say under 8 lbs. Boost is boost weather its in supercharger form or turbo form. So stay conservative 5-8 lbs of boost and no problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,137 Posts
srt. From what I am learning, correct me if I am wrong, may double my fuel millage as well, which is worth it...think about it. Can anyone start pointing me in the right direction. I want to do this without voiding my warranty.
This mod will definitely void your warranty. I would wait two more years when your 3-year warranty expires before doing it.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Twin turbos are a more complicated install and will be pricier than your standard supercharger kit. And as other have said, a turbo isn't going to help in the gas mileage part. All blowers force more air into the engine, which needs a corresponding increase in fuel injected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rich that is some set up love it..i am undecided on witch way to go.. what made you decide to go wit the turbos and not the sc ?? what was your main goal ? i drive my 2010 every day did that play a roll in your decision ? thanks!!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I also have the Hellion kit as well as 3 customers of mine.

1. Gas mileage will never double. Really curious where that came from
2. Vehicle powertrain warranty is gone with any forced induction
3. The kit is $8000 plus install plus tuning. Figure closer to $10,000.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ RICHSRT that photo is sick.
Thanks for all the feed back and link information. Looks like more research and I will gladly
do more. The reason for going for the turbo is not mainly performance, seems between that and SC, the wear on the car will be less, and I have been told mpg improvements, tho the point is made more injection will be needed....

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I gave twins some real thought when my Techco had issues. In the end it wasent for me at this time.
X2 on the Maggie they have some sort of warrenty and will be what you want power wise.
Twins will be more than you are looking for cost wise. But can grow with your needs in the future.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
If you are going to go twins or any big blower, you really should look at upgrading the internals of your block so you can run some real boost. After awhile you will get bored with 5-8 psi and wont be able to really crank it up without a built motor and supporting mods. jmho

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you are going to go twins or any big blower, you really should look at upgrading the internals of your block so you can run some real boost. After awhile you will get bored with 5-8 psi and wont be able to really crank it up without a built motor and supporting mods. jmho
5 psi turbo boost is great for the street.8 psi is nuts,fish tails all over the road,really have to get up on the wheel and make sure no one is next to you!8 psi on a turbo is like a supercharger with 10-11 psi.It's probably 550 rwhp!

·
Registered
6 Posts
@ RICHSRT that photo is sick.
Thanks for all the feed back and link information. Looks like more research and I will gladly
do more. The reason for going for the turbo is not mainly performance, seems between that and SC, the wear on the car will be less, and I have been told mpg improvements, tho the point is made more injection will be needed....
Not sure if it's offered for a Challenger, but I think a centrifugal supercharger like a Paxton, or Procharger would be well suited to what you're looking for. It's true that since turbos are exhaust driven, they don't have the same wear on the crankshaft that a supercharger does, but with your stock motor and low boost, it won't be an issue. If you get a centrifugal supercharger you'll only be making boost at high rpm, so you'll be able to conserve your gas mileage on the low end.

forget about a TT setup increasing gas mileage, it's no going to happen. And really even if it did, the minute amount of money you would save in gas would never add up to the $10K you spend on the TT setup.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Boost is boost, don't see how one is easier on the motor than any other. If anything the charge temps on a turbo will be higher, and heat is a killer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Boost is boost, don't see how one is easier on the motor than any other. If anything the charge temps on a turbo will be higher, and heat is a killer.
A supercharger takes power from the motor to spin putting more stress on the motor also creating more heat. Turbos use exhaust to make power and not reciprocating mass.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
If you look at Speedy's track video,the car launches hard with instant boost.My twin turbo set up has a soft launch till the boost builds.It only takes a second or two, but it saves the driveline,but hurts the 60ft.With the turbos being mounted away from the intake,the air has time to cool with all the piping.I think my IAT's are the same or lower than the SC guys.I ran my best time after 4 runs in 86deg Florida.
That is independent of SC vs. Turbo...you could say the same thing about a centri blower. A lot will depend on the intercooler setup as far as charge temps. I do agree that a PD blower like a kenne bell or maggie is at a disadvantage because they can't take advantage of a large intercooler like a turbo or centri.

A supercharger takes power from the motor to spin putting more stress on the motor also creating more heat. Turbos use exhaust to make power and not reciprocating mass.
Whether that power goes to spin the blower or contributes to the driveline is irrelevant, it doesn't add any more stress to the motor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is independent of SC vs. Turbo...you could say the same thing about a centri blower. A lot will depend on the intercooler setup as far as charge temps. I do agree that a PD blower like a kenne bell or maggie is at a disadvantage because they can't take advantage of a large intercooler like a turbo or centri.

Whether that power goes to spin the blower or contributes to the driveline is irrelevant, it doesn't add any more stress to the motor.
You are 100 percent wrong sir. It takes power to spin a blower it does not take power from the motor to make exhaust to spin the turbos. Do a little research thats why turbos are a more efficient way of boosting a car. I dont care about driveline stress. You are robbing power form the motor to make power with a supercharged. You wrap a belt around the blower to spin it. So the power that it took to spin the motor before has now increased in order to make the blower spin as well. It takes no more power to make exhaust than it did before the turbos were on the car. If you need me to get very specific I will for you im just trying to keep it simple. Its a very proven fact.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
You are 100 percent wrong sir. It takes power to spin a blower it does not take power from the motor to make exhaust to spin the turbos. Do a little research thats why turbos are a more efficient way of boosting a car. I dont care about driveline stress. You are robbing power form the motor to make power with a supercharged. You wrap a belt around the blower to spin it. So the power that it took to spin the motor before has now increased in order to make the blower spin as well. It takes no more power to make exhaust than it did before the turbos were on the car. If you need me to get very specific I will for you im just trying to keep it simple. Its a very proven fact.
I don't disagree with the fact it takes power to drive a supercharger. I disagreed with you stating it put more wear on the engine vs. a turbo. If you have evidence of that let me know.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts